Nurse to sue for defamation-racial bike stealing allegation

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 7:35 pm

Attorney For Pregnant Nurse in Viral Bike Incident Plans to Sue ‘Media Who Defamed Her,’ Says ‘Race Had Nothing to Do With It’

Quote:
The attorney for a pregnant nurse seen on video fighting over a Citi Bike before bursting into tears plans to sue “every organization that referred to her as a Karen, a racist, and a thief.”

Justin Marino appeared on Fox’s America’s Newsroom Friday to talk about the viral incident that anchor Bill Hemmer said has been viewed by 10 million people online.

Sarah Comrie, a physician’s assistant, “got off a 12-hour shift at Bellevue Hospital and she tried to go home,” Marino explained. “She went to a vacant bike where no one was touching, no one was on. She mounted the bike, she paid for the bike. She ended up actually pulling back off the docking station, and then around that time these individuals were claiming that was their bike. Someone pushed the bike while she was on it back into the docking station, so it locked again, and that’s where the rest of the video picks up.”

Marino said he has the receipts to prove his client rented the bike, not any of the men who gathered around her.

“They show she rented the bike. The serial numbers match, so there’s no question that the bike that she is on in that video is a bike that she reserved.”

Marino said Comrie’s employer appeared to accept the media reports of racism at face value and put Comrie on leave pending review.

“As a health system we are committed to providing an environment for our patients and our staff that is free of discrimination of any kind,” her hospital said in a statement.

“There’s a reason defamation laws exist and we plan to pursue them,” he said.

When asked what media he plans to sue, Marino answered, “Every organization that referred her as a Karen, a racist, and a thief. We’re looking to right a wrong. We’re doing that here through the public, letting them know what happened, but we’re doing it through the court system as well so these institutions are going to think twice before they try to ruin someone’s life.”

Marino added, “We have no ill will towards these young men. And in fact, we wish them the best. Our focus here is on the media who defamed her.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:03 am

If all that is true, it really is a testament to just how misleading "our own eyes" can be. Video, even when unedited, is an incomplete snapshot in time, and the ability to accurately read facial expressions and mannerisms via video is questionable. Whatever the evidence is, it will come out over time.

Viral video is a plague.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:29 am

Don't immediately fall for this. There is a rumour the lawyer has fabricated the bike ticket as the apparent photo shows the image is cropped and may be fake. The woman is potentially trying to get her job back. This is a calculated risk, the easiest way is for the bike company to check their electronic records but I would not be surprised if the conman lawyer might have arranged after payment to have the fake ticket generated from the company. A lot at stake for this nurse. Also it's likely the young black man doesn't want the publicity so won't come forward.

One obvious question is - if the ticket is real then who the heck hires a bike for a grand total of 1 mintute?? Also if the ticket was valid (as the nurse claims) wouldn't she show the ticket to the camera, instead of acting like a spoilt brat? somethings smells off about this story

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Don't immediately fall for this. There is a rumour the lawyer has fabricated the bike ticket as the apparent photo shows the image is cropped and may be fake. The woman is potentially trying to get her job back. This is a calculated risk, the easiest way is for the bike company to check their electronic records but I would not be surprised if the conman lawyer might have arranged after payment to have the fake ticket generated from the company. A lot at stake for this nurse. Also it's likely the young black man doesn't want the publicity so won't come forward.

One obvious question is - if the ticket is real then who the heck hires a bike for a grand total of 1 mintute?? Also if the ticket was valid (as the nurse claims) wouldn't she show the ticket to the camera, instead of acting like a spoilt brat? somethings smells off about this story

I think we have to sit back and wait for the evidence. But some of your questions are answered in the article:

Why one minute? Per the article, because somehow the bike got pushed back into the dock before she could continue.

Why not prove her case right off? Likely answer: because she was exhausted and stressed and not thinking clearly.

Do we know what is accurate? No, we don't.

Do we need to make a judgement? No, we really really do not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:06 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Why not prove her case right off? Likely answer: because she was exhausted and stressed and not thinking clearly.

