Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 12:48 am

He rigged his rig to beat toll

He might have gotten away with it if he'd also rigged up some oil slicks and smoke screens...

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 4:31 am

sneaky

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:05 pm

Sounds like some trick from The Fast and The Furious or Need for Speed or some similar street racing movie/game.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:41 pm

The hiding license plate was a favorite trick in the Fast and Furious movies, in the theme for the second movie Ludacris mentions "hideaway license plates". Tolls must be different on the east coast than out west, because here we have actual toll collectors. But then again the only toll bridges are in the San Francisco and Seattle areas, and there's a handful of toll expressways in Los Angeles. Looking at a map, there's tons of toll freeways back east, with toll booths every 5 miles or so, so staffing them all would be too expensive. West of Chicago there's only a couple of real toll freeways-turnpikes in Kansas and Oklahoma, I think-until you get to the coast. I bet that the hinged plate is to avoid cameras that snap a pic of your plate if you don't pay, like red light cameras in California. Out here people just refuse to put the front plate on, and the cops are stretched so thin that they can't make them.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:47 pm

I just read the actual story. $5 one way? That sounds like San Francisco, where the toll on the state owned bridges is now $5, to pay for the new Bay Bridge (the old one wasn't earthquake safe) and now the toll on the world famous, privately owned Golden Gate Bridge is something like $9 one way!

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:50 pm

he's an idiot - if he didn't want to get caught he should have just splattered some mud on the back of his license plate. Then he could claim he didn't realize his plate was obstructed if he was pulled over and the cop would be likely to believe him

*they want to a told thats over $3 every time you use it in my little middle of the nowhere hometown. And the reason its so expensive is that rather than putting in one of those machines that you drop money in, they want to do one that takes a picture of your license plate and sends you a bill in the mail. The cost of the photos and mailling the bills are significantly more than the cost of hiring someone to service the machines that take your money without an attendent

And this is also on the road that most of the people in the area use not only to get to work, but to get to places like the grocery store.