Woman victim of gang rape sentenced to 200 lashes and 6 mos.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 5:14 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21823553/

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 5:22 pm

Pathetic. And her lawyer was banned from defending her. At least the rapists got some sentence instead of SFA. But that's cold comfort to that poor woman.

On sabbatical...

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2007, 5:30 pm

Oh my god. That makes my blood boil.

Not as gruelling, but I have been reading about the differences between women's and men's salaries in different countries. Of course, Saudi Arabia is one of the worst. But I was very dissapointed that the USA is ranked 31 (not even in the top 10). How pathetic.

In ALL countries investigated, women make less money than men.

Here's the link, if interested:

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiatives/g ... /index.htm 

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 5:47 pm

Would she even survive 200 lashes?????

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 6:27 pm

Is this the kind of multiculturalism we are supposed to accept on an equal footing with western legal codes? I don't think so.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2007, 7:50 pm

no offense to any muslims/islamics (or whatever you're supposed to call it) but this one of the reasons I have no respect for this religion.(i don't have much respect for any religion so hold your flame). In fact I have no respect for any religion/culteral group that is so cruel to one sex over the other, it's just not right. Im sorry, 200 lashes?! for being a victim?! thats just dumb.

Im really surprised that the men got punished at all. In fact, im surprised that arn't being praised.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 8:11 pm

That's horrible, disgusting and depressing.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 9:10 pm

The next time anyone dares claim that women have it easy compared to men; I'm bringing this up. :evil: :x :evil:

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:40 pm

Women have it easy, compared to men:

http://middle-east-analysis.blogspot.co ... exual.html

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:54 pm

pandabear wrote:

Oh f**k off. :roll: I didn't say men don't suffer any injustice.

Redstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2007, 3:01 am

I'd just like the comment that Islam has little to no influence in the treatment of women in the Middle East. Women wearing veils and other coverings, have lower salaries, and punishment for ual activity are all cultural remnants from before Islam became the chief religion of the region. Islam is actually a much more tolerant religion than the Western Christianity, it's just the local cultures are barbaric and twined with Islam over time.

But certainly this system of "justice" is demeaning and outrageous. Islam should not be used as an excuse to behave in this way, and the laws changed by UN action in response to cultural, not religious, abominations.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 3:12 am

SapphoWoman wrote:
Oh my god. That makes my blood boil.

Not as gruelling, but I have been reading about the differences between women's and men's salaries in different countries. Of course, Saudi Arabia is one of the worst. But I was very dissapointed that the USA is ranked 31 (not even in the top 10). How pathetic.

In ALL countries investigated, women make less money than men.

Here's the link, if interested:

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiatives/g ... /index.htm 

Thanks for the article, at my job a group of older men I work with started a rumor that I was getting a raise and promotion which was not even true. So they started harrassing me and even vandalized my car by spraying some stuff all over it.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 3:14 am

pandabear wrote:

If those rapists got off easy I am wondering if there was the possibility they may have been connected with the royal family over in Dubai.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 3:59 am

Quatermass wrote:
Pathetic. And her lawyer was banned from defending her. At least the rapists got some sentence instead of SFA. But that's cold comfort to that poor woman.

What that article didn't tell you is that the guy she'd gone to meet (an ex-boyfriend) was raped by the gang, too.

Hey_You
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2007, 1:27 pm

The title of this makes it seems as though this woman is sentenced to 200 lashings because she was raped, but she was really given 200 lashings for breaking the law about riding in a care with people that weren't in her family. :S Weird law.

However, the guys received a piss poor sentence for what they did. What they got is merely a slap on the wrist. Though, later the sentence was upped, but not by much. In the US, rapist get a lot more jail time.

However, these are the laws of that country. They may think our laws are too strict. I guess they like to have things extremely make dominated there and makes get slaps on the wrists for destroying the futures of women.

Normal I ned my messages with cheers, but this one doesn't get a cheers. It gets a "jeer to the Middle East" instead.

Jeers.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm

Be thankful if you live in a country where the laws are more balanced and your right to choose any religion is your own. We've come to accept that this is a way of life in the United States. For other countries, it just isn't so. Things that many others accept as a way of life would seem abhorrent to us. Our freedoms are something to be thankful for. We don't have it perfect, but I don't think that's possible anyhow.