09 Jan 2008, 10:32 pm

http://www.bigpond.com/news/world/conte ... 135635.asp

8O

On sabbatical...

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2008, 12:13 am

Well, I've heard so many stories of smokers being unjustly fired that I guess it's fair in the big scheme of things. "I'm only going to hire smokers from now on" just sounds so funny.

Last month I smoked up my break room by scorching an english muffin in the microwave, but I didn't get fired. Every worker said they could smell it throughout the store, but no customers complained, and the boss was just relieved that nothing was actually on fire.

I've never smoked a cig in my life, but I do feel the need to be around smokers and take it in second-hand every once in a while.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 1:37 am

Amusing. :lol:

TheMandalore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2008, 1:55 am

Generally I try to sympathize with both sides, seeing their point of view before I say something... but for the life of me I can't sympathize with this. People want to breathe clean air, and because of your choice to be addicted to cigarettes thats just too bad? And for people who bring up the whole "my freedom to smoke" BS, what about the other people? Your smoking is taking away their freedom to breathe without smoke.

I find it ridiculous that people go so crazy when they can go smoke outside, and no one would complain.

draxen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2008, 8:21 pm

TheMandalore wrote:
I find it ridiculous that people go so crazy when they can go smoke outside, and no one would complain.

Because any wanna be complainers are only semi-conscious as they're in the last stages of hypothermia ? (It's been a cold winter in these parts)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 9:42 pm

draxen wrote:
TheMandalore wrote:

Because any wanna be complainers are only semi-conscious as they're in the last stages of hypothermia ? (It's been a cold winter in these parts)

Well, that'll get rid of the smoking problem quicker! Everyone wins! The non-smokers get their clean fresh air, and smokers die a quicker death than from lung cancer. :D

On sabbatical...

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:26 pm

I think it's a boss' right to decide who he wants working for him. If he sees non-smoking as disruptive, then so be it. Hire someone else. You go get another job. I don't think it's a big deal.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 10:52 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
I think it's a boss' right to decide who he wants working for him. If he sees non-smoking as disruptive, then so be it. Hire someone else. You go get another job. I don't think it's a big deal.

You a smoker or a non-smoker?

On sabbatical...

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:05 pm

Quatermass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:

Haha, nooo. You weren't supposed to ask that. I don't know if I want to say. I like to think that my personal choices don't affect my views about things like that.

What about you huh!? ::takes heat off herself::

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:

Haha, nooo. You weren't supposed to ask that. I don't know if I want to say. I like to think that my personal choices don't affect my views about things like that.

Of course not. My only chemical vices are caffeine and sugar.:tongue:

::Puts heat back on KristaMeth.:: :tongue:

As for that, you'd only be avoiding the issue if you are a smoker. You may be a civil libertarian, but I would've thought a CL would have clarified their position.

Now, there are choices that you make that affect you, and then there are choices that you make that actually affect others more than most, and smoking (and I'm talking tobacco, marijuana, hell, anything that you burn and inhale) is the latter. Why should other people suffer for your choice, hmm?

On sabbatical...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:18 pm

lol, Kristameth, let me help. :) I'm a non-smoker. I hate smoking. I think smoking around children is child abuse.

BUT, I think a business owner has the right to control the conduct in his own place of business. And if smoking isn't illegal, then he has the right to have smokers and smoker-friendly employees.
I worked in a travel agency for a boss that smoked. It was just the two of us. His office stank to High Heaven, I swear to Dog. I got personally insulted when anti-smokers protested the ashtrays and lingering smoke. I put up with the smoke because I loved my job and liked my boss a lot. He was great. We specialized in cheap overseas tickets so we had a lot of European clients. They appreciated the smoker environment and they were the ones that came in and dropped wads of hundred dollar bills at a time. And they told their smoker friends about us.

Around the same time I got tired of the smoke, I had another offer. I was able to leave on an amicable basis.

