sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:05 pm

Couric Queries Nominee on Social Issues

By Alec MacGillis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2008; Page A07

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin stood by her opposition to abortion even in cases of rape or incest and her skepticism that global warming is caused by human activity, but she stepped back from her past support for teaching creationism in the schools in last night's installment of her interviews with CBS's Katie Couric.

At several points in the interview, the Republican vice presidential nominee answered questions about her stances on social issues by offering her personal views, declining to describe how she would act as a matter of public policy.

Asked by Couric whether her opposition to abortion rights would extend even to a 15-year-old who had been raped by her father, Palin said she would "counsel that person to choose life despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in." On this point, Palin differs with Sen. John McCain, the GOP presidential nominee.

Asked about the morning-after pill, Palin appeared to argue that it is wrong because it takes effect after conception, while not stating that it should be banned as a matter of policy. "Well, I am all for contraception. And I am all for preventative measures that are legal and safe, and should be taken. But Katie, again, I am one to believe that life starts at the moment of conception," Palin said. She added that that "isn't a McCain-Palin policy."

And asked about reports that one of the churches she attends has encouraged gays to become straight, Palin referred again to her own life. "I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my 'gay friend,' she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made."

Palin reiterated, with an unintentional word reversal, her position that global warming is not necessarily being caused by carbon dioxide emissions, as most scientists believe. "I'm not going to solely blame all of man's activities on changes in climate. Because the world's weather patterns are cyclical. And over history we have seen change there. But kind of doesn't matter at this point, as we debate what caused it. The point is, it's real, we need to do something about it."

Palin proposed teaching creationism alongside evolution during her campaign for governor but has not pressed the issue while in office, a position she seemed to adhere to in the interview. Evolution "should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth," she said. "But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught in science class."

Asked what newspapers and magazines she reads, Palin said, "I've read most of them." Pressed by Couric for examples, Palin declined. "Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years," she said. Again asked to name a few, Palin said, "I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America."

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:56 am

sinsboldly wrote:

By Alec MacGillis
Wednesday, October 1, 2008; Page A07 ..... And asked about reports that one of the churches she attends ....

she goes to more than one church? 8O Wow. That would be obsessive or something :?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 4:20 am

Just got some more reasons why this woman scares me to death.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:38 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

By Alec MacGillis
Wednesday, October 1, 2008; Page A07 ..... And asked about reports that one of the churches she attends ....

she goes to more than one church? 8O Wow. That would be obsessive or something :?

Not at the same time :) - She was a member of one church, and now alternates between two churches.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 9:24 am

Hmmm, for someone who has read "all" the newspapers and magazines out there, she certainly hasn't retained anything she may have learned!

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:42 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Asked by Couric whether her opposition to abortion rights would extend even to a 15-year-old who had been raped by her father, Palin said she would "counsel that person to choose life despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in." On this point, Palin differs with Sen. John McCain, the GOP presidential nominee.

Palin is a sick woman! I bet she would think differently if something this horrible happend to her.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 11:29 am

Quote:

By Alec MacGillis

Yea I've read or seen these talking points in the media hundreds of times already. Yet how many times has it been addressed that Obama's running mate Joe Biden is a habitual plagiarist? He was caught red handed plagiarizing in college and then he had to drop out of the presidential race in 1988 because he word by word plagiarized a speech from a British politician. Yet, you hear nothing about this. Also in 1988 he told a reporter he had a higher IQ than him before he lied about his "achievements" in college. I'd rather have someone as the VP who's political views are strong (you may find immoral) than a bold face liar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1j0FS0Z6ho

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:01 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

By Alec MacGillis

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin stood by her opposition to abortion even in cases of rape or incest and her skepticism that global warming is caused by human activity, but she stepped back from her past support for teaching creationism in the schools in last night's installment of her interviews with CBS's Katie Couric.

At several points in the interview, the Republican vice presidential nominee answered questions about her stances on social issues by offering her personal views, declining to describe how she would act as a matter of public policy.

Asked about the morning-after pill, Palin appeared to argue that it is wrong because it takes effect after conception, while not stating that it should be banned as a matter of policy. "Well, I am all for contraception. And I am all for preventative measures that are legal and safe, and should be taken. But Katie, again, I am one to believe that life starts at the moment of conception," Palin said. She added that that "isn't a McCain-Palin policy."

And asked about reports that one of the churches she attends has encouraged gays to become straight, Palin referred again to her own life. "I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my 'gay friend,' she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made."

Palin reiterated, with an unintentional word reversal, her position that global warming is not necessarily being caused by carbon dioxide emissions, as most scientists believe. "I'm not going to solely blame all of man's activities on changes in climate. Because the world's weather patterns are cyclical. And over history we have seen change there. But kind of doesn't matter at this point, as we debate what caused it. The point is, it's real, we need to do something about it."

Palin proposed teaching creationism alongside evolution during her campaign for governor but has not pressed the issue while in office, a position she seemed to adhere to in the interview. Evolution "should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth," she said. "But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught in science class."

Asked what newspapers and magazines she reads, Palin said, "I've read most of them." Pressed by Couric for examples, Palin declined. "Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years," she said. Again asked to name a few, Palin said, "I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America."

