Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 2:42 pm

This is a bit of a shocking case of medical misconduct which was done for monetry gain. I think it is a vile fraud and something which the UK's medical authority rightly considered to be deeply wrong.

What the doctor did was to make a false diagnosis of cancer in various children and then to sell their parents expensive medical services from which he was able to profit.

The final kicker is that the doctor has been diagnosed with autism and is now using the diagnosis to try to wiggle out of it. But when he tried to appeal the General Medical Council's verdict at a court the judges wisely saw through the smoke screen which the disgraced doctor's lawyers tried to use.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-ban.html

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 3:01 pm

Autism or no, he only had a month to make a formal appeal and did not. The Daily mail is making a "meal" out of nothing as per usual.

[As an aside, An adult with the same diagnosis would also be very likely to have cancer indeed. Its just not likely in children. So its A big mistake, but also a simple one.]

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 3:10 pm

The question about the likelyhood of blood cancer in children is not the important one. If the doctor made a mistake and diagnosed cancer when it was not present in a person then it would be a bit of a black eye for the doctor.

The real stinker is that the doctor made either a false or reckless or maybe at best incompetant diagnosis and then tried to profit from it. That is what I am sure they are going after him for,

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm

If there were multiple cases, I might agree, but there is no profit happening with the one case he was accused of. And no, he wasn't struck off the register for fraud...it was malpractice.

So I'd disagree there. I also give him some credit for NOT letting his legal team use autism as a defense. He didn't defend his actions at all. He knew he made a huge mistake, and he's no longer practicing medicine.