Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 5:33 pm

When we would call the far right "flat earthers" for their ignorance, it turns out we were more right than we ever knew!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/geo ... 34553.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 5:47 pm

I'm glad I moved to the Philippines.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:13 pm

As a believer in Jesus and the Bible I cringe when people like Kandiss start spouting the flat Earth stuff.
No, the Bible actually, literally, does not support that concept.

She's not here and she won't read this, and if she did read it would likely dismiss it out of hand,
but here's something,
https://signsofthetimes.org.au/2021/05/ ... the-bible/

Quote:
Conclusion

There are a number things that we can learn from this history, Faulkner says. The Bible does not promote a specific cosmology. It is people who put together different passages to make up a cosmology. The fact that it does not promote a specific cosmology may even be a good thing. If the Scriptures supported a specific cosmology, ancient or modern, those who believed otherwise would have had reason to renounce the Bible. Some do this today because they learn from unreliable sources that the Bible teaches the flat Earth theory. However, as discussed above, this is not what the Bible teaches but what people have read into it. Some do it knowingly, others not, and others, instead of using an exegetical approach (that is, critically examining the Bible to understand the context and meaning of the verses), use an eisegetical approach; that is, they introduce new meanings from external sources into Scripture. At the same time, a reader of the Bible must not stop at exegesis, but must always seek to understand what the message of the text is for the contemporary reader, and this implies understanding the right principles of interpretation for the text that is being analysed.

At the end of this brief review of the main arguments that the Bible supports the flat Earth theory, we can draw a sufficiently clear conclusion: the Bile does not promote a specific cosmological model—the flat or round Earth, geocentrism or heliocentrism—and the conflict on cosmological models between science and religion, although having a rich history, is still an artificial one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:05 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
As a believer in Jesus and the Bible I cringe when people like Kandiss start spouting the flat Earth stuff.
No, the Bible actually, literally, does not support that concept.

She's not here and she won't read this, and if she did read it would likely dismiss it out of hand,
but here's something,
https://signsofthetimes.org.au/2021/05/ ... the-bible/

Quote:
Conclusion

There are a number things that we can learn from this history, Faulkner says. The Bible does not promote a specific cosmology. It is people who put together different passages to make up a cosmology. The fact that it does not promote a specific cosmology may even be a good thing. If the Scriptures supported a specific cosmology, ancient or modern, those who believed otherwise would have had reason to renounce the Bible. Some do this today because they learn from unreliable sources that the Bible teaches the flat Earth theory. However, as discussed above, this is not what the Bible teaches but what people have read into it. Some do it knowingly, others not, and others, instead of using an exegetical approach (that is, critically examining the Bible to understand the context and meaning of the verses), use an eisegetical approach; that is, they introduce new meanings from external sources into Scripture. At the same time, a reader of the Bible must not stop at exegesis, but must always seek to understand what the message of the text is for the contemporary reader, and this implies understanding the right principles of interpretation for the text that is being analysed.

At the end of this brief review of the main arguments that the Bible supports the flat Earth theory, we can draw a sufficiently clear conclusion: the Bile does not promote a specific cosmological model—the flat or round Earth, geocentrism or heliocentrism—and the conflict on cosmological models between science and religion, although having a rich history, is still an artificial one.

That's the problem with taking everything too literally in the Bible, which is how fundamentalists come to the conclusion that the earth is only six thousand years old, or that there's no evolutionary process in nature.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
which is how fundamentalists come to the conclusion that the earth is only six thousand years old,

Even though not 100% literally on the flat earth in the Bible topic I am going to comment on that and say that those fundamentalists would really have issue with me since I'm in the camp who say that after looking closely at the language used in Genesis, and at some passages in a few other Old Testament books, the Genesis creation account is not a creation from scratch, it is a remodeling of a distressed Earth which was created at an unstated time prior to the Genesis account.

So, clutch those Sunday best pearls in shock and trauma, not only is Earth a sphere, oblate spheroid to get technical about it, it is older than 6,000 years!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:29 pm

Related content - the Moon is round too.

Coming to mind now is a time in a flat this that and the other thing discussion where in response to someone saying something along the lines of,

"Okay you round Earth and round Moon people, tell me one simple thing I can see with my own eyes which "proves" the Moon is round?"

Easy answer done in mere minutes, I said, Get a telescope and look for yourself at the terminator shadows.

Reply to that was that I was being a sarcastic smartass & just plain dumb instead of funny.

Ohh boy. :roll: :roll: They are too uninformed to even be talking to me.

If the Moon was not a sphere there would not be the great difference in shadow length/illumination angle between the center of the illuminated surface and the terminator area.

https://lafayettesciencemuseum.org/file ... inator.pdf

Quote:
Since the terminator is the place where the shadows on the moon are longest, craters, peaks, and many other
details stand out best there. As the moon goes around Earth the position of the terminator changes every night,
giving telescope observers a new batch of features to see. In fact, sometimes careful observers may be able to
see changes along the terminator in just a few hours as the terminator creeps across the lunar surface! Look
also for peaks that seem detached from the moon—they are in sunlight while their lower surroundings are not,
and are another place where changes can often be seen in hours. Because of the orbital motions of both the
moon and Earth, the exact position of the terminator on a given day after new moon varies a little each month
and certain features may be better seen in some months than in others. In other words, along the terminator
you get a different show every night!

The Moving Terminator
Lafayette Science Museum, 433 Jefferson Street, Lafayette, LA 70501

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:53 pm

If the Earth was flat, the laws of physics applied to a flat earth would likely kill us all.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:51 am

Coming to mind now is a time in a flat this that and the other thing discussion where in response to someone saying something along the lines of,

"Okay you round Earth and round Moon people, tell me one simple thing I can see with my own eyes which "proves" the Moon is round?"

Easy answer done in mere minutes, I said, Get a telescope and look for yourself at the terminator shadows.

Reply to that was that I was being a sarcastic smartass & just plain dumb instead of funny.

If the Moon was not a sphere there would not be the great difference in shadow length/illumination angle between the center of the illuminated surface and the terminator area.

Quote:
Since the terminator is the place where the shadows on the moon are longest, craters, peaks, and many other
details stand out best there. As the moon goes around Earth the position of the terminator changes every night,
giving telescope observers a new batch of features to see. In fact, sometimes careful observers may be able to
see changes along the terminator in just a few hours as the terminator creeps across the lunar surface! Look
also for peaks that seem detached from the moon—they are in sunlight while their lower surroundings are not,
and are another place where changes can often be seen in hours. Because of the orbital motions of both the
moon and Earth, the exact position of the terminator on a given day after new moon varies a little each month
and certain features may be better seen in some months than in others. In other words, along the terminator

The Moving Terminator

Maybe they think the moon is just a billboard in the sky!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:49 am

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:11 am

Fnord wrote:

I knew it!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:39 am

x

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 May 2023, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

The Moving Terminator

Maybe they think the moon is just a billboard in the sky!

https://youtu.be/2_uwE0WkM7Y

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:44 am

Do these people actually travel by plane?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:59 am

There was a guy on WP who would post flat earther videos.

We finnally asked him "why would the powers that be lie about the shape of the earth?".

He responded with "for the same reason that they would lie about...Evolution, and claim that the sun (instead of the earth) is the center of the solar system and universe, etc. To undermine faith in God."

So...there ya have it! Every major discovery in the last five centuries is part of an anti religion conspiracy!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:39 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:56 pm

Double Retired wrote:

If only ... :twisted: