Doctor swears at woman who has been in labor 3 days

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 8:01 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... abour.html

Quote:
'****ing hell, why can't women give birth naturally?' - caesarean doctor's outburst at mother in labour

A doctor swore at a woman who had been in labour for three days after he was told she would need a caesarean to save the life of her child.

Assistant anaesthetist Nigel Baglin interrupted a discussion between Samantha Shepherd and her doctor by shouting at her: '******* hell, why can't women in this hospital give birth naturally?'

He was so enraged, the veins in his neck stood out during a tirade that left Mrs Shepherd in tears, a hearing was told on Wednesday.
Samantha

Samantha Shepherd, pictured with son Luke in April last year, said she was devastated after being sworn at during a difficult labour

But the independent panel sitting at the Health Professions Council rejected claims that Baglin's fitness to practise was impaired and cleared him of misconduct.

During the hearing, Baglin claimed outburst was an 'off-the-cuff comment' on the number of caesareans being carried out at Newham University Hospital, East London.

He said: 'I was aghast at the amount of caesarean sections that were going ahead.

'It was like every patient on the ward wanted one and had consented to them,' said Baglin, who now works in Derby.

'As a personal opinion, I did not think this was natural. It was a sarcastic comment aimed at the doctor and it was a mistake on my part. It won't happen again.'

Baglin, an agency practitioner who was providing surgery support, had stormed into the room and crashed his hospital trolley into a door. He admitted to the hearing he had acted in an inappropriate manner but blamed his anger on the fact he was 'being rushed around'.

Mrs Shepherd said she had been determined to give birth naturally to her third child in February last year, so the torrent of abuse from Baglin left her feeling a 'complete failure'.

She told the panel, sitting in Kennington, South London: 'I was really nervous about having the baby. I had two previous births naturally. Every woman has a plan and this labour was not going along as hoped.
Newham

Surgery assistant Nigel Baglin is no longer working at Newham University Hospital following his outburst at Mrs Shepherd

'The doctor was explaining that I needed to have a second epidural when he (Baglin) entered the room and banged the door with his trolley.'

A woman who saw Baglin's outburst said his comments were directed straight at Mrs Shepherd, adding: 'He was so angry you could see the veins in his neck.

'He wanted to be an exhibitionist and he wanted it to be heard.'

Mrs Shepherd said: 'It was loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

'He stormed out and everyone was in shock. I felt worthless and told my husband I was a complete failure.'

Within two hours of the incident, Mrs Shepherd's contractions had increased dramatically and she was finally able to give birth naturally to her son, Luke.

The couple complained to the Patient Advisory Liaison Services and the hospital's head of midwifery.

Baglin, who resigned from his post, said he had never received a complaint before in his 14-year career.

Mrs Shepherd said: 'He should be more considerate to women in that position.'

Up to a third of babies are delivered by caesarean section in Britain - twice the 15 per cent recommended by the World Health Organisation.

Mothers who have them are more likely to develop complications and spend twice as long in hospital as those having a natural delivery.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 9:17 am

If a woman is in labour for three days, trying to give birth for three days, something is obviously wrong. Now I've seen the mom & baby in the picture, and the baby doesn't look like he'd obstruct the birth canal for a 72 hours before being born. He is no elephant baby. In fact he looks borderline preemie.

But I'm a man, so what I know?

finrod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2008, 9:52 am

slowmutant wrote:
If a woman is in labour for three days, trying to give birth for three days, something is obviously wrong. Now I've seen the mom & baby in the picture, and the baby doesn't look like he'd obstruct the birth canal for a 72 hours before being born. He is no elephant baby. In fact he looks borderline preemie.

You really think that baby can come out of a women when he's turned sideways 8O

I've seen a lot of women down there, and I've yet to see one thats half that big.

Are you sure you are doing it with the right species, sm?

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 10:04 am

slowmutant wrote:

Honestly, yes. What do you know?

It's not uncommon for women to labor for days. What they should have been doing, however, was figuring out WHY. It's likely that his position was an issue. Had they done a sonogram or had a competent person palpate (feel mother's abdomen for baby's position) they could have known that and hopefully lessened her labor.

Additionally, 3 days may not have been hard labor. Labor has multiple stages. She likely began mild contractions on day 1 and things gradually picked up to hard labor on day 3.

Not every woman experiences labor like that, but it does happen.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:45 am

*TMI alert*
I was in labor for 3 days. I had (have?) a metabolic condition of pregnancy which can cause stillbirth around 34-36 weeks (a normal pregnancy is 40 weeks) sometimes even if monitored closely so I had to deliver early. Instead of scheduling a C-section, doctors decided to use Pitocin to induce labor at 35 weeks and I was in labor for 72 hours of HARD labor and was dilated to 9.5 cm for 20 of those hours, after they broke my water...

I required 2 epidurals. I am sure I had more drugs in my system than a Rolling Stones entourage. In my case the baby didn't come out yet because the baby wasn't ready to come out, which might answer Slowmutant's question. All sorts of things can go wrong with mother nature.
They finally gave me a C-section anyway, after trying to avoid it for 3 days. I was doped up, confused and still in extreme pain. Had anyone tried to blame that situation on me ("she requested we try not to give her a C-section if possible", etc) , I would have probably had to be restrained so I didn't scratch someone's eyes out.

He is a doctor. He should have had more composure.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 11:46 am

Doctors, like mothers, are only human.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm

True, which is why I would not do something revenge-seeking, like file a lawsuit. But he should probably be expected, being in that position, to keep his temper. He was an anaesthetist, right? What, was he worried she would use up his supply?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 12:31 pm

I think he was frustrated with the extreme difficulty of the delivery. I would be too.

At least the mother agreed to go to a hospital instead of attempting a home birth.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I think he was frustrated with the extreme difficulty of the delivery. I would be too.

So was the mother, I'm sure.

Quote:
At least the mother agreed to go to a hospital instead of attempting a home birth.

Are you commenting on this specific case or homebirth in general?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

Homebirth is like representing yourself in court- it's permissable but inadvisable.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Homebirth is like representing yourself in court- it's permissable but inadvisable.

We're gonna disagree on this topic.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:00 pm

Is the homebirthing lobby also the homeschooling lobby?

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Is the homebirthing lobby also the homeschooling lobby?

What?

Just because I homebirth does not mean I home school.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm

I meant no offence to you personally. It's just that I do not believe either of these practises are wise decisions.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2008, 1:55 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I meant no offence to you personally. It's just that I do not believe either of these practises are wise decisions.

Ok. I wasn't sure where the conversation was going.

I have no prob w/ ppl home schooling, but I am not one who can handle that.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 3:12 pm

If I had gone to a midwife instead of a very astute doctor, or even went to a less astute doctor, my child would probably not be alive right now.

I am thankful for the medical care we received, and I am thankful for the school system also.

Those who home-birth and who home-school...they must be much stronger than I, and with greater resources. Financially, psychologically, maybe even morally. Some people just aren't teachers. I would hate to feel pressured to homeschool knowing I just don't have it in me.