Sweden Clears Last Hurdle to Join NATO

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,052
Location: Portland, Oregon

26 Feb 2024, 6:39 pm

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-set-ratify-swedens-nato-accession-clearing-last-hurdle-2024-02-26/


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,369
Location: Long Island, New York

26 Feb 2024, 6:42 pm

Hungary has approved Sweden's bid to join NATO, the final hurdle to membership

Quote:
Hungary's parliament has approved Sweden's bid to join NATO, clearing the way for the Nordic country's accession to the military alliance after almost two years of intense negotiations.

Getting approval from the Hungarian parliament was the final hurdle for Sweden to joining NATO. In Hungary's parliament on Monday, 188 voted in favor and six against it, with five abstaining.

The two sides appeared to reconcile after two years of tough relations. They agreed on a deal in which Hungary will acquire four new Swedish-made JAS 39 Gripen jets.

Sweden is now close to becoming NATO's 32nd member, following its neighbor Finland, which joined the alliance last year.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,507
Location: Houston, Texas

26 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm

Sweden FTW! Grestest country in the world! Their criminalization of hate speech is what I like best.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

27 Feb 2024, 5:32 am

I love what it means to Baltic Sea.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2023
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 421

27 Feb 2024, 5:05 pm

It's a little bit ironic that the main opponent to NATO is Russia.

Russia = Sweden?

According to one theory, “Rus” originates from the Scandinavian languages and reflects the belief that the first rulers of ancient Russia were actually Vikings.

If this version is true, “Rus” is just another term for “Sweden/Swedish,” like the Normans or Vikings were once referred to. “Rus” was used by foreigners to describe Slavic tribes ruled by the Vikings, and it stuck. “Rus” is close to today’s Ruotsi – which means “Sweden” in Finnish – so there’s some logic here.


_________________
English is not my first language.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 25,428
Location: Right over your left shoulder

27 Feb 2024, 5:10 pm

BillyTree wrote:
It's a little bit ironic that the main opponent to NATO is Russia.

Russia = Sweden?

According to one theory, “Rus” originates from the Scandinavian languages and reflects the belief that the first rulers of ancient Russia were actually Vikings.

If this version is true, “Rus” is just another term for “Sweden/Swedish,” like the Normans or Vikings were once referred to. “Rus” was used by foreigners to describe Slavic tribes ruled by the Vikings, and it stuck. “Rus” is close to today’s Ruotsi – which means “Sweden” in Finnish – so there’s some logic here.



Obligatory Viking is a career, not an ethnicity.


_________________
Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 47,771
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

27 Feb 2024, 7:42 pm

Good for Sweden. Means we'll have all the more guns on our side if the shooting starts with Russia.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,507
Location: Houston, Texas

27 Feb 2024, 10:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Good for Sweden. Means we'll have all the more guns on our side if the shooting starts with Russia.


Sweden is the country all others should emulate, especially the US, Russia, Hungary, Uganda, and all Muslim-majority countries.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 47,771
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

28 Feb 2024, 12:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Good for Sweden. Means we'll have all the more guns on our side if the shooting starts with Russia.


Sweden is the country all others should emulate, especially the US, Russia, Hungary, Uganda, and all Muslim-majority countries.


Agreed. We should be when it comes to a social safety net.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer