Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 7:36 am

http://news.aol.com/article/new-species ... lta/279707

my Favorite is the white and brown frog, the green pit viper, and the Annamite striped rabbit, (my name for it trippy bunny rabbit) :D :D

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 10:11 am

i'm not sure how the Atelopus frog is at camoflage but it still looks awesome 8)

this find proves that we need to stop destroying so much of the environment as we do now, one of these plants/creatures could produce any number of hormones/chemicals that could help cure any number of conditions or illnesses.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:47 pm

That bat they found could send Ozzy Osbourne running in fear.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:35 pm

I love the giant rat. So cute.

The snake that can change its color is remarkable. I have never heard of a snake species that can do this, although some have shiny colors that appear to change under different lighting conditions.

There are many types of lizards in which this is a common trait (no, not just chameleons, but also anoles, some geckos, etc.). Snakes and lizards are both classified as squamates, along with amphisbaens. And snakes are thought to have evolved from lizards in the monitor family (not sure if any of these species can change color).

I wonder if the snake species evolved the trait independently or if it points to a closer link between snakes and lizards, perhaps genetically or in terms of the evolutionary time-line.

Just brain-storming here.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:38 pm

I want a rock rat for a pet! :P So adorable.

Or a pygmy possum.

Anyway, I wonder how neil young feels to have a spider named after him. I'd appreciate the idea but think to myself "Uhhh.... couldn't you guys have named a cute/badass animal after me?" I mean, why not the snake or the rabbit?