Jim Jordan Fails Again to Win Vote to Become House Speaker

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 3:20 pm

https://apnews.com/article/jim-jordan-house-speaker-mccarthy-trump-994067b90a874ed46dd6a1766d89a163

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 6:39 pm

Can't catch a break, can you, Gym?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:10 am

Well, America dodged another bullet. Gym's only accomplishments involved sowing the seeds of calamity, and had helped Trump by trying to destroy democracy with the January 6 riot. We just had a destructive fraud in the White House, and we almost had the same as Speaker of the House.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 7:48 pm

I wish moderates picked a major issue. For example, immigration. And then nominated their own candidate. :P

Best case scenario, we get 150 D’s and 150 R’s voting for this new Speaker. And we simply put together a package which appeals to the middle of the spectrum regarding immigration views.

Basically, yes, we form a new political party. :D

Now, just because it’s centrist, moderate, and productive on the issue of immigration doesn’t mean it’s going to be similarly productive on other issues. But I’d like to take that chance!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 11:13 am

@AGS: While I absolutely love your suggestion, how can we get past the "white/male/straight/Christian persecution" people on the right, and the wannabe revolutionaries on the left?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 10:31 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
@AGS: While I absolutely love your suggestion, how can we get past the "white/male/straight/Christian persecution" people on the right, and the wannabe revolutionaries on the left?

In particular, the rights of transgender persons to be their authentic selves and to live their lives. And to have the same rights as everyone else, no more, no less. :D

I would have guessed ahead of time that lesbian and gay rights would have been the difficult issue, and trans rights the relatively easy issue. And I would have been wrong!

And we’re a long way from the Republican party of Ronald Reagan.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 5:24 pm

There are now 9 New Candidates for House Speaker!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/there-are-now-nine-new-candidates-for-house-speaker

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 7:08 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

In particular, the rights of transgender persons to be their authentic selves and to live their lives. And to have the same rights as everyone else, no more, no less. :D

I would have guessed ahead of time that lesbian and gay rights would have been the difficult issue, and trans rights the relatively easy issue. And I would have been wrong!

And we’re a long way from the Republican party of Ronald Reagan.

Even W would be considered a "Marxist" these days.

The GOP lost my support once Trump hijacked the party.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 10:35 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
The GOP lost my support once Trump hijacked the party.

Yes, the current Republican Party is too much a cult of personality.

I remember around 2017, in talking with a younger guy I talked with on a semi-regular basis at a sports bar. I said, Well, you recognize that Trump’s a bully, right?

He said, That’s the best part. He’s a bully on our behalf.

I’m not so sure about that second part! not sure at all that Trump’s out for anyone other than himself.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 10:58 am

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... e-decades/

Please look at this graph. The American middle class has, in fact, held its ground pretty good. It’s eroded less than a lot of people think it has.

Still moving in the wrong direction.

And notice from the graph that more people have moved upward than downward. I still view this as an overall negative since it’s a hollowing out of the middle class.

Then we have a bad ratio of anger to decline. I mean, for a modest decline of results, we have a lot of political anger, particular among older males, especially among listeners to talk radio and other “conservative” media [which really would be called “grievance radio”]