Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 12:01 pm

I found this on an interweb search-

Paula Froelich of the New York Times wrote:
June 1, 2007 -- JOHN Travolta, 53, and his wife, Kelly Preston, 44, just announced they want to try for their third child - even while they fall under increasing pressure to publicly acknowledge the disability of their son, Jett.

Travolta has either pretended there is nothing wrong with Jett, 15, or claimed his condition is Kawasaki syndrome, a disease characterized by high fever, skin rash and swelling of the lymph nodes.

But parents of autistic children say that Travolta should join Sylvester Stallone, Doug Flutie, Jenny McCarthy and Toni Braxton, who all have autistic kids, in raising awareness and research funds to cure the disease.

One magazine editor who has interviewed Travolta more than once says that the star's son is disabled - and yet he continues to behave as if nothing is wrong.

"Travolta sits there in interviews talking about how Jett loves to read or play sports, but it is clear that the boy can barely do either," the editor said.

Tim Kenny, the father of a 4-year-old autistic girl from Ocala, Fla., near the Travolta estate, told Mark Ebner of HollywoodInterrupted.com that he introduced the actor in February at a restaurant he manages "as one autistic child's father to another" but that Travolta was in denial.

"Scientology is keeping him from acknowledging his son's autism. They see it as a weakness," Kenny told Ebner.

According to the Church of Scientology, people with mental illnesses are "degraded" and capable of curing themselves by working harder on the church's teachings.

"It's fine with me if Travolta doesn't want to become the poster child for autistic parents, but every time the parent of an autistic child hears about someone else who is in this fight, it makes them feel better," said the editor who interviewed him.

"He could do so much good for autism awareness if he would just come forward."

Travolta's lawyer, Marty Singer, told Page Six: "The Travoltas are wonderful, loving parents, and their priority is their children. They have [taken] and they continue to take the best possible care of their children. To suggest anything to the contrary is very hurtful to a loving family and also would be false and defamatory."

It seems to me that the Travoltas- weird Scientology and untimely death aside- treatment of their son as just another variation of normal is a good thing! Don't we all strive for acceptance for our selves? Yes, seizures should be treated with medications. But autism in and of itself is not an illness.

Last edited by riverotter on 03 Jan 2009, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 12:05 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:
Even if he wasn't, he died because he had epilepsy and wasn't taking his medication. Yet another death that can be attributed to Scientology.

shouldn't they be in trouble for not giving their son the medication??

They didn't give him the medication because it was against their beliefs as Scientologists.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 1:29 pm

Poor Jett, but it serves John right for believeing in the Scientology nonsense.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Delirium wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
Quote:
Even if he wasn't, he died because he had epilepsy and wasn't taking his medication. Yet another death that can be attributed to Scientology.

shouldn't they be in trouble for not giving their son the medication??

They didn't give him the medication because it was against their beliefs as Scientologists.

Seems like that should be considered neglect, especially considering he was home by himself.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 4:46 pm

blue_bean wrote:
That was Joey Travolta

Ah, thanks. My mistake.

Ah_Q wrote:
RainSong wrote:
Really, it's a shame that everyone rushes up to judging. The family would know him best, and being part of a religion doesn't mean you have to follow every word of it, especially about medication.

A young man is dead and it is right for people to ask what role Scientology practices may have had in his death. Scientology is a cult with a history unusual deaths and by most accounts is massively oppressive.

People are not asking. They are judging without facts. There haven't been any reports that he was or was not on medication, so to immediately blame his death on that is wrong.

Three years!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 4:50 pm

Yes, we just don't know and probably won't ever know. I do have a friend who has seizures DESPITE her medication and attention to her environment. So, blaming a boy's death on presumed lack of medical intervention is just mean and petty.
Yeah, I find the death suspicious but not enough to actually say that it "serves John right". yikes.

Relyt22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jan 2009, 12:41 am

You can pretty much guarantee that he had a problem that gave him seizures, and it was not being medicated. Even if a Scientologist wants to take medication or give medication to their children, they will be threatened with shunning from the organization (that is, if they can't handle him through auditing and such), and many times, even blackmailed. So, they will either deny medicating him based on their beliefs, or face the consequences.

A Scientologist's greatest fear is being declared a "suppressive person". Even though their original definition of such may differ from the organization's, they will feel bad about themselves if declared and SP, and feel like they deserve it. If John were to give helpful drugs to his child, he may be declared a "suppressive person", in which his wife will be forced to disconnect from him and take the child with her.

Am I still lacking "facts", or what?

lawlesslady
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2009, 1:17 am

buryuntime wrote:
Seems like that should be considered neglect, especially considering he was home by himself.

He wasn't home alone. He was in the Bahamas with his family, and apparently attended 24/7 (which should tell you something right there) by two nannies who accompanied the family.

LL

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2009, 1:43 am

people can just die from seizures, sudden unexplained death is what they call it, and the falls can be nasty from even normal seizures , You can be on meds and still have them I still have breakthrough seizures, despite my meds, and currently have a big lump on the side of my head from the last fall. I am personally against the concept of Scientology but it is still sad for the parents to lose a son.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:49 am

My uncle dropped dead at 47 or so. His heart just stopped. No history. It happens.

A brother of my friend was a football player. He died too (around age 17?) or was it 22? but he had an unknown heart problem despite his great health and active life. It happens.

