Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

23 Jan 2008, 2:20 pm

i thought this particularly harrowing &... so extremely alone...
& find myself lost ... for more than mere wording... :shaking:

Gepubliceerd woensdag 23 januari 2008
Published Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Door/by: DAG / NOVUM

Afghan Journalism Student (23) Sentenced To Death

On Tuesday in Aghanistan, a student of journalism was sentenced to death for spreading a text he'd obtained from the internet and printed. A tribune of three judges in the northern province of Balkh determined Sayad Parwez Kambaksh in so doing had offended the Islam and deserves capital punishment.

The journalist's family as well as the Afghan union of journalists deem the verdict unacceptable, as no lawyer has attended proceedings. Kambaksh is in detention since October and must remain so pending appeal proceedings against the verdict. Balkh's highest judge, Fazel Wahab, stated he'd had no details of the text at his disposal, except that it was addressed against the Islam. Wahab said Kambaksh' fellow students had registered their complaints about the text with the authorities.

A demonstration last week in the city of Mazar-i-Sharif, where the student used to work as a reporter for the Jahan-i-Naw newspaper, petitioned the authorities above all not to release Kambaksh; [this upon] earlier insistance from members of a clerical council the 23 year old be punished. Although some allege Kambash himself to be the author of the piece, his brother Yacoubi Brahimi maintains it was by Iranian hand, and his brother had come across it on the internet.

According to Wahad, not only had Kambaksh declined to procure legal representation at trial, but also owned to having offended the Islam deliberately. The judge observed how, due to this confession, only president Hamid Karzai might still remit his sentence.

As journalists' union president Rhimullah Samandar commented, the judges had based their verdict on Article 130 of the Afghan constitution, which states so-called Hanafi case law must be consulted in case the law does not provide a solution to a certain matter. This orthodox interpretation of soennite Islam is mainly followed in southern and central parts of Asia. "We totally condemn this trial. It contravenes the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press", quoth Samandar.

Unauthorized translation from Dutch: Robert Seepers (oblio iii)
source:
http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=677 ... /sc=38b67b

may your god forgive you

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:48 pm

It is worse than we think topic

Dear Obio

I am unable to find an English translation for this article. I did check the link you provided but it was in Dutch, and I was unable to get it translated. the information you provided in your post was helpful. I am interested in free speech issues.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

23 Jan 2008, 4:24 pm

sartresue wrote:
It is worse than we think topic

Dear Obio

I am unable to find an English translation for this article. I did check the link you provided but it was in Dutch, and I was unable to get it translated. the information you provided in your post was helpful. I am interested in free speech issues.

dear sartresue

please :) refer to my posting this topic: THAT IS THE TRANSLATION
please note who took responsibility for unauthorized translation

me
[i certainly would have done a better writing job, as a tranlator my aim is to be true to the source text - pay me for translating crap and merde is what you get]

personnally, i'm only truly interested in issues Kafkaesque

BTW >> btw it IS oblio (i decapitalize as much as i can, not just linguistically)

please please me (o i can't be that old can i)

love,

x oblio x

may your god forgive you