Nine-year-old Midlands girl rescued from forced marriage

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... riage.html

Quote:
The disclosure comes as official figures show that nearly 60 children aged 15 or under have been rescued by the Government's Forced Marriage Unit in the past four years.

The cases are feared to be the tip of the iceberg. They will fuel concerns, first raised earlier this year, that large numbers of children are disappearing from British schools to be forced into wedlock overseas.

A charity which runs a national helpline on forced marriage and "honour"-based crimes, Karma Nirvana, revealed that in one incident a nine-year-old girl from a Pakistani family in the east Midlands was taken into council care after her parents told her she was to wed.

Jasvinder Sanghera, director of Karma Nirvana, said that on average four children a month aged under 16 have contacted its helpline since it launched in April.

"The youngest child we have dealt with was nine years old," she said. "The girl told her teacher she was going to be forced to marry someone and initially she was not believed.

"Ultimately, with the help of the Forced Marriage Unit, she was dealt with through child protection procedures. She was assessed and, thankfully, taken into foster care."

Ms Sanghera called on ministers to make sure primary school children are taught about forced marriage and given advice on how to avoid becoming a victim.

The Forced Marriage Unit has helped rescue 58 underage children since it was set up in January 2005, including 11 under-16s so far this year. The youngest victim this year was 13, one was 14 and nine were 15.

The unit deals with 5,000 inquiries and 300 cases of forced marriage a year. A third of inquiries come from under 18s.

The youngest victim repatriated by the unit, which is jointly funded by the Home Office and the Foreign Office, was an 11-year-old girl who was flown back to Britain from Dhaka, Bangladesh, last year after her parents had agreed to marry her to a local man.

Ms Sanghera, who herself fled home after being threatened with forced marriage at the age of 15, said: "I currently have cases involving four children aged 11 to 14 who were forced to marry or were at risk, and have now been made wards of court.

"You don't just get forced into a marriage at 16 or 17; this is happening to very young children. We certainly have had cases of minors being sexually abused.

"If you are forced into marriage as a minor you will be multiple-raped, because as a child you are legally unable to give consent.

"But we have no idea how many children under 16 are at risk, and this is compounded by a reluctance of schools to engage with the issue. Many schools shy away due to supposed cultural sensitivities."

She went on: "There will be children sitting in our classrooms this week who have already had identified for them a husband or a wife.

"These marriages can be prevented by identifying the signs in school or teachers believing pupils when they raise it."

The problem is particularly prevalent in Pakistani communities, where betrothing offspring to their first cousins is common practice, said Ms Sanghera.

"It happens across all races but there is a disproportionate number of cases within the Pakistani community, and we need to recognise that," she said.

"At Karma Nirvana we have noticed a significant trend of young people aged 14, 15 and 16 coming forward for our services.

"We need reassurance from schools, especially headteachers, that existing Department for Children, Schools and Families posters giving advice about forced marriage are displayed in primary and secondary schools.

"We also believe there should be proper headcounts of pupils after the summer holidays, so that steps can be taken if any children have disappeared from the register. I think what the schools discover will alarm them."

She estimated there could be a dozen cases a year in some medium-sized comprehensive schools with significant numbers of Asian children.

A nine-month study by Karma Nirvana in 2006 followed the fortunes of 15 girls aged 10 to 18 in Derby, where the charity is based. By the end of the study, four had been taken abroad including a 17-year-old who had subsequently returned to the UK after being wed to a 35-year-old man.

Earlier this year a report by the Commons' all-party Home Affairs Select Committee said 2,089 pupils were unaccounted for in just 14 local council areas of England and Wales. A proportion of these are believed to have been children removed from education and forced into marriages overseas.

This is such a large issue in Britain that the government has a forced marriage unit? That's sad. But on the whole I still believe Britain is better than America.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:09 pm

Wow, I never thoght of a nine year old as marriage material...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:23 pm

Eggman wrote:
If you did, that'd be really creepy.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:51 pm

Wow, this is the first positive thing I've read about Britain in a while. I'll have to dig up some more article about how they're turning into a police state and the dangers of not having a strong constitution to make up for it... :D

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 12:09 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
But on the whole I still believe Britain is better than America.

not given their Lolicon laws and surveillence state, etc :!: :!:

I can't believe no one talked about Men's rights! :P (yes that's a joke)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:39 am

Eggman wrote:

How old is the prospective groom? At least 13, I hope.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:31 am

Its good that they aren't trying to cover this up with a "cultural" blanket.
I expect people from the cultures responsible will cry racism; too bloody bad.
These people need to leave their old world values behind! Forget it, the old world is gone! Imagine if the descendents of the Vikings still raped and pillaged, as part of their "culture".
Child molestation is child molestation, no matter how you try to cover it up. Nine?!
Where's my gun...

