Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 3:24 am

Dox47 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
= Blaming the tools isn't a cop-out if those "tools" happen to be firearms. Unlike farming equipment, a gun has but one purpose: killing. It's specialization as a tool of death is absolute. You can't compare them to farming equipment.

Guns do one thing: throw a lump of lead down a long tube with varying degrees of precision. Where that lump of lead is directed is entirely up to the person pulling the trigger. People will kill each other regardless of access to the proper tools to do so, restricting access to firearms just makes it so law abiding people don't have a chance.

It also makes it harder for non-law abiding citizens to get their hands on them.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 4:53 am

The_Q wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
= Blaming the tools isn't a cop-out if those "tools" happen to be firearms. Unlike farming equipment, a gun has but one purpose: killing. It's specialization as a tool of death is absolute. You can't compare them to farming equipment.

Guns do one thing: throw a lump of lead down a long tube with varying degrees of precision. Where that lump of lead is directed is entirely up to the person pulling the trigger. People will kill each other regardless of access to the proper tools to do so, restricting access to firearms just makes it so law abiding people don't have a chance.

It also makes it harder for non-law abiding citizens to get their hands on them.

Yeah, if we ban guns it will be harder to get them. Just like it's hard to get crank, coke and heroin. I don't know what universe you live in Q, but here in Vallejo people still get illicit substances, commit rape and such, even though it is illegal to do so. We call these people criminals. They can be identified by their total lack of caring about the effect their actions have on others. If one of them comes to your house, I hope for your sake that TJ Hooker just happens to be waiting around the corner to save you. In the City that I live in Police response times are typically a half hour or more, what's the typical Police response time where you live?

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 9:24 am

In Australia, we have quite strict gun laws and we don't have the same problems with murders that you guys in the U.S. do. There's no need for citizens to have access to them except under special circumstances. Yes, you can argue that there's more than one way to kill a person, but statistically speaking, most murders happen in the heat of the moment and having easy access to a lethal weapon makes it that much more likely that an offender will carry through with his (or her) impulse.

Drugs are a problem here, but I can guarantee you that they'd be even more of a problem if they were available without any restriction. Have you heard of a drug called ICE?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 10:59 am

Ice is another form of methamphetamine, which we have plenty of where I am at. Your assertion that banning guns stops crime is BS. Mexico, Colombia and Venezuela have extremely high murder rates and very strict gun laws as well. If you believe that you are so unstable that access to weapon will make you a murderer, then you are probably right. As far as how most murders happen, most murderers have significant criminal history. The book More Guns, Less Crime does discuss factors other than gun ownership, and how those factors affect the crime rate. Also doing a search on "Gun Control's Twisted Outcome" gets a Reason magazine article about the UK's skyrocketing crime rate in the wake of a National gun ban. My guns have killed fewer people than that drunken slob Ted Kennedy, he's one of our hypocrites who wants to ban all guns that belong to the serf class and keep his own armed bodyguard.

All that aside, why do you even care how we do things here? We do have a 2nd Amendment and the Supreme Court is taking it up right now in Heller vs DC. So because you got screwed out of your privileges, would you then feel better if we get screwed out of our Rights?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:02 am

Maybe Q just cares about other people. It's not that uncommon.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:04 am

slowmutant wrote:
Maybe Q just cares about other people. It's not that uncommon.

So I don't?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:08 am

I dunno. You seem to place more importance on your right to bear arms than on the wellbeing of your fellow man. Your fellow man being the victims of gun violence.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:14 am

slowmutant wrote:
I dunno. You seem to place more importance on your right to bear arms than on the wellbeing of your fellow man. Your fellow man being the victims of gun violence.

Tell it to the unarmed victims in Rwanda.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:22 am

Quote:

You think more guns would have stopped the killing?

A very American response.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:30 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

You think more guns would have stopped the killing?

A very American response.

Armed people don't make such easy targets.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:36 am

Armed targets do not equal less killing! Arming both sides of the conflict equally would've ensured the death of every Rwandan native. Doesn't matter who won if they're all dead. :(

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:39 am

slowmutant wrote:
Armed targets do not equal less killing! Arming both sides of the conflict equally would've ensured the death of every Rwandan native. Doesn't matter who won if they're all dead. :(

So you like it better when one side gets wiped out with no significant resistance?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:45 am

slowmutant wrote:

So seeing his buddies shot on either side of him would not have cooled the jets of any machete wielding madmen?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 11:52 am

slowmutant wrote:

In fact, it was armed Tutsi's (not police) who came in and saved the day for those Tutsis not already murdered. They caused the killing to slow dramatically, and then stop. The entire nation of Rwanda is not dead from having both sides armed, but a lot of the Tutsi's are alive because their brothers were armed.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:57 am

No. I don't think anything would have stopped these machete-wielders from committing genocide on their own people. The presence of guns would not have deterred anyone from the slaughter.

The presence of guns may have swayed the battle in one side's favour and ended it sooner, but reprisals would've been quick on the heels of any decisive victory.

Military. Solutions. Do. Not. Work.

I'm done arguing.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 12:06 pm

slowmutant wrote:
No. I don't think anything would have stopped these machete-wielders from committing genocide on their own people. The presence of guns would not have deterred anyone from the slaughter.

The presence of guns may have swayed the battle in one side's favour and ended it sooner, but reprisals would've been quick on the heels of any decisive victory.

Military. Solutions. Do. Not. Work.

I'm done arguing.

What did stop the Genocide then, flowers and peace signs? Where are the reprisals you mention? Military solutions have worked throughout history. How else do you explain the rise of the Roman Empire, The Ottoman Empire, VE and VJ Days in WW II?