Mystery Illness at Va School Causing Convulsive Twitching

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 7:35 am

Virginia school officials plan more testing today to determine the source of a mysterious illness that has worked its way through an area high school and caused a strange symptom among students and staff -- twitching.

So far, the illness has sickened several students and a teacher at William Byrd High School in Vinton, Va., and officials can't specify specific symptoms to watch out for.

But one mother said her child is experiencing bouts of sudden twitching and uncontrollable arm spasms, along with headaches and dizziness.

The school is closed today for elections, but school officials said they do not plan future closures or relocated classes. Health experts said that based on the environmental test results, there's no need to close, according to The Associated Press.

That's no consolation to students and parents, who paced an auditorium at a public meeting Monday night with officials from the school system, the Virginia Department of Health and the companies that conducted environmental tests, according to the AP.

Health experts tested for mold, and the school came up clean. Disturbed by the twitching that accompanies the illness, many students and parents want the school to remain closed.

"They wave. It's convulsing. They can't stop it," said senior Layne Gulli of the symptoms. "You don't know how to avoid it. You don't know if you're next, or if your friend is next, or if it's an epidemic."

Rumors already have begun circulating as to what is causing the problem.

"There's rumors it was carbon dioxide from the photography room," said sophomore Joe Bradshaw. "We heard it was lead paint. Nobody knows what it is.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3825976

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

08 Nov 2007, 7:48 am

Maybe it's some new form of virus and it's actually nothing to be worried about.

America is so superstitious these days. "ZOMG we're twitching!! !! *close school*"

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 8:50 am

Sounds rather Fortean ....

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 9:18 am

EMF? Florescent lighting flickers, in turn been said to cause seizures. 8) Big Brother? 8) Could be any number of things, or nothing at all.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 11:57 am

Likely hysteria. Maybe a new virus.
If I take antihistimines, I twitch whenever I relax. And it still happens for brief periods randomly maybe once a year.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 12:42 pm

2 possibilities - 1 - some kind of bio-weapon virus got leaked into the water or air - VA is a hotspot for military weapon development or 2 - they've been demonically possessed. 8)