Relyt22

04 Jan 2009, 2:28 pm

Okay, so TMZ has reported that Jett was on a drug that "lost effectiveness over time", according to his parents. So, when the seizures continued, they stopped giving him the drug. But instead of researching into other possible treatments, they just let it be, assuming that the tech would not fail them. But hey, he died. Now what are they going to say, that the psychs killed him for profit?

I guess they must not have given him a proper "silent birth", and passed on too many thetans, which according to Scientology, they would have "pulled this in".

F*** Scientology.

Relyt22

04 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Then again, they kind of DID pull this in by giving up on his treatment.

Relyt22

04 Jan 2009, 2:47 pm

Here's an old article from 2006 about Jett's autism and how it was ignored: http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/arc ... eart.phtml

And another one from a year later: http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/arc ... ment.phtml (This is the one with the interview with John's neighbor, who also has an autistic son)

Quote:
The Kennys also claim that Kelly and John "let Jett sit in front of video games all day eating junk food, while they eat the best organic food money can buy. They exclude Jett from all social events because they are embarrassed."

"Once," reports Kenny, "when Kelly took him to the movies, Jett started to have a meltdown and Kelly pointed at the nanny and ordered, 'Take care of it.'"

"Jett does not speak at all," confirms Kenny. "He has not even been taught how to communicate. We struggle every week to pay for our daughter's therapy. How dare he [Travolta] ruin his own son's chances of recovering! We want to get the word out on this."

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:10 pm

:? :? Ummm, excuse me, anyone else see something worrying here? QUOTE

John Travolta’s teenage son, Jett, died in the Bahamas after apparently suffering a seizure and hitting his head at his family’s vacation home, authorities said Friday. A house caretaker found Jett, 16, unconscious in a bathroom late Friday morning . He was taken by ambulance to a Freeport hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Police Superintendent Basil Rahming said in a statement.

The teenager had last been seen entering the bathroom on Thursday and had a history of seizures, according to the statement. An autopsy is planned. [...]

AND NO ONE THOUGHT TO ASK IF HE WAS OK??? 18 - 24HRS IN A BATHROOM??? 8O 8O

http://glosslip.com/2009/01/02/jett-tra ... n-bahamas/

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 4:33 pm

I trust CNN over a site called "Gosslip". CNN says he had the seizure at 10am in the morning, not the previous night.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 4:46 pm

FOX are reporting possible discrepancies still 8O
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,475724,00.html

Conflicting reports have emerged over the timeline of events leading up to the death of actor John Travolta’s 16-year-old son Jett.

Police forces in the Bahamas say that Jett was left unattended for more than 10 hours — a claim which the Travolta camp is vehemently denying — according to TMZ.com.

Jett, who suffered from seizures due to Kawasaki Syndrome, reportedly fell in his hotel bathroom and hit his head sometime between Jan. 1 and 2 while on vacation with his family.

Though the cause of death has yet to be determined, it is widely suspected that the head trauma suffered in the fall killed him.

Jett, his family, and two nannies took a boating trip before returning to the hotel around 6 p.m. on Jan. 1. After the outing, Jett reportedly went to his bedroom to sleep. Police said that he was last seen at around 11:30 p.m. on the night of Jan. 1.

His body was later discovered by the caretaker, Jeff Michael Kathrein, at 10 a.m. on Jan. 2.

According to Michael McDermott, John Travolta’s lawyer and close friend, Jett often slept for 12 — sometimes 16 — hours a day. McDermott said Jett's absence from the family's activity was therefore not unusual, TMZ reported.

RelatedStories
John Travolta's 16-Year Old Son Dies McDermott also said that a nanny or caretaker may have entered the bathroom during the middle of the night, possibly making the time frame even smaller.

The Travolta camp has claimed that few minutes passed between the time Jett hit his head and the time of his death, according to TMZ. McDermott also said that there were attempts to revive Jett at the scene.

"With lots of emotion that goes through a family in a time like this, it's understandable to come to your own ideas or terms, but we have an obligation to assure and convey with our public that the information we give is solid. The investigation is ongoing, but we stand by what we have said," police in the Bahamas told TMZ on Sunday.

There have also been several reports that suggest Travolta, a scientologist, refused to give his son anti-seizure medication.

But Travolta reportedly gave his son Depakote — an anti-seizure medication — for years, TMZ reported. The family eventually stopped administering the drug after it lost its effectiveness, cause Jett “serious physical damage,” McDermott told TMZ.

The grand mal seizures from which Jett suffered were as frequent as once every four days and were considered “extremely serious.”

Travolta, 54, and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, 46, also have an 8-year-old daughter, Ella Bleu. The family had arrived in the Bahamas on a private plane Tuesday and was vacationing at their home in the Old Bahama Bay resort community.

Travolta, who gained fame as Vinnie Barbarino on the 1970s television show "Welcome Back, Kotter" and the 1977 film "Saturday Night Fever," went on to become one of Hollywood's biggest names. He married Preston in 1991.

A television actress, Preston appeared with Travolta in the 2000 film "Battlefield Earth," based on a novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

In a statement posted on Preston's Web site, the family thanked fans and friends for sending their love and condolences.

Calling Jett "the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for," Preston and Travolta said they were "heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time we had with him for the rest of our lives."