ABC Drama, Eli Stone, Tackles Autism-Mercury Controversy

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 2:26 pm

ABC Drama, Eli Stone, Tackles Autism-Mercury Controversy (PR Newswire)

To: HEALTH EDITORS

Contact: Elizabeth Kilpatrick of SafeMinds, +1-714-625-5663, [email protected]

ATLANTA, Jan. 30 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SafeMinds has formally asked ABC to resist the latest attempt by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to stifle public discussion on the link between thimerosal and autism. According to an article published in the New York Times last week, the premiere episode of Eli Stone, an ABC drama, depicts the main character, Eli Stone, successfully bringing a mother's lawsuit to court against a pharmaceutical company claiming that a vaccine additive, "mercuritol", in their influenza vaccine caused her son's autism. 'Mecuritol' resembles the real-life mercury-containing compound thimerosal, used in infant vaccines as a preservative.

A letter from AAP's president has urged ABC to cancel the program. Along with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), AAP's Committee on Infectious Diseases makes official recommendations on infant vaccines, and together they were responsible for the addition of mercury-containing vaccines to the infant immunization schedule, including influenza vaccines. Despite the availability of mercury-free flu vaccines, both AAP and CDC have refused to state a preference for them for infants and pregnant women. AAP's conflict of interest on thimerosal vaccines was not stated in their letter to ABC.

ABC has responded that they will air the episode and add a statement that the episode is fictional and to visit the CDC's website for more information on autism. SafeMinds, in its own letter to ABC, applauded their resolve to air the episode. In the interest of offering objective and balanced information on the real-life mercury-autism issue, SafeMinds has requested that ABC state that research on thimerosal's effects is on-going and that viewers be given the opportunity to visit the SafeMinds website as well as CDC's. The Safeminds website provides information on scientific research and analysis supporting a mercury-autism link and mercury-containing vaccines and their alternatives.

more...

- Emerson

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:51 pm

It makes you long for the days when a wooden stake and a handy crossroads burial site were all that was needed to make things like that go away forever......

:cry:

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 6:11 pm

I've seen so much about this I finally went out to the ABC site and sent them the following message tagged to "Eli Stone" and "Complaint"

I find the advertising regarding the premier episode of this show highly disturbing. As someone with an autistic spectrum disorder, and the father of two autistic children, I find the plotline of this show, and the implication that mercury is connected to autism to be sadly misguided and frankly, offensive. Science has clearly proven autism is genetic in nature and not caused by mercury. Additionally, the implication that vaccines are dangerous is despicable and not in the public interest.

I'm tempted to cc it to the FCC. If someone can find a word offensive, or a breast... I don't see why I can't find blatant stupidity to be just as offensive...

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 4:09 pm

MrMark wrote:
ABC has responded that they will air the episode and add a statement that the episode is fictional

The disclaimer of AC is ridiculous: they air this story about vaccines, and say it is fiction; ABC is irresponsible and, in fact, they contribute to the Wakefield myth, probably dissuading some people from vacciating their children. A intervention of the FCC would be required.