I...

Err....

She...

Uh...

Wow.

Words fail me, so...

*face palm*

-Walt Whitman

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:38 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
Quote:

By Alec MacGillis

Yea I've read or seen these talking points in the media hundreds of times already. Yet how many times has it been addressed that Obama's running mate Joe Biden is a habitual plagiarist? He was caught red handed plagiarizing in college and then he had to drop out of the presidential race in 1988 because he word by word plagiarized a speech from a British politician. Yet, you hear nothing about this. Also in 1988 he told a reporter he had a higher IQ than him before he lied about his "achievements" in college. I'd rather have someone as the VP who's political views are strong (you may find immoral) than a bold face liar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1j0FS0Z6ho

Except for when Palin lied about supporting the Bridge to Nowhere, right? That one's ok, because she didn't actually build the bridge after all. She just took the money and used it for something else in Alaska. And built the road that leads up to the non-existant bridge.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 2:38 pm

Quote:
I...

Err....

She...

Uh...

Wow.

Words fail me, so...

*face palm*

Says the person with Asperger Syndrome.

It really irks me that people are so critical regarding HOW people say things and not what they DO. Look at a person's record and not how they form words or if they get a loss for words. It is ridiculous. I don't want a slick politician who is just good at speaking in public. You'd think if anybody would be able to understand human flaws especially when it comes to the public, it would be someone with AS.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:30 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
Quote:
I...

Err....

She...

Uh...

Wow.

Words fail me, so...

*face palm*

Says the person with Asperger Syndrome.

It really irks me that people are so critical regarding HOW people say things and not what they DO. Look at a person's record and not how they form words or if they get a loss for words. It is ridiculous. I don't want a slick politician who is just good at speaking in public. You'd think if anybody would be able to understand human flaws especially when it comes to the public, it would be someone with AS.

You would have us NOT take into account what a public official says about their views and stances, because they may mis-speak? How many times does she have to "mis-speak" the same stance/view with the same words before I should consider that part of her "track record".

I understand looking at policies that have been implemented, how they have voted on certain issues, past experience, all of those things, but what a politician says does matter. Also, again, if they say something consistently, I consider that part of a "track record" as well.

So... Maybe your right and she's just not a great public speaker. She gets rattled, or just mixed up or whatever. Then she should probably consider a different career. There are times when one is speaking badly, but how many times does she have to do that consistently before one starts to wonder if she's about as smart as an empty basket. I would call that a track record too.

This woman makes gaffe after gaffe. For example, she publicly offered a view on Pakistan that almost mirrored Obamas, that was in direct opposition to her running mates. Words matter. In a public official in such a high profile position they matter alot.

-Walt Whitman

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Except for when Palin lied about supporting the Bridge to Nowhere, right? That one's ok, because she didn't actually build the bridge after all. She just took the money and used it for something else in Alaska. And built the road that leads up to the non-existant bridge.

What does this have to do with Joe Biden? One is as bad as the other. All politicians are crooks and liars. So why are you sticking up for one party over the other? I think we would all agree that "the bridge to nowhere" game Palin played is nothing compared to someone ripping off a whole speech (word by word) from someone.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 5:42 pm

CentralFLM, you offer two examples of Biden supposedly committing perjury (in the second case, at least, when called on it, he noted that he had frequently quoted from the same person before and had simply forgotten to attribute it on this one occasion - a statement backed by the person he had quoted), and claim this is exactly equal to:

- Claiming to have been opposed to the "Bridge to Nowhere", when in fact she had supported the project right up until the Alaskan legislature redirected the last of the funds to other projects;

- Claiming to be opposed to special "earmark" funding in legislation, less than six months after thanking Sen. Stevens for his success in providing exactly such earmarks to Alaska;

- Stating that abortion should not be a possibility, even in the (admittedly hypothetical) case of incestuous rape of a child;

- Calling the Iraq conflict "God's work";

- and the hits just keep on coming...

These are equivalent offenses? How far backward, exactly, are you willing to bend in order to excuse the crap the Republican party has been foisting on this country since Newt Gingrich's Contract On America?

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 6:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZpp9QJRME&feature=related[/youtube]

Yeah, words matter.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Yet how many times has it been addressed that Obama's running mate Joe Biden is a habitual plagiarist? He was caught red handed plagiarizing in college and then he had to drop out of the presidential race in 1988 because he word by word plagiarized a speech from a British politician.

Plagarism? Or delayed echolalia....? :P

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 7:54 pm

steelback wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZpp9QJRME&feature=related[/youtube]

Yeah, words matter.

Fair enough.

I don't have the inclination to rooting around on you tube for every foot in mouth moment Palin or McCain has indulged in. It would probably come out about the same. But I'm not sure.

So... Vote for no one? I don't agree with her stance on abortion, (or McCains for that matter), to my mind Palin's is bordering on criminal.

There is a difference (in my mind at least) between minding your verbal P's and Q's in a less formal setting, and sitting down to a formal interview with a well known newswoman and babbling nonsense and extremist rhetoric.

At least in terms of judging self control and possible intelligence.

-Walt Whitman