Texas School District to allow Teachers to be armed

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:53 pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/834022.html

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm

I can see where having armed teachers would be more of a deterrent than an actual problem. The whole “gun free” zone thing is ludicrous, anyway. The schools that have had shootings were “gun free” so I guess the plan didn’t work out so well.
Waiting for the cops to show up then actually do something besides buy time for themselves by assessing the situation to death just doesn’t cut it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:36 pm

It would be funny to see Mrs. Tate wielding an assault rifle.

"Ya'll better behave!"

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

A concealed handgun is more like it. Out of sight out of mind until needed.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:01 am

what a scenario.....
I hope the teachers don't just pull the guns out and threaten students for the heck of it or shoot them just because they are annoying or whatever.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:07 am

tweety_fan wrote:
what a scenario.....
I hope the teachers don't just pull the guns out and threaten students for the heck of it or shoot them just because they are annoying or whatever.

Well, that would be a firing offense....

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:42 am

Ok what if the teacher thinks a student is going to attack and kills them???? What that student was autistic and was having a very bad meltdown and the teacher shot them for some reason. Guns have two purposes to infect damage to living tissue and to kill someone the tools of death should not be in the hands of those who are nurturers. How about instead we deal with the real problems, poverty, gangs, discrimination, movies, music and video games that promote violence as a solution instead of a problem.

Note: I only said that violent games promote violence not cause it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 5:23 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Ok what if the teacher thinks a student is going to attack and kills them???? What that student was autistic and was having a very bad meltdown and the teacher shot them for some reason.

Well, then hopefully that will be deterred by the fear of that being considered murder.
Quote:
the tools of death should not be in the hands of those who are nurturers.

Meh, parents own guns too.
Quote:
How about instead we deal with the real problems, poverty, gangs, discrimination, movies, music and video games that promote violence as a solution instead of a problem.

Let's see, poverty, gangs, discrimination, movies, music, and video games are a lot of very difficult things to deal with. Allowing teachers to have guns is a lot easier. So, if you are questioning the decision to pick an easy to implement solution as opposed to a difficult if not impossible to implement solution(a long list, a lot of that costly and difficult to address, also how do you really deal with movies, video games and music without banning them or something like that?), then the easy one makes more sense.
Quote:
Note: I only said that violent games promote violence not cause it.

Umm... what is the real difference? If something promotes something, then isn't it a partial cause?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 5:57 am

"Violent" games can be fun, as long as nobody gets hurt. Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Chess, MiG 29, F22 Raptor, 007 Goldeneye, Halo - those are some of my favorites. Also, I've used an AR-15, AK-47, shotguns, handguns, rifles - to shoot Pepsi bottles and clay pigeons.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:03 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
"Violent" games can be fun, as long as nobody gets hurt. Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Chess, MiG 29, F22 Raptor, 007 Goldeneye, Halo - those are some of my favorites. Also, I've used an AR-15, AK-47, shotguns, handguns, rifles - to shoot Pepsi bottles and clay pigeons.

I like the old Command and Conquer games, I haven't played in a while, and I haven't bought Command and Conquer 3 or Generals.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:08 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I like the old Command and Conquer games, I haven't played in a while, and I haven't bought Command and Conquer 3 or Generals.

Red Alert was the first one I played and liked (because of the skirmish mode - I loved the Docklands map.) Tiberian Sun was annoying because I couldn't stop the hunter-killer drones. Generals is the first one I completed a campaign on (for USA anyway.) Zero Hour has some neat units and the General's Challenge is the best feature of it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:11 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Red Alert was the first one I played and liked (because of the skirmish mode - I loved the Docklands map.) Tiberian Sun was annoying because I couldn't stop the hunter-killer drones. Generals is the first one I completed a campaign on (for USA anyway.) Zero Hour has some neat units and the General's Challenge is the best feature of it.

Hmm... I liked the original, but partially because the AI was so dumb that you could stop it by building walls in front of their land forces. Playing on skirmish for the first one would be really nice though.

I can see how the hunter killer drones would be annoying, they are so random.

I think I enjoy Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2 the most though.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 6:13 am

Great idea! if schools start to be armed I know for sure nobody will try shooting up the place, they depend on having helpless victims that can't defend themselves. soon as you stop being helpless victims they find someplace else to hit.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:21 am

Betzalel wrote:
Great idea! if schools start to be armed I know for sure nobody will try shooting up the place, they depend on having helpless victims that can't defend themselves. soon as you stop being helpless victims they find someplace else to hit.

Only the teachers would be armed.

If students were to be allowed to carry armaments, I would hope it would only be in high school... elementary and middle school kids... uh that would be insane.

If the kids are homeschooled and start acting violent, you'd see corporal punishment in action.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 6:27 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Betzalel wrote:

Only the teachers would be armed.

If students were to be allowed to carry armaments, I would hope it would only be in high school... elementary and middle school kids... uh that would be insane.

If the kids are homeschooled and start acting violent, you'd see corporal punishment in action.

No s**t sherlock I was referring to the teachers, them being armed is more than enough. I would never advocate students being armed, unless they are college students. I was simply stating that where there is a strong defense you will not find people showing up ready to do a mass murder they will pick a softer target.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:28 am

This isn't as strange an idea as it initially sounds. The kid that shot up his high school in Pearl Mississippi was stopped by the school's principal, who ran to his truck that was parked off of school grounds to retrieve his handgun. This fact was almost completely ignored by the mainstream media, but a little article about it can be found here:

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/othwr/principal&gun.htm