Behavioral screening -- the future of airport security?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 9:53 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/02/airp ... index.html

CNN wrote:
One firm, WeCU (pronounced "We See You") Technologies, employs a combination of infra-red technology, remote sensors and imagers, and flashing of subliminal images, such as a photo of Osama bin Laden. Developers say the combination of these technologies can detect a person's reaction to certain stimuli by reading body temperature, heart rate and respiration, signals a terrorist unwittingly emits before he plans to commit an attack.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 9:57 pm

hmmm...unless you're afraid of flying, a look of annoyed boredom is probably your best bet.

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2008, 10:50 pm

And then there's this :(

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-09-25-behavior-detection_N.htm
Automated systems for certain behavioural-checks are being (and have been) developed already.

Gonna be fun next time at the airport. When I'm annoyed, my way of walking shows that. When I'm upset it shows.
And ofcourse, I'm always anxious when waiting in lines where there's no personal space.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm

This sounds really great for spectrum people, as well as anxiety and other disorders... 8O

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:20 pm

Quote:
and flashing of subliminal images

I do most clearly recall that bringing up this topic (the use of subliminal messages) during the election was dismissed as utter nonsense, because everyone knows they don't work and that it's illegal to do and it's a "conspiracy theory".

ROFLMAO!! !

Has anyone changed their minds now that it has been broadcasted on CNN? :scratch:

WeCU (pronounced "We See You") LOL!

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2008, 11:29 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Quote:
and flashing of subliminal images

I do most clearly recall that bringing up this topic (the use of subliminal messages) during the election was dismissed as utter nonsense, because everyone knows they don't work and that it's illegal to do and it's a "conspiracy theory".

We're not supposed to have spontaneous empathic reactions right? (Ok, I'm not really sure about that one)

Who knows if the rational/logical brains picks up on it and processes it the same as NT or if we have a delayed reaction causing a "positivive" hit on a supposedly subliminal image that gets shown 0.5 seconds later.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:32 am

To me they are not subliminal at all; they are more obvious than other things especially whatever a commercial is trying to sell, and if I catch one on a video recording then I back it up by frames and show it to other people.

I think if I saw a subliminal Bin Laden then I might interpret it as a signal to terrorists that that plane is the one that they are supposed to blow up, and I wouldn't want to get on it!

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:02 am

This reminds me a little of the film "Minority Report" (directed by Spielberg).

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 10:21 am

But what is the reaction to an image of Osama Bin Laden supposed to indicate?

A relative or friend of someone who died on 9/11 might react angrily or with fear or be upset.

A journalist like me might react more calmly by thinking, ooh, I wonder what he's been saying now, wonder if our news channel were sent his tapes, or whether they were broadcast over the internet, wonder whether he has made any admissions or threats, or whether he's just ranting on about infidels more generally... wonder whether he is still in some cave in the Afghan-Pakistani border region, wonder if it's an old video and maybe he's actually dead because he was supposed to be undergoing kidney dialysis... don't think the US actually want to capture him, because they wouldn't want all the stuff about the business connections between his family and the Bush family being publicised even further.

I'd probably just go into some stream of consciousness of thoughts like that, I wouldn't necessarily react in the same way as someone who's been fired up by all the 'war on terror' propaganda bollocks.

10 Dec 2008, 2:22 pm

theQuail wrote:
This sounds really great for spectrum people, as well as anxiety and other disorders... 8O

And diabetics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 2:57 pm

bahh, sounds like another reason to stock up on the Valium and Xanax when flying. What do you think the computer makes of vacant eyed disinterest?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:57 pm

I think that'll backfire....and what if you are going to see someone you really like, and your heart is all beating fast because you can't wait to be there with them???

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 8:02 pm

Quote:
What do you think the computer makes of vacant eyed disinterest?

It depends.
Would this expression differ and stand out from everyone else's?
Is there a rule that says terrorists don't get 70 virgins if they die on drugs?