Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,485
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

08 Apr 2008, 9:56 am

Quatermass wrote:
Personally, given his attitude as head of the NRA, I say good riddance. 'From my cold dead hands' indeed.


Amen to that. While I don't really care about this guy, I will still have sympathy for the family that is dealing with the loss of a loved one... I know how that feels.


_________________
Humans are intelligent, but that doesn't make them smart.


reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 933
Location: Alaska

08 Apr 2008, 10:07 am

I loved the movie "Soylent Green" and often think about how his father went to such a nice pristine place to commit suicide, while watching movies of wildlife that had long since vanished. Even as a child I wondered if it would ever really be like that. When I hear of Dr. Kavorkaian (That HAS to be spelled wrong sorry :oops: ) and how many species are going extinct, I think of how its coming to that, slowly but surely.
I am leery of seaweed based food and beverage products to this day because in my head I always hear
"Soylent Green is People"
As for his death....he was old, it was time, he'll be remembered for awhile. What more could you want?


_________________
Did I dream this belief, or did I believe this dream?
Peter Gabriel

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."


ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,939
Location: Europe

08 Apr 2008, 11:17 am

golly, amazed by so many posts praising his acting. To me he was one of the worst hollywood actors, all wooden, fake, and utterly overdone. When I first heard about the guns I thought that it figured, went with the poor acting! :lol:

8)



Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 233
Location: Dieppe, New Brunswick

08 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

Charlton will be missed.

Loved him in Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes.

Indeed, Soylent green... Is People.


_________________
Life is a journey, let's ride :)


The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 193
Location: The Continuum

09 Apr 2008, 7:25 am

"From my cold, dead hands!"


_________________
Q: "Humans are such commonplace little creatures."
--"Deja Q"


slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

12 Apr 2008, 7:04 am

agmoie wrote:
He was a good man and great actor and a man who stood up for individual rights and Liberty against those who would have us `live` in a Big Brother run commie red fascist state.


The correlation between gun-ownership and gun-deaths could not be stronger. :skull:

The NRA are responsible for all the lives lost at Columbine and Virginia Tech. Y'know, there is such a thing as fighting the power for the wrong reasons. Does that make every nutjob lobbyist group into heroes? I think not. For an example of the red commie fascist state, see REBUPLIC OF CHINA. :!: :!:



Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 206

12 Apr 2008, 9:00 am

The original "Planet of the Apes" is one of my favorite movies. And who can resist watching cheesy campy trash like "Soylent Green" or "The Omega Man"? :lol:

Charlton will be missed.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,269
Location: Seattle-ish

19 Apr 2008, 9:20 pm

I don't normally get riled up, but some of you really aught to be ashamed of yourselves. Celebrating a man's death because you disagree with his politics is pretty low, all things considered. I might add, the only people with blood on their hands due to school massacres are the people who actually pull the trigger. Blaming the tools is a cop out, look at Africa, all the massacres there are carried out with farming implements, and they still manage to kill each other quite well.



nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,582
Location: Arizona

19 Apr 2008, 10:52 pm

I find it always interesting that tolerant liberals are always the ones to heap scorn and intolerance and even to the point of heaping it upon the dead.


_________________
Who is John Galt?
Still Moofy after all these years
It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion
cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button


slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

20 Apr 2008, 7:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
I don't normally get riled up, but some of you really aught to be ashamed of yourselves. Celebrating a man's death because you disagree with his politics is pretty low, all things considered. I might add, the only people with blood on their hands due to school massacres are the people who actually pull the trigger. Blaming the tools is a cop out, look at Africa, all the massacres there are carried out with farming implements, and they still manage to kill each other quite well.


The people who pulled the trigger would not have had such easy access to guns in the first place had it not been for NRA and NRA supporters. The availability of guns, vis-a-vis gun lobbyists, literally put the weapon in the hand of the kid who shot up his school.