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:26 am

8O 8O 8O 8O

Forced marriage is one of the most barbaric things about Islamic culture. Young people are not allowed to date in Islam in the way that Western teens are. Their spouse is chosen for them by family, and they are not given a choice in the matter. Even the "shotgun weddings" of 19th century America weren't this bad. Nine years old? These very young girls are being married to men in their 30s. Polygamy is allowed under Islam, but the Quranic limit of four wives per man is widely ignored, with 80 year old men being married to 12 year old girls as a 50th wife.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:40 am

An 80 year-old man cannot possibly have sex with all 50 of his wives. The flesh is weak, but spirit is also weak ...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 1:03 pm

In the Ramayana (an Indian epic), Rama wins Sita in an archery contest. (It's fixed, because only he (and she in some versions) can lift the bow of Shiva off the ground in the first place.) He's very young to get married, at 14. 20 would have been more normal, because boys have so much training to do before they can be men, especially when they're princes. She's 6, not too young at all. In those days, being unmarried at first menstruation made you an old maid. Younger girls are more mallable, easier to control. His three brothers marry three other girls in the same ceremony, and they all go back to his city to live in peace and harmony until the main part of the story kicks in. When Rama's father has the girls sit on his lap, he isn't being a pervert. They're really that young. (And small.)

But times have changed, folks! I guess some people are still catching up.

Has anyone here seen the movie Water, by Deepa Mehta? It features child brides becoming child widows, some of whom then get forced into prostitution. It's set in India in the 1930s.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 2:22 pm

Warsie wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:
But on the whole I still believe Britain is better than America.

not given their Lolicon laws and surveillence state, etc :!: :!:

I can't believe no one talked about Men's rights! :P (yes that's a joke)

Don't knock the surveillance state til youve tried it.

Also.. Britain has a good record with the more extreme.. traditions.. of marriage abroad. Indians for example tend not to immolate widows these days, a singularly unpleasant habit.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:32 am

Macbeth wrote:

it's coming to the USA and I see it...and I don't like local governments making money using those then lowering the speed limit by 5 mph....as they do with cameras on intersections. And cameras in "high risk" parts of Chicago then increasing to other places....SHOOT THE CAMERAS OUT

Quote:
Also.. Britain has a good record with the more extreme.. traditions.. of marriage abroad. Indians for example tend not to immolate widows these days, a singularly unpleasant habit.

Napier quote that was a thingly-veiled thread lol. I swore that was only a few tribes. Besides the UK, like many comquerers still fail in messing up their culture completely (IIRC napier said pederasty in central asia 'corrupted' his troops...HAHAHA). s**t, arranged marriage is still common in India and child marriage continued until the 1920s IIRC..

Ishmael wrote:
Imagine if the descendents of the Vikings still raped and pillaged, as part of their "culture".

they still do. It's called "Peacekeeping" or "NATO military actions". HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Child molestation is child molestation, no matter how you try to cover it up. Nine?! Where's my gun...

lol as your post count is 666 now.

Pezar wrote:
Their spouse is chosen for them by family, and they are not given a choice in the matter.

some parts of Christian America do the same

Quote:
Even the "shotgun weddings" of 19th century America weren't this bad. Nine years old? These very young girls are being married to men in their 30s.

IIRC the same happened during those "Shotgun" weddings!

slowmutant wrote:
An 80 year-old man cannot possibly have sex with all 50 of his wives. The flesh is weak, but spirit is also weak ...

master roshisays otherwise :P

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:34 am

Warsie wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

it's coming to the USA and I see it...and I don't like local governments making money using those then lowering the speed limit by 5 mph....as they do with cameras on intersections. And cameras in "high risk" parts of Chicago then increasing to other places....SHOOT THE CAMERAS OUT

Quote:

Napier quote that was a thingly-veiled thread lol. I swore that was only a few tribes. Besides the UK, like many comquerers still fail in messing up their culture completely (IIRC napier said pederasty in central asia 'corrupted' his troops...HAHAHA). sh**, arranged marriage is still common in India and child marriage continued until the 1920s IIRC..

I was referring to USING the cameras, not being observed, and I would like to make the distinction between surveillance cameras: those with variable field of vision, observing many things.. and speed cameras: fixed position, used entirely to check the speed of motorists. Speed cameras are a revenue generator, and little else. The former are infinitely helpful.

Also: the fact that some bad habits remain, does not lessen the removal of one of the worst. Arranged marriages, even child marriages.. are they anywhere near as bad as deliberately igniting a perfectly healthy human being just because her husband popped his clogs?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 9:12 am

Popped his clogs? Is that a euphemism for death?

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:34 am

pezar wrote:
8O 8O 8O 8O

Forced marriage is one of the most barbaric things about Islamic culture. Young people are not allowed to date in Islam in the way that Western teens are. Their spouse is chosen for them by family, and they are not given a choice in the matter. Even the "shotgun weddings" of 19th century America weren't this bad. Nine years old? These very young girls are being married to men in their 30s. Polygamy is allowed under Islam, but the Quranic limit of four wives per man is widely ignored, with 80 year old men being married to 12 year old girls as a 50th wife.

The saddest thing about this is forced marriage is against Islam. Sure parents can arrange a marriage, but it is the woman's choice if she wants to go through with it or not. Polygamny is also becoming less common, even though that is allowed in Islam.

Muslims who force their daughter into a marrage, especially when they are underage are breaking Islamic law, especially if it envolves honor killings.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:21 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Popped his clogs? Is that a euphemism for death?

Indeed it is. Popped his clogs, bought the farm, kicked the bucket. All death euphemisms.