Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2008, 12:37 am

http://tinyurl.com/q4jpr

On May 9th 2006, Autism Speaks launched a film entitled 'Autism Every Day'.

This film was alleged to depict the realities of autism, described by the film's Producer Lauren Thierry as:

"At this point we need to be showing the world what the vast reality truly is. [Lauren says]…that reality includes images of kids not sleeping through the night, banging their heads against the wall or running into traffic – not images of kids setting basketball records or passionately playing the violin."

It later transpired that the film had been 'set up' and that Thierry had purposefully attempted to display the worst possible view to the world:

"Thierry told her subjects not to do their hair, vacuum or bring in the therapists. She showed up with her crew at their homes sight unseen and kept the cameras rolling as a mom literally wrestled with her son to get him to brush his teeth, as a 9-year-old had a public meltdown, as a 5-year-old had his diaper changed. And, as moms revealed dark and uncomfortable truths about living with autism. The result is a window into an exhausting world of interminable work."

The film itself contained a segment where one of the mothers interviewed said that:

"I remember that was a scary moment for me when I realized I had sat in the car for about 15 minutes and actually contemplated putting Jody in the car and driving off the George Washington Bridge. That would be preferable to having to put her in one of these schools."

The mother in question made this statement whilst her autistic daughter was in the room with her. She further added that the only reason she didn't kill her autistic child and herself was the thought of her non-disabled daughter.

Producer Thierry called this section 'gutsy and courageous' and added that:

"If most mothers of autistic children…look hard enough within themselves they will find that they have played out a similar scenario in their minds. If this is not your reality, then God bless you."

Autism Speaks: Don't Speak For Me

We, the undersigned:

-Utterly repudiate the notion of murder being an acceptable response to disability
-Vehemently deny that most parents of autistic — or otherwise disabled — children harbour thoughts of murder
-Testify that the false 'reality' concocted by Autism Speaks film 'Autism Every Day' is not a true reflection of the reality of parenting an autistic child
-Call for a public apology from Lauren Thierry for increasing ignorance regarding autism

Please add your signature to the petition. Your email address is required but will never be displayed or used for any other purposes.

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:27 am

I signed! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:45 am

My name was already on there :)

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:40 am

Thanks for the petition. I have already signed it. Add my voice to the many others on the autism spectrum who know that "Autism Everyday" is nothing but a piece of crap.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

04 Feb 2008, 10:11 am

Thanks very much for the petition. I signed.

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2008, 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone who signed. I only happened to notice it out there the other day even though it appears to have been there for a while.

I do wish everyone on WrongPlanet would sign. Considering the membership here, we could really make a statement.

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 7:47 pm

Sign the petition topic

A member here posted a Youtube video about Autism Speaks everyday, and I think it mentioned that Lauren Thierry woman. I wish Autism Speaks would stop speaking evil and so much drivel.

Yes. Everyone please sign!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2008, 8:08 pm

Wow. I can go into a long rant about his but I'll spare you.

I've signed my name.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 1:15 am

i added mine.
1068 signatures so far. that was after i added mine.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 Feb 2008, 4:04 am

Signed it.
I am signature 1069.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2008, 7:43 am

I signed it.