I disagree with more than the late Charlton Heston's politics; I disagree with his philosophy of life. Blaming the tools isn't a cop-out if those "tools" happen to be firearms. Unlike farming equipment, a gun has but one purpose: killing. It's specialization as a tool of death is absolute. You can't compare them to farming equipment.



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

20 Apr 2008, 7:10 am

nutbag wrote:
I find it always interesting that tolerant liberals are always the ones to heap scorn and intolerance and even to the point of heaping it upon the dead.


You think only tolerant liberals do this? Seriously?



velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,373

20 Apr 2008, 7:17 am

slowmutant wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
I don't normally get riled up, but some of you really aught to be ashamed of yourselves. Celebrating a man's death because you disagree with his politics is pretty low, all things considered. I might add, the only people with blood on their hands due to school massacres are the people who actually pull the trigger. Blaming the tools is a cop out, look at Africa, all the massacres there are carried out with farming implements, and they still manage to kill each other quite well.


The people who pulled the trigger would not have had such easy access to guns in the first place had it not been for NRA and NRA supporters. The availability of guns, vis-a-vis gun lobbyists, literally put the weapon in the hand of the kid who shot up his school.

I disagree with more than the late Charlton Heston's politics; I disagree with his philosophy of life. Blaming the tools isn't a cop-out if those "tools" happen to be firearms. Unlike farming equipment, a gun has but one purpose: killing. It's specialization as a tool of death is absolute. You can't compare them to farming equipment.


By that skewed logic Colombia and Mexico, as well as Sicily must have very low crime rates because of their strict gun laws.

And what about your own Country working so hard to protect Charles Eng from being put on trial in California? How about blaming those tools who protected him.



nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,582
Location: Arizona

20 Apr 2008, 7:29 am

Can anyone tell of a throng of conservatives in orgasmic joy over the death of a liberal leader? It doesn't happen.


_________________
Who is John Galt?
Still Moofy after all these years
It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion
cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button


slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

20 Apr 2008, 8:06 am

Outlawing guns seems like the answer,but we all know it isn't.

"If guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns," is a
pet-phrase of the NRA, and they are so right. It's the mentality and the spirit behind guns that need to be changed.

People will find new ways to defend firearms, new ways to twist logic and appeal to emotion. Tobacco, ditto. Alcohol, ditto. Drugs, ditto. But where does that sweet, sweet balance exist? If nothing went too far and everything seemed equitable?

Good judgement and reason is the dividing line between these two agendas, I might say. But people, en masse, have neither good judgement nor reason. So that leaves us fighting between liberal ideals and conservative ideals.



velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,373

20 Apr 2008, 9:12 am

slowmutant wrote:
Outlawing guns seems like the answer,but we all know it isn't.

"If guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns," is a
pet-phrase of the NRA, and they are so right. It's the mentality and the spirit behind guns that need to be changed.

People will find new ways to defend firearms, new ways to twist logic and appeal to emotion. Tobacco, ditto. Alcohol, ditto. Drugs, ditto. But where does that sweet, sweet balance exist? If nothing went too far and everything seemed equitable?

Good judgement and reason is the dividing line between these two agendas, I might say. But people, en masse, have neither good judgement nor reason. So that leaves us fighting between liberal ideals and conservative ideals.


I thought this thread was going to turn into a pissing match. Since you are not inclined to do so slowmutant then I guess i'll leave it alone. Have a good day. :)



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,269
Location: Seattle-ish

21 Apr 2008, 12:00 am

slowmutant wrote:
= Blaming the tools isn't a cop-out if those "tools" happen to be firearms. Unlike farming equipment, a gun has but one purpose: killing. It's specialization as a tool of death is absolute. You can't compare them to farming equipment.


Guns do one thing: throw a lump of lead down a long tube with varying degrees of precision. Where that lump of lead is directed is entirely up to the person pulling the trigger. People will kill each other regardless of access to the proper tools to do so, restricting access to firearms just makes it so law abiding people don't have a chance.