Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 5:45 pm

Have I read this wrong? They want to introduce the flu jab to all children who are aged two and three, all children in primary school and all secondary school pupils under the age of 16.

And the rest for:

Quote:
Those aged six months to under 50 years in clinical risk groups
Pregnant women
Those aged 50 years and over
People in residential care
Unpaid carers
Close contacts of people with weakened immune systems
Health and care staff

So they're trying to introduce the flu vaccine to a much wider range of people? Have I read this right?

Source.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 6:52 pm

I'm not sure what the standards are in the UK----but, in the US, virtually everybody over 6 months of age is advised to get a flu shot.

This was true even before the Pandemic.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 3:56 am

Maybe that is why I've only received one response on this topic.

Usually in the UK the flu jab is given only to people with existing health conditions (Like asthma) or the elderly. That's it. Everyone else isn't expected nor encouraged to, they were told by GPs and the NHS that they didn't need it.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 8:35 am

This big news isn't significant to anyone? It should be to Brits.

I'm starting to think this could be another reason why the US citizens on here are so pro-vaccine. I remember arguing with a pharmacist in England to give me a flu jab (Bad OCD at the time) and he insisted I didn't need it, even though I had agreed to pay for it. He didn't give in and refused me outright.

This isn't significant to anybody? Really?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm

Basically, healthy people who are not pregnant, not carers, and ages 0 to 2 and 16 to 49, are not eligible for free flu shots in the UK.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:13 pm

Nobody in that list qualified for the flu vaccines before in the UK, except the elderly and those already with weakened immune systems. That's my point.

They've changed the rules greatly for flu vaccines.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:28 pm

I've never had a flu shot but I'm pretty sure they're available for free every flu season here.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:58 pm

I didn't know what the U.S. guidelines were for flu shots. I started getting them annually after I married since my bride has an "interesting" medical file and I didn't want to endanger her.

But after seeing this thread I checked and found:

CDC: "Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, United States, 2021–22 Influenza Season"

So, while I don't know what the guidance was in past years (though my impression was always that I had the option to get a flu shot), current U.S. CDC guidance is pretty much that...with few exceptions...everyone should get a flu shot--consistent with kraftiekortie's post.

P.S. My bride and I get our medical care from a hospital. We visited it yesterday primarily because she'd been having trouble making an appointment over the phone...but while we were there we checked on flu shots and COVID booster shots. The hospital is not yet administering flu shots and is not yet administering COVID booster shots if your sole reason for getting it is that you are over 65 (which is our reason).

Darn. I wore a short-sleeve shirt for that trip to make it easier to get the shots. I hope the weather still accommodates short-sleeve shirts when the hospital is ready to shoot us.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 4:36 pm

"Flu shots may protect against the risk of Alzheimer's, related dementias"

Quote:
There are many good reasons to get a flu shot this fall, but here's one that might surprise you: It could protect your brain.

Recent research suggests that regular vaccinations against influenza and other infectious diseases such as shingles, pneumococcal pneumonia, and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough) may reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.