Black Dog Barkapalooza aims to boost adoptions of black dogs

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NJwlss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2008, 10:02 pm

The fark.com headline for this story was "In the pet adoption world, people are racist". ha!
but the story is really sad.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/092808dnmetblackpups.d2bfad.html
my dog is big and black and really cool so i hope more people adopt dogs like her.

Last edited by NJwlss on 28 Sep 2008, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 10:04 pm

How sad. :( I have two dogs, but neither of them are black. I really like large black dogs though. I absolutely love how they look.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2008, 3:20 am

Some people are apparently put off by black dogs because of the links with 'hellhound' and 'black dog' folklaw etc. But that's the very reason as to why I like them. xD

Berk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2008, 3:49 am

Black dogs kick ass! Especially Dobes 8)

In fact most dogs are cool full stop.

The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power, because they control the minds of the masses - Malcom X

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2008, 4:25 am

I had a lovely black Labrador for many years, and I missed her terribly when she died. She was a wonderful loving pet and companion.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2008, 6:30 am

My aunt has just got a black lab puppy for her children-I can't wait to meet her at christmas (she was named after my dead hamster). :)

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:49 am

Black cats suffer from the same misfortune of being hard to adopt out. I'd say the color that is probably in the most demand is calicos, those get adopted out lightning-fast. I wonder what the easiest color dog to adopt out would be?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 2:55 pm

You mean to tell me there's dog and cat discrimination by color? :(

I have one black missy kitty who I've spent big bucks on for her food and "fixing." Had I not found this adorable little thing lost without a home or momma, I wonder what would've happened to her had she been sent to an animal shelter.
Labrador or labrador mixes usually make great pets because of their not-so-agressive temperament. I'd get another one if I could if only I could afford it and fit it onto this small property. :(

Oh and I also have black Hemingways!! They're now living with my cousin b/c of the law that was passed as to how many pets you could only have per home.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2008, 3:37 pm

On a related note.... I've heard they don't allow people to adopt black cats near halloween at animal shelters.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2008, 10:57 pm

I have heard this too. My sister says it is because they are afraid people will torture and kill the cats. She said people supposedly do satanic or mock-satanic rituals with them. I will never understand how someone could hurt a life form this way. :( Humans must be the meanest of all animals.

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2008, 12:48 am

About the adopting black cats around Halloween the local shelter when I asked about this said they had no such policy although in our area there is a great surplus of black cats so they are happy to have anyone adopt them ,but another shelter nearby said they didn't allow near Halloween adoptions or were concerned about it because of people adopting cats for the seasonal holiday fashion not because they want a pet , they also have concerns about people adopting pets around the Christmas holiday as people give them as gifts without thinking about the responsibility.

I like black cats, my cat is black, the dog I had as a child was black, if I lived somewhere I could have a dog too I would get a black one , assuming it and I had a good fit of personality.