Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The NRA was caught sending a spy into an anti-gun group... should this case be prosecuted as a crime?
Yes, it is definitely criminal. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
No, there was nothing wrong with what the NRA did. 51%  51%  [ 24 ]
Maybe, it isn't criminal, but it was definitely unethical. 43%  43%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 47

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:22 am

No, I meant you forgot Rule Three

1. All guns are always loaded
2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy
3. Keep your finger off the trigger (out of the Triggerguard) until your sights are on target (you are ready to shoot).
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

*Shrug* That's the way I was always taught them.

Dox47 wrote:
Castle Doctrine is another name for it, but they are also colloquially referred to as "make my day laws".

Strange, I've never heard it referred to in that way.

Dox47 wrote:
Colorado and Texas are the two states that come to mind that have Castle Doctrine on the books, but I believe other states have it as well.

Florida was the first to pass it into law, I believe.

Dox47 wrote:
I of course think it should be universal, since it shields homeowners from being sued by burglars injured during a break in, among other things.
Indeed.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:09 pm

T-rav20 wrote:
No, I meant you forgot Rule Three

1. All guns are always loaded
2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy
3. Keep your finger off the trigger (out of the Triggerguard) until your sights are on target (you are ready to shoot).
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

*Shrug* That's the way I was always taught them.

Oh, I was just taught them in a different order. When I teach people to shoot I teach them to index their finger along side the trigger guard by putting their index finger on the pin holding the slide stop lever, or alongside the top of the trigger guard. I had an FN FiveseveN handgun for a while that put the safety in that exact position, it was like someone designed if for me.

Incidentally, when I taught friends to shoot, women tended to pick up the safety rules and technique pretty easily, it was always the guys I had trouble with about following the rules. They never wanted to follow my instructions, and I was constantly yelling "finger off the trigger!", "Lean into it!" or "Squeeze slowly, don't jerk!". Couples where always fun if they'd never shot before, the girl would inevitably out shoot the guy until he decided to pay attention to what I was teaching.

Dox47 wrote:
Castle Doctrine is another name for it, but they are also colloquially referred to as "make my day laws".

T-rav20 wrote:
Strange, I've never heard it referred to in that way.

Here's Wikipedia on Castle Doctrine being called a make my day law:

Wikipedia wrote:
Castle Doctrines are legislated by state, and not all states in the US have a Castle Doctrine. The term "Make My Day Law" comes from the landmark 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force - including deadly force - against an invader of the home.[1] The law's nickname is a reference to the famous line uttered by Clint Eastwood's character Dirty Harry in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go ahead, make my day."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:06 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Incidentally, when I taught friends to shoot, women tended to pick up the safety rules and technique pretty easily, it was always the guys I had trouble with about following the rules. They never wanted to follow my instructions, and I was constantly yelling "finger off the trigger!", "Lean into it!" or "Squeeze slowly, don't jerk!". Couples where always fun if they'd never shot before, the girl would inevitably out shoot the guy until he decided to pay attention to what I was teaching.
Heh, I was taught to shoot by women (my mom), so that may make me some sort of bizarre exception.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

M02
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2008, 8:23 am

What is the NRA stand on private citizens owning automatic assault rifles? There are not the type of weapons that people use to hunt with or for target shooting.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 9:03 am

An assault rifle is probably more fun than a pistol, so by that reasoning every American should own one. :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 11:55 am

I prefer pump-action shotguns, as they make a more impressive sound when you chamber a new round.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm

M02 wrote:
What is the NRA stand on private citizens owning automatic assault rifles? There are not the type of weapons that people use to hunt with or for target shooting.

I'm not sure of the NRA's position on automatic weapons, but I'm sure they oppose further restrictions on them. If your state will allow it, in order to own an automatic weapon you need to go through a long and expensive process involving getting the personal permission of the chief law enforcer for your area (usually the county sheriff), waiting 3-6 months for the ATF to process your application and decide you are not a danger, and of course automatic weapons START in the mid 4 figures. To date, their has only been ONE murder ever committed in this country with a legally owned full auto, and the killer was a cop who murdered a drug dealer. Full autos are flashy and get a lot of attention, but as far as their use in crime, they are too controlled and expensive to be common. If you legally own one, it has to be accounted for at all times, and the ATF can come and check on it at any time. Further, there are all sorts of restrictions on what you can own, depending on where and when it was manufactured. To my knowledge, to no one is making an issue out of full auto at the moment, because it's a non issue.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 3:40 pm

Private citizens do not need automatic weapons. Are AK-47s even practical for self-defence? I mean, really.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Private citizens do not need automatic weapons. Are AK-47s even practical for self-defence? I mean, really.

