Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:24 am

Think hover cars are just science fiction?

Well now they aren't!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... am=1&asb=1

EDIT: You may have to adjust the video a bit to actually see it and not just hear the audio.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:49 am

Quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Wow... da future is here... i want one :)

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:50 am

jrknothead wrote:
Quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Wow... da future is here... i want one :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

It should be on the the right of the front page.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 1:34 pm

Very nice, but dont think for a minute this will cut congestion or give us more freedom. The airways are heavily regulated for very good reasons. Not to mention the fact this will require flying lessons in addition to driving lessons. I would expect to see very restricted flightpaths for this sort of things. akin to back to the future 2, or Fifth Element, or any number of other films. (Though it might be a good idea to restrict them to Law enforcement, a la Blade Runner.)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 2:03 pm

Won't work. Not because of technological reasons, but the human factor. People are too stupid to be allowed to drive in the air. Most people can't drive their cars on the ground as it is--- they keep crashing into each other ( one crashed into me in June!). Can you imagine watching TV at home and then hearing a loud BOOM as someone crashes into your roof? Also, let's not forget all the thugs who like to steal cars ( we have ALOT of those here) and the high-speed pursuits that would ensue in the air.
Another thing to remember: if your ground car breaks down, you simply pull over and call the towing service. If your air car breaks down, you fall... and then crash.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 2:41 pm

skahthic wrote:
Won't work. Not because of technological reasons, but the human factor. People are too stupid to be allowed to drive in the air. Most people can't drive their cars on the ground as it is--- they keep crashing into each other ( one crashed into me in June!). Can you imagine watching TV at home and then hearing a loud BOOM as someone crashes into your roof? Also, let's not forget all the thugs who like to steal cars ( we have ALOT of those here) and the high-speed pursuits that would ensue in the air.
Another thing to remember: if your ground car breaks down, you simply pull over and call the towing service. If your air car breaks down, you fall... and then crash.

I agree, some people really are too stupid to drive cars on the ground, let alone in the air, especially when they'd rather talk on the cellphone while driving. It's bad enough when they do that on the ground and nearly hit you, but in the air, it could be even worse, as a house or other building could be hit because someone was paying more attention to their conversation than what was around them. Also, you have those people who don't bother to look when turning or switching lanes, I pretty much have to have my foot near the brake for these idiots.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 3:01 pm

NASA is way ahead of you guys; they've already anticipated flying cars in the future and have already begun groundwork for automated "highways in the sky."

http://www.blog.speculist.com/archives/000292.html

18:33. Press 'Return'

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:51 pm

Is this why the commercials we've seen during "The Price is Right" here in America have been real?

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:12 pm

Bah, they've been talking about that skycar for years and it still hasn't come on the market.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:13 pm

huh?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:18 pm

If you've watched The Price is Right with Bob Barker lately, they are showing reruns and sometimes you see commercials for what they call, "Hoveround cars." They enable older people to get around. They have been showing these commercials lately because Bob is an older guy. I am sure that when Drew Carey takes over for Bob next year, we won't be seeing any of those commercials because Drew is much younger.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:25 pm

TheBladeRoden wrote:
Bah, they've been talking about that skycar for years and it still hasn't come on the market.

True. But this isn't the skycar, this is something new. Who knows, maybe they'll actually sell them like they say they will, this time.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 7:50 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFgRAcr0jg[/youtube]

parts
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 8:34 pm

I saw something like this years ago on the web and TV. Don't think we are ready for it or the consequences of it yet. Plus I believe they would be cost prohibitive

http://www.moller.com/

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:52 pm

That doesn't look like anything you'd see in the Hoveround commercials!

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:02 am

Wouldn't they use far too much fuel?