Fox News agrees to pay Dominion Voting $787 million.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 11:57 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fox-news-d ... ettlement/

“ . . . a deal to resolve the $1.6 billion defamation case the electronic voting company brought against the cable news giant over unfounded accusations broadcast on its air that Dominion helped rig the 2020 presidential election against former President Donald Trump.

“Dominion attorneys told reporters that Fox would pay $787.5 million to settle the lawsuit . . . ”

“We acknowledge the Court's rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false,” the network said in a statement.

Which is not quite the same as an apology. But I’ll tell you, 787 million dollars goes quite a long ways toward an apology!

And as I move toward my older years . . .

Whatever partial or half-apology a person is able to make, I’m going to go ahead and just accept it. [although doesn’t mean we’re going to be friends moving forward]

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 12:34 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65281876.amp

[ BEFORE THE SETTLEMENT: ]

“ . . a Fox victory would solidify the extremely high bar set for defamation cases in the US, and give the network the legal grounds to be able to report false claims again in the future.

“However, a Dominion win may also lead to other news outlets being sued in the future, potentially even in cases in which they behaved in good faith. . . ”

I understand that it’s a lot harder to prove libel or slander against a public figure here in the U.S. than it is in the UK.

And if people are interested, maybe we can dive into this a little. I sometimes like comparing different legal systems [then it quickly becomes just all too much! :P ]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 7:57 pm

I have only three things to say about this:

1. Neener
2. Neener.
3. Neener.

Addressed "To Whom it May Concern" only.

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 9:22 am

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 17513/amp/

“ . . . The outcome of the lawsuit was not mentioned once between the hours of 7 and 11 p.m. on Tuesday night — a block of time that includes network headliners Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity, all figures who were implicated in Dominion’s case against Fox. . . ”

Well, I guess we don’t really expect them to. But Tuesday night, April 18th, really might have been a missed opportunity to start doing better.

[sarcasm] I just don’t understand why the Fox all-stars wouldn’t at least acknowledge the lawsuit :P [/sarcasm]

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 2:15 pm

Please notice that the Fox News flag is almost as high as the American flag.

And yes, I think those of us who are liberal, progressive, left of center, etc, etc, miss an opportunity by not flying the American flag more easily and more often.

For example, only citizens who are favor of war are going to fly a flag and say support the troops ? ? And the citizens who think a war is not in our best tradition cannot also fly a flag? Obviously, I think they can, and maybe should. :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 11:48 pm

https://www.nps.gov/articles/selmatomongtomerymarch.htm

Look at the American flags being carried during the 1965 March to Selma.

[this was actually three separate marches, with only the third being successfully completed ]

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 8:15 pm

Does this have anything to do with Tucker Carlson's sacking?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Does this have anything to do with Tucker Carlson's sacking?

Yes, it does.

Tucker Carlson was fired [sacked] Monday morning. In my opinion, he was made the fall guy, maybe because he had the juicier quotes. Sean Hannity was actually the more senior guy.

* I love the fact that “sacked” is the UK term, and maybe other parts of the world as well! :P