Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:08 am

Tell them to stop eating cows.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 2:18 am

Well hold on for a minute. Wolves are predators that will kill livestock if given the chance. A lamb or calf is dinner just like a deer. And they don't just stop at livestock, they will attack and kill domestic dogs that they see as intruders on their territory.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2008, 6:04 am

I think people have to learn how to respect such remarkable creatures like the wolf.

The best way is to learn how to live in such environs were wolves are quite common and how to prevent wolves from attacking livestock rather than killing them. After all, where the farms are, that is also wolves' territory. Unfortunately, people are so incensed on making money by a eliminating the problem rather than trying to research another solution, which could lead to the problem working in your favour rather than against.

Anyone who can fully understand nature will be the best bet for helping to find some other method to deal with anything such as wolves and other predators.

PaperCrusade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 6:18 am

JDoherty wrote:
I think people have to learn how to respect such remarkable creatures like the wolf.

The best way is to learn how to live in such environs were wolves are quite common and how to prevent wolves from attacking livestock rather than killing them. After all, where the farms are, that is also wolves' territory. Unfortunately, people are so incensed on making money by a eliminating the problem rather than trying to research another solution, which could lead to the problem working in your favour rather than against.

Anyone who can fully understand nature will be the best bet for helping to find some other method to deal with anything such as wolves and other predators.

I couldn't agree with you more. Too bad so many people see killing as the easy option :(

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2008, 8:08 am

The farms should accept that the land isnt all just theirs and sometimes they might lose one of their livestock to wolves just like they would to disease or illness. But all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ their livestock is worth and want as much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as they can get so they eliminate anything that takes away their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because they are greedy. They steal the wolves lands and take their lives too but this isnt new they used to do it to humans too.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2008, 8:43 am

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3015683&page=1

This man has found a way of helping farmers find better ways of dealing with wolves.I find this really intresting,he lives as a wolf and has to eats meat and nothing else because they can pick up scent.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:04 am

Deer hunting is big sport in Florida. Hunters carefully manage the deer population. If they didn't, the deer population probably would have been wiped out 50 years ago by the screwworm. Having a species go extinct is the last thing in the world hunters want. To the animal, man is just another predator. It's nothing personal. I don't hunt, but I've gotton to know some who do, and I have great admiration and respect for those I've gotten to know.

- Emerson

Afroman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2008, 10:28 am

If there are to many wolves.... then a hunt in the best way of dealing with it....... like animal populations do have to be kept in check

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 10:49 am

Wolf Report topic

My son did a project on wolves about four years ago, and the best way is to trap the wolves and relocate them to another area or to a game preserve. Hunting only results in illegal hunting. Dangerous and inhumane.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2008, 12:16 pm

I wonder how the world wouldve survived without humans to maintain populations of wolves.......

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 1:40 pm

Years ago most of the wolves were driven out of the US (that is killed) and as a result wild deer population outgrew , began to eat away at too many plants ans serious erosion resulted.

Everything has a purpose and function to the great watchmakers plan.

I just wonder where WE screwed up cause it certainly doesnt FEEL like werere on track.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 7:36 pm

Tensho wrote:
The farms should accept that the land isnt all just theirs and sometimes they might lose one of their livestock to wolves just like they would to disease or illness. But all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ their livestock is worth and want as much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as they can get so they eliminate anything that takes away their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because they are greedy. They steal the wolves lands and take their lives too but this isnt new they used to do it to humans too.

I agree. They don't care that the wolf killed the cow because they loved the cow, they care that the cow was killed because the cow brings in cash.

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:36 pm

wolves only kill out of nessecity.they are incredible graceful creatures

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 Feb 2008, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Wolves have increasingly preyed on livestock as they expanded into new territories.

...this is not a legitimate reason for people to kill these creatures!
Ok, so wolves are eating live-stock...but thats how they survive! It's the way nature works and how it will always work. Humans better get used to it whether they like it or not...as nothing they do can change it. Killing of a species will do more damage than good...as once you wipe a species off the planet...you can never get back!

Sure, they say that the wolves are "thriving"...but with people targetting them, how long will it be before they end back upon the endangered species list? In my opinion, not long at all.
The wolves are doing nothing wrong, only trying to survive...gahh!! ! Humans are so stupid at times!! !

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 10:33 pm

oh for Gaia's sake...

do any of you eat MEAT?? Wear leather??? Here's a newsflash you wouldn't have either without farmers. Most farmers barely break even, AGRIBUSINESSES make great profits, but they don't graze their animals in wolf territory, they pen them in giant barns and feed them from troughs with hormone laced grain.

A farmer "losing a few cows" may lose his freakin farm... Unless you're a vegan, it's time to face up to where your food and clothes come from. And unless you want to have no recourse for meat other than doped up hormone laced agrichow then give the farmer's some props and let them do their jobs. At least that gives the people who are willing to go to local butchers the chance to get meat that came from something resembling a real animal and not a bloated bag of meat substitute... The "wolf territory" your talking about hasn't had a viable population of wolves for a hundred years or more. That's 3-4 generations of humans, a dozen or more for wolves... The land is being used by humans now, and the wolves will make out just fine. A few getting culled will teach the rest, they're smart. Look at the freaking coyotes... they've expanded all across the country, living in cities now. Wolves will adapt and cope. And don't even get me started on puma's. Those damned things shouldn't be within a 100 miles of a child.... ever.