I'm sorry I don't buy the "She was on a 12 hour shift and pregnant so wasn't thinking straight. Her behaviour is really odd given
a. the cost of 1min hire is literally nothing
b, there were other bikes which any normal person would have taken (which infact she did after throwing a tantrum)

Again, I'm sorry her behaviour seems highly suspect, at best she's extremely immature,

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 5:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I'm sorry I don't buy the "She was on a 12 hour shift and pregnant so wasn't thinking straight. Her behaviour is really odd given
a. the cost of 1min hire is literally nothing
b, there were other bikes which any normal person would have taken (which infact she did after throwing a tantrum)

Again, I'm sorry her behaviour seems highly suspect, at best she's extremely immature,

You know what upsets me? How quickly I fell for the original narrative, despite not being able to see the whole fake cry thing, I figured it was just my difficulty with facial expressions. I HATE that I was willing to accept someone else's interpretation. The judicial process will sort out the facts here, but meanwhile we have increased the tensions and divisiveness in our country, because everyone just "has" to insert strong opinion A or B, and will most likely never change whatever their initial impression was. This viral stuff is dangerous for exactly that reason. It was a minor incident that has ended up creating worldwide comment and debate all based on an incomplete video clip. Seriously? We haven't learned to wait yet?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 8:53 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
You know what upsets me? How quickly I fell for the original narrative, despite not being able to see the whole fake cry thing, I figured it was just my difficulty with facial expressions. I HATE that I was willing to accept someone else's interpretation. The judicial process will sort out the facts here, but meanwhile we have increased the tensions and divisiveness in our country, because everyone just "has" to insert strong opinion A or B, and will most likely never change whatever their initial impression was. This viral stuff is dangerous for exactly that reason. It was a minor incident that has ended up creating worldwide comment and debate all based on an incomplete video clip. Seriously? We haven't learned to wait yet?

A lot of white Americans are piling over each other on social media saying she had a right to stand her ground. There were two incidents in the video that told me she behaved inappropriately,
1. She invaded the space of the young black man and essentially assaulted him by trying to pry the bicycle by force
2. She grabbed his mobile phone and would not give it back

I think she was trying to competitive, she wanted that bike at the same time he did. As you say more will come out, Why she purchased a 1 minute ticket and then held onto it is the biggest mystery? I want to hear from the bike company how this works because for the black man to get the bike he would have to have purchased a ticket himself (he can't use hers as it would have immediately expired).

I await further legal investigation but I think she is trying to use the lawyer to avoid ending up like Amy Cooper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_P ... g_incident

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 9:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
A lot of white Americans are piling over each other on social media saying ... I await further legal investigation.

True, I could be being inaccurately cynical about contemporary American culture (the possibility of being unjustly cynical about the same is exponentially lower) but it does seem that the operating principle of contemporary American culture at large is, "Feel now, reason later, if ever".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:22 pm

I knew there was something fishy about this story
https://newsone.com/4592993/sarah-jane- ... peaks-out/

Rather than being a "thug" as insinuated by thousands of white social media users the boy involved is 17 year old teen. According the mother the boy has been unable to attend his school or go out of his home because of all the hate/threats he has received.

According to His mother has revealed the 4 boys rode the bikes several miles from where they lived. They stopped to buy drinks and docked the bikes while sitting on them. Sarah Jane Comrie (the nurse) approached them and said "Can a pregnant women get a bike" pointing to the bike the teen was sitting on. The boys said they had the bikes and needed them to ride back home. During the conversation Comrie leaned over and scanned the QR code of the bike the teen was sitting on (this explains how she had a one minute ticket). From there she leaned into where the boy was sitting and tried to take the bike from him by force shouting help, I'm pregnant attracting the other male nurse to come to her aid.

What is interesting is that in the video it can be seen there were empty bikes behind them

I know there are some social media users still trying to claim she had the right to take the bike off him since he docked the bike. The problem I have is she knew there were bikes behind the boys so why did she insist on confronting them over a bike they were sitting on? A lot of hatred directed at these teens is disgraceful, I hope this woman is thrown out of her job for the hatred directed at the family of this teen.