Openly Racist Professor still tenured after 23 years

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 3:44 am

There is currently an ongoing legal battle to sack an openly racist female law professor, Amy Wax from Penn State University. The case has been held up due to Wax launching her own grievance against the Dean of Law at Penn State.
https://www.vox.com/23592864/amy-wax-un ... ic-freedom
She has been doing this for a long long time...

Among the latest things she has declared is that asians and blacks are jealous of western people. But she has an advocate
https://atlantablackstar.com/2023/12/04 ... ist-views/
An Asian student is standing up for a University of Pennsylvania law professor who faces losing her tenured position due to racist viewpoints that sparked massive protests on the Ivy League campus in recent weeks.

Despite her growing reputation for sparking racial controversies by suggesting the superiority of white culture, professor Amy Wax has found an unexpected advocate in Charlie Cheon — a third-year law student who wrote a letter to school administrators late last month expressing support for his beleaguered teacher.

It remains uncertain, however, if Cheon was aware of Wax’s controversial statements, including the assertion that the United States would be “better off with fewer Asians” and her remarks that “Blacks” and Asians are resentful of “Western peoples’ outsized achievements.”

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 2:53 pm

As the Vox article you linked to says:

Quote:
Wax is one professor at one law school, but her case is a bizarre and frustrating subplot in the larger story of higher education and free speech — a narrative where, on the one hand, broad protections for teachers and professors are gutted in conservative states, but where, on the other, those same free speech principles being targeted are invoked to shield one of the right’s more distinguished, and offensive, voices.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 7:55 pm

I thought black and Asian people were western if they were born in, or acculturated into, the western culture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I thought black and Asian people were western if they were born in, or acculturated into, the western culture.

I think the general consensus has changed. If you asked that question in the 1960s most Americans (and probably Australians) were far more polarised on what it means to be American. It would not include (in their minds) non-white people who at that time had zero presence in the history books except as slaves or cheap labour.

Today its more flexible, but without living in the US I would have no idea.
But as recently as 2005 a broad range of research suggests that "The American = White association was positively correlated with the strength of national identity in White Americans. Together, these studies provide evidence that to be American is implicitly synonymous with being White."
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15740439/

This would suggest that Wax's statements while publicly repulsive, are more likely to be privately agreed with

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
As the Vox article you linked to says:

Quote:
Wax is one professor at one law school, but her case is a bizarre and frustrating subplot in the larger story of higher education and free speech — a narrative where, on the one hand, broad protections for teachers and professors are gutted in conservative states, but where, on the other, those same free speech principles being targeted are invoked to shield one of the right’s more distinguished, and offensive, voices.

Free speech does not apply when the teacher is targeting specific members of their class

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:14 pm

Free speech didn't apply in the past. When in my First school I heard a kid actually swear at the headmaster! Was trousers down and slipper slammed down hard several times on his behind and rightfully so!

Last edited by Mountain Goat on February 31st, 2026, 01:42 am, edited 36 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:26 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Free speech didn't apply in the past. When in my First school I heard a kid actually swear at the headmaster! Was trousers down and slipper slammed down hard several times on his behind and rightfully so!

This is flipped around....it's Prof Wax who is spouting obscenities at her students

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 9:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

This is flipped around....it's Prof Wax who is spouting obscenities at her students

Well if she is swearing at her students she should be suspended!

Last edited by Mountain Goat on February 31st, 2026, 01:42 am, edited 36 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 9:19 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Well if she is swearing at her students she should be suspended!

The obscenity is she is insinuating that non-white students are inferior. Amazingly she is still holding down her job.