I just think that people should use personal judgment when it comes to accepting jobs. IN healthcare, they will offer you a job in a certain timeslot. You take it if you want the job enough. Some people accept the job but then start complaining and ask for a shift change. "I never wanted that shift!"
But they knew what they were getting when they accepted the job. Take responsibility for yourself.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:28 pm

KimJ wrote:
lol, Kristameth, let me help. :) I'm a non-smoker. I hate smoking. I think smoking around children is child abuse.

BUT, I think a business owner has the right to control the conduct in his own place of business. And if smoking isn't illegal, then he has the right to have smokers and smoker-friendly employees.
I worked in a travel agency for a boss that smoked. It was just the two of us. His office stank to High Heaven, I swear to Dog. I got personally insulted when anti-smokers protested the ashtrays and lingering smoke. I put up with the smoke because I loved my job and liked my boss a lot. He was great. We specialized in cheap overseas tickets so we had a lot of European clients. They appreciated the smoker environment and they were the ones that came in and dropped wads of hundred dollar bills at a time. And they told their smoker friends about us.

Around the same time I got tired of the smoke, I had another offer. I was able to leave on an amicable basis.

I just think that people should use personal judgment when it comes to accepting jobs. IN healthcare, they will offer you a job in a certain timeslot. You take it if you want the job enough. Some people accept the job but then start complaining and ask for a shift change. "I never wanted that shift!"
But they knew what they were getting when they accepted the job. Take responsibility for yourself.

Haha, thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm

Quatermass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:

Of course not. My only chemical vices are caffeine and sugar.:tongue:

::Puts heat back on KristaMeth.:: :tongue:

As for that, you'd only be avoiding the issue if you are a smoker. You may be a civil libertarian, but I would've thought a CL would have clarified their position.

Now, there are choices that you make that affect you, and then there are choices that you make that actually affect others more than most, and smoking (and I'm talking tobacco, marijuana, hell, anything that you burn and inhale) is the latter. Why should other people suffer for your choice, hmm?

I am, in fact, a smoker. But a non-smoker at heart. Posted about this before. Like KimJ I think smoking is child abuse. I don't smoke in my own home, I smoke on my porch. In 20 degree weather. Good times. I hate the smell of smoke, I hate the taste of it, I hate how out of breath I get on walks. I was a real Nazi about it while I was pregnant too. NO ONE was allowed to smoke around me and I went to extreme lengths making sure I inhaled only the freshest air for my precious little bun in the oven.

Like KimJ said though, a business owner should have the right to control the conduct in his own place of business. Regardless of how silly any rule may sound (I will only hire tall people so that short chick isn't interrupting other workers asking them to reach the printer paper on the top shelf). It's prejudice, sure. But seriously, if I were a business owner I wouldn't want a bunch of people who don't even know me (government) telling me who I am obligated to hire in order to remain politically correct or whatever. If someone doesn't like certain people why should they be obligated to hire/keep them. On the flip side, why would you want to work for someone who felt like that about you/your habits/lack of. This would only seem like an actual issue to me if there were serious job shortages for non-smokers. Then I might worry. But until then, I still think "whatever".

And then there's people all caffeined up like Quartermass. Bouncing off the walls and jittering all up in my personal space. Drinking their nasty smelling red bulls in my face, making me want to puke.

;)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 1:13 am

Hey, I don't drink Red Bull. Never have. I only drink water, tea, or Coca-Cola. :P

And controlling conduct is one thing. Providing a safe and healthy workplace is another, though intertwined.

On sabbatical...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 1:24 am

But not every place of business is about "safety and health". Like bars or greasy diners. People don't go there for their health. They go for their disinterest in health.
Before they outlawed smoking in restaurants, there was a voluntary trend to open restaurants that were smoke free. It was part of their promotion. Then after a couple of years of people running to the doorways to smoke, they put a buffer zone where you can't smoke in front of buildings.
I just think that's silly.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 12:30 pm

KimJ wrote:
But not every place of business is about "safety and health".

Agreed. And they shouldn't be obligated to.