Pa. pet groomer charged with piercing kittens

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:07 am

Pa. pet groomer charged with piercing kittens

Quote:
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – A woman who marketed "gothic kittens" with ear, neck and tail piercings over the Internet has been charged with animal cruelty and conspiracy.

Dog groomer Holly Crawford, 34, was charged Tuesday by humane officers. Her home outside Wilkes-Barre was raided Dec. 17 after the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Luzerne County received a tip from PETA that she was marketing the animals online for hundreds of dollars.

Crawford has said she will plead innocent.

Crawford told The Associated Press on Thursday that she didn't see any difference between piercing a cat and piercing a human. She said she used sterile needles and surgical soap and that she checked the kittens several times a day to make sure they were healing properly.

"When I did it, it wasn't with any cruel intentions," said Crawford, of rural Ross Township. "They were definitely loved, well-fed, no fleas, clipped nails. And they were happy."

Daphna Nachminovitch, a vice president for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, called the piercings "barbaric."

"There's no excuse for inflicting such pain on an animal that's the size of your palm," she said.

SPCA Officer Carol Morrison said the kittens had 14-gauge piercings through their ears and submission rings at the napes of their necks. One kitten's tail was docked.

Crawford, who sports her own body piercings, said she decided on a whim to pierce the ears and neck of a stray kitten she took in last fall and named Snarley Monster. She said she docked the cat's tail because it was badly damaged and that the animal was not intended for sale.

Morrison charged Crawford and William Blansett, 37, of Sweet Valley, each with three misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty, three summary counts of cruelty and three counts of conspiracy.

Crawford said Blansett helped take calls about the kittens but that he had nothing to do with the piercings.

A number for Blansett could not be located.

Crawford said her dog-grooming business, Pawside Parlor, has plummeted since the raid and that she has received dozens of nasty phone calls.

"My name's ruined, my reputation's ruined, my business is ruined," she said

Moral of the story: A pierced p**** is more trouble than it's worth.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:15 am

why pierce a kitty anyhow?

icky.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:23 am

the difference between piercing a human ear and a cat's ear is that humans have a choice... you could say the same about any sort of action with an animal and also say we eat animals so what's diferent about eating a human?

due to PETA stepping in i'd say let the woman go, PETA cause more problems than this woman anyway.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:15 pm

Personally I don't think it's a huge deal. It's not like she was intending the kittens harm, and she obviously was taking care of their needs in other ways.

What I think is really weird is that piercing kittens would be illegal, but it's perfectly legal (and socially acceptable) to pierce babies' ears, and also do other body modifications such as circumcision without the child being old enough to consent. Seems silly they would give more rights to a kitten than a baby in this respect.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:35 pm

Mage wrote:

What I think is really weird is that piercing kittens would be illegal, but it's perfectly legal (and socially acceptable) to pierce babies' ears, and also do other body modifications such as circumcision without the child being old enough to consent. Seems silly they would give more rights to a kitten than a baby in this respect.

now that is something people should consider.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:55 pm

Another PETA victory topic

Piercing episode triggers anger

Has this group nothing to say about declawing, tattooing, docked tails and ears?

I could never see the point of the unnecessary mutilation of babies' ears or genitals. Perhaps we need PETH: People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

t0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:16 pm

Is this really any different than scientists that pierce wild animals with tags or tracking devices? Or cattle ranchers that tag their livestocks' ears rather than brand them?

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2009, 2:33 pm

sartresue wrote:
Another PETA victory topic

Piercing episode triggers anger

Has this group nothing to say about declawing, tattooing, docked tails and ears?

I could never see the point of the unnecessary mutilation of babies' ears or genitals. Perhaps we need PETH: People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans.

They (peta) probably don't approve of any of those particular practices. As far as "unnecessary mutilation of babies'...genitals" male circumcision has actuall proven to be a bit of a life saver because there is no forskin to rap any vaginal fluids.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:03 pm

Hmm, considering all the much more severe modifications that go on in the dog world, such as cropping ears and docking tails, that this seems pretty arbitrary. I'd hope that a good defense attorney might counter-sue for damages, since it seems like this woman has suffered financially because of this over-application of the law.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:19 pm

jrknothead wrote:
Moral of the story: A pierced p**** is more trouble than it's worth.

zing!

Upon first reading the article it did seem a tad barbaric, but mage, t0, and dox47 make good points. There's a definite double standard here, and it seems like they're making a bigger deal out of this then necessary.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:54 pm

t0 wrote:
Is this really any different than scientists that pierce wild animals with tags or tracking devices? Or cattle ranchers that tag their livestocks' ears rather than brand them?

ahh, but PETA state that animals shouldn't be kept as cattle and animals should never be experimented on... i'm guessing this article wouldn't have made it to the news if it weren't for PETA having a say...

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

i've just found some more of PETA's irony:

PETA: animal murder

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 6:33 pm

I honestly don't think that this is all that bad.
Send in someone with animal-tongue and see if the animals don't like it.

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2009, 7:43 pm

Mage wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I don't see how it's any less cruel to pierce a baby's ear before they are old enough to give consent.

Stupid double standards.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

cat doesn't taste good. :(

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 4:40 pm

m91 wrote:
Mage wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I don't see how it's any less cruel to pierce a baby's ear before they are old enough to give consent.

Stupid double standards.

I seriously want to stab parents who pierce their babies' ears. Jerks.

But this is one of those weird times when I actually agree with PETA. This woman makes me sick. Someone should poke a few holes in her.