kids must eat more fish/seafood or they will have aspergers.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 5:50 pm

CHILDREN need to eat five times more fish and seafood than they do now to meet national recommendations and ensure their developing brains and nervous systems are not put at risk, researchers have found.

Omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in seafood, eggs and some meats and plants, play a role in brain and nervous system development, behaviour, learning and mood. Low levels have been linked to depression, Asperger's syndrome, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and dyslexia. view article

ow you know what this means, the aspergers rate is gonna be less then 1 in 150 if people dont eat more stuff with omega 3 acids. interesting article though. a alternative to fish is flax seedflax seed which you can buy at health stores.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

29 Sep 2007, 6:07 pm

I've been desperately trying to convince my sister to get more omega-3 in her kids. I have my 5 year old nephew now swallowing 1 gram fish oil capsules. :D Not sure if there is any realtionship to autism spectrum but there likely is to a host of other problems.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 6:19 pm

if this were true, wouldn't we see a marked decrease in rates of these disorders among communities that eat fish almost exclusively?

sounds fishy to me (pun intended)... possibly a red herring?

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2007, 6:29 pm

Hmmm.Interesting hypothesis...Where do you think they got their data, who did the study? or maybe this is simply the aspie in me over-analyzing things again... :oops: :lol:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 6:37 pm

jrknothead wrote:
if this were true, wouldn't we see a marked decrease in rates of these disorders among communities that eat fish almost exclusively?

sounds fishy to me (pun intended)... possibly a red herring?

In the case of some other disorders. If you compare omega-3 intake and suicide/depresion rates in Japan or Taiwan with new Zealand there is a major correlation.

Though its not clear if supplementing omega-3 can correct the problem.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 6:57 pm

What f*****g bull. I'll be sure not to feed any kids i have fish.

I ate loads of seafood as a kid.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 7:02 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
What f***ing bull. I'll be sure not to feed any kids i have fish.

I ate loads of seafood as a kid.

I doubt it would cure anything. The idea is more to prevent your assault rifle becoming your best friend in the world.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 7:09 pm

I eat a lot of seafood now... but I'm too far gone for it to make any difference. :skull:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 8:46 pm

A lot of seafood contains mercury, which is a neurotoxin, due to pollution. The amount of mercury varies depending on the species, but I have to wonder if eating a lot of seafood would do more harm or good. It seems safer to me to get your omega oils from flax, broccoli, soy and walnuts.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2007, 5:48 am

Sigh. We've survived this long without particular focus on getting our daily dose of Omega-3, we'll survive long enough to see the next health-hype.

TheMachine1 wrote:
In the case of some other disorders. If you compare omega-3 intake and suicide/depresion rates in Japan or Taiwan with new Zealand there is a major correlation.

One can correlate any pair of 'traits' that 'stand out' with each other, it doesn't mean a thing.

fishfood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2007, 9:33 am

I wouldn't call the benefits of omega-3 just a hype. Fish IS healthy and has numerous health benefits.

There IS a risk of mercury, but if you know what type of fish to eat, (ones generally lower down in the food chain) then you should be fine. Grocery stores have posted signs with the FDA/EPA warnings about mercury in certain fish and which ones to avoid. Check out this website to learn more. Oceana

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 9:35 am

But they tell pregnant woman to limit the amount of fish they eat to 3x a week, because of heavy metal toxins and dioxins in the fish.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 10:46 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
I doubt it would cure anything. The idea is more to prevent your assault rifle becoming your best friend in the world.

This is why I don't plan on owning an assault rifle in the first place. ;)

Problem solved, but not by the fish. I ate a ton of it as a kid.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 2:58 pm

The big problem is that the fish with high amounts of Omega-3, the "oily fish," are also the ones that build up mercury. You want to eat the ones with high amounts of Omega-3, you'll increase your mercury intake enormously. You really ought not to be eating more than 2 meals of oily fish per week. In moderation, they're great, but too much mercury, and.. well, you might not be autistic, but you'll have other problems. You can't win, unfortunately.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2007, 5:14 pm

I ate plenty of Omega-3 as a kid. I'm as Aspie as they come. Gotta love those generalizations.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2007, 5:55 pm

Why are scientists getting paid for this shabby research that will only get refuted several years later and turn into "correction, fish is bad for your kids."