Who said anything about need? Did you even bother to fully read my post, or did you miss the part about there only having been 1 murder ever committed in the US with a legally owned Class 3 weapon? If Class 3 weapons are not being used in crime, why should they be banned? I'd understand your sentiment more if people where being killed regularly with fully automatic weapons, but they are not. I have to guess that you simply don't like them, or think that they are scary, because there is no other explanation for your opinion.

As to being useful for self defense, a Class 3 weapon may be useful, but I would not use one because of the legal headache. The chain of custody alone would be a nightmare, and then some bottom feeding attorney is going to try to portray you as some sort of cold blooded killer in civil court because you used such an "evil" weapon on his client, who despite his multi-volume sheet was "just about to turn his life around". A 12 gauge pump does the job just as well, and a Wingmaster plays much better in court than an Armalite. Incidentally, I do have a semi-auto AK in my safe next to the 12 gauge, but that's in case the zombies invade... :wink:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:31 pm

Given the unlikely nature of a zombie-attack, what real use do you have for a full auto weapon other than impressing your friends?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Given the unlikely nature of a zombie-attack, what real use do you have for a full auto weapon other than impressing your friends?

Dox47 wrote:
Did you even bother to fully read my post?...

...Incidentally, I do have a semi-auto AK in my safe next to the 12 gauge, but that's in case the zombies invade... :wink:

Maybe you aren't concerned about the threat of zombie attack, but then again Canadian zombies probably ask you politely for some brains, eh? American zombies are a bit more forceful about the whole brain thing, and seeing as I'm using my brain, well you get the idea. Or not.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:43 pm

slowmutant wrote;

Quote:

I think I’m big enough to determine what I “need”. Anyway, it’s not about what we “need” otherwise we’d see people having a lot less in the way of unnecessary possessions. I can’t see where anyone “needs” a sports car, muscle car, or a big SUV or in most cases even a big quad cab duallie pickup. Legality shouldn’t be determined by “need”.

Even if full auto (Class III) weapons were the tool of choice for crime/murder that does not make the weapons themselves at fault or suggest that they should be banned. No matter what kind of weapon it’s still the operator that’s doing the killing.

If you get drunk and run over someone with your car is it your car’s fault?

slowmutant wrote;
Quote:

:roll:
It doesn’t need to have a practical use! Call it recreational equipment and leave it at that.

The reason full auto (Class III) weapons are so expensive is because of a federal law passed in 1986 that made it illegal to sell newly manufactured Class III weapons to private owners. That has driven the prices of existing (pre-86) weapons higher and higher as time has gone by.
Even with that in place and ever since the National Firearms Act of 1934 there has been a $200 transfer tax on each transfer of each Class III weapon.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 6:37 pm

Deadly weapons as recreational equipment?

I'l leave it at that, but only because I don't care for further argument.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 7:58 pm

slowmutant wrote:

The Olympics include 10 shooting events (various rifle, pistol and shot-gun competitions), and the pentathalon includes a pistol event. And then there is archery, which is quieter ... though the bow has long qualified as a deadly weapon.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 8:14 pm

When I first learned to drive I was told that cars were "deadly weapons" and I still beleive that to be true since it IS true. Since in some cases vehicles are recreational and they are VERY deadly I guess they should be banned.

And what about baseball bats?

Last edited by Raptor on 12 Aug 2008, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 9:33 pm

monty wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

The Olympics include 10 shooting events (various rifle, pistol and shot-gun competitions), and the pentathalon includes a pistol event. And then there is archery, which is quieter ... though the bow has long qualified as a deadly weapon.

Dang, beat me to it! I was going to mention the javelin too, since there have been a few accidental impalements recently.

Don't lie Slow, you love "further argument", if you didn't why else would you be here? I don't know if I'd go so far as to call many of your posts "arguments" though, I think "ejaculations" would be the more fitting term.