Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 1:16 pm

The talk like a pirate thread is a popular place, but did you know that real pirates still sail the seas robbing ships and causing havoc?

Check this out:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/prc/piracyreport.php

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

LardNar
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2005, 6:10 pm

Neuroman, you should check out the documentary film 'Ring of Fire'. It follows two brothers in their exploration of the islands of Indonesia. In the first volume (I think), they set sail with a crew of pirates from Celibes. It is quite fascinating to see video footage of real live pirates!

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 6:52 pm

Yes, I have watched some shows that show pirates at work myself. It is very interesting that we still have piracy in 21 st century.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

Urtunatelly, the pirates these days are much less romantic (as we have always imagined them) and cool than the great, old-fashioned, Jack Sparrow-kind of a pirate we all love and admire.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

SoftKitty wrote:
Urtunatelly, the pirates these days are much less romantic (as we have always imagined them) and cool than the great, old-fashioned, Jack Sparrow-kind of a pirate we all love and admire.

Agreed the ones today don't look like pirates.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:29 pm

Didn't pirates push a crippled man in a wheel chair off the Achillea Laurel?(not sure if I got that name right).
I read that some Somalian pirates took up the trade because another country fished all the tuna out of their fisheries.Not justifying it,just a comment on the subject.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 5:24 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
SoftKitty wrote:

Agreed the ones today don't look like pirates.

I was merely talking about their behavior.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Didn't pirates push a crippled man in a wheel chair off the Achillea Laurel?(not sure if I got that name right).
I read that some Somalian pirates took up the trade because another country fished all the tuna out of their fisheries.Not justifying it,just a comment on the subject.

That was PLO terrorists.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

That was PLO terrorists.

In the days when the Barbary Coast flourished most of the pirates were Muslim brigands preying on the ships of Kaffirs which is perfectly in line with the Q'ran.

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 5:41 pm

^^^^My memory is not what it used to be.
On the subject of Somalian pirates, I was thinking of present day.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:54 am

The Somali pirates are quite active. Some argue that they should be considered terrorists and not pirates. My problem with that is there has to be a political motivation for their actions in order for it to fall under the government's definition of terrorism. Even al-Qaida has political motivations. Pirates tend to be in it for the booty, so to speak. Yaargh.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:33 pm

Gay pirates are also in for the booty :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

kevv729 wrote:
Yes, I have watched some shows that show pirates at work myself. It is very interesting that we still have piracy in 21 st century.

Why are you surprised? The motive is still the same: Taking valuables from parties who are not likely to defend themselves very well. Piracy has existed non-stop every since man has taken to the high seas. Piracy varies only when there are sufficiently powerful naval forces deployed that will protect peaceful commercial travel on the high seas. Or when commercial ships are able to defend themselves against pirates.

ruveyn