California octuplets case dismays fertility experts

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

12 Feb 2009, 12:12 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
What's done is done. You're not really the compassionate type, anyway. Just stick to the facts & figures.


True it's already done, but we now know that she had these kids with the intention of depending on public donations? If you can't care for a child yourself, don't have them! Love doesn't feed, clothe, and shelter people.

If people like her pull stunts like this for their own selfish needs and then create a sob story to get attention and money, then more and more people will begin to depend on charity rather then doing real work.

Charity is for people 'really' need it, not for those who do what they want and expect a reward.


You make a lot of valid points, chibi.

This is one of those situations that call for the wisdom of King Solomon.



ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,983
Location: California

12 Feb 2009, 12:17 pm

dustsceawung wrote:
Mage wrote:
dustsceawung wrote:
Yes, she is an aspie


No, she's not. From the TV interviews there were no obvious signs she was anywhere on the autism spectrum. She had no obvious language difficulties, no repetitive speech patterns, no obvious social discomfort, no physical repitition, no other diagnositic criteria. Why would you even match up "aspie" with this batshit insane woman?


Hmmm. I have Asperger's. It runs like a wildfire down both sides of my family tree. Yet I have a Ph.D. in English, and would also be able to pull off an interview if I had worked myself up and swallowed half a Xanax. I think I could also keep from wringing my hands and fidgeting for a half-hour if there was a pressing need. So I don't buy your reasoning. She has three children on the spectrum and an obvious case of OCD. That's enough for me. I though this forum would be an interesting place to follow the case BECAUSE of the connection to the spectrum. Instead I found the same kind of judgmental nonsense that I've seen on Perez Hilton. And batshit insane? People have been lobbing insults like that at people on the spectrum from time immemorial--how do you like your glass house?
How can you just off and say she's an Aspie with no proof. She seems to be a mentally ill woman. Have you even seen or read an interview from her? You can't just off and say that without seeing her behavior. I don't care what Ph.D you have.



Last edited by ShadesOfMe on 12 Feb 2009, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,485
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

12 Feb 2009, 12:27 pm

slowmutant wrote:
You make a lot of valid points, chibi.

This is one of those situations that call for the wisdom of King Solomon.


I am sure King Solomon seen a lot of kids in his day, but I can only wonder what he would do in this kind of situation in this day and age.


_________________
Humans are intelligent, but that doesn't make them smart.


dustsceawung
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 5

12 Feb 2009, 12:54 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
dustsceawung wrote:
Mage wrote:
dustsceawung wrote:
Yes, she is an aspie


No, she's not. From the TV interviews there were no obvious signs she was anywhere on the autism spectrum. She had no obvious language difficulties, no repetitive speech patterns, no obvious social discomfort, no physical repitition, no other diagnositic criteria. Why would you even match up "aspie" with this batshit insane woman?


Hmmm. I have Asperger's. It runs like a wildfire down both sides of my family tree. Yet I have a Ph.D. in English, and would also be able to pull off an interview if I had worked myself up and swallowed half a Xanax. I think I could also keep from wringing my hands and fidgeting for a half-hour if there was a pressing need. So I don't buy your reasoning. She has three children on the spectrum and an obvious case of OCD. That's enough for me. I though this forum would be an interesting place to follow the case BECAUSE of the connection to the spectrum. Instead I found the same kind of judgmental nonsense that I've seen on Perez Hilton. And batshit insane? People have been lobbing insults like that at people on the spectrum from time immemorial--how do you like your glass house?
How can you just off and say she's an Aspie with no proof. She seems to be a mentally ill woman. Have you even seen or read an interview from her? You can't just off and say that without seeing her behavior. I don't care what Ph.D you have.


I'm no clinician, but by now I think I can spot the signs. There is a fine line between existing on the spectrum and mental illness. Somehow I thought people here might be more interested on analyzing the situation rather than lobbing insults. That was an invalid assumption. I mentioned my degree as a way of demonstrating that people on the spectrum can be quite adept at handling the English language, not as a way of demonstrating my credentials for giving her a diagnosis. I'm sorry if that was unclear. Her interview aired on Dateline and is probably available online.



Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 823

13 Feb 2009, 4:14 am

dustsceawung wrote:

The death threats are real--check the Reuters newswire from yesterday (I can't post a link yet)--and they come from people who think it is their business to judge others. People like you. Angelina Jolie has three biological children and plans to have more. However, the gist of your argument is that children are a commodity and should be reserved for the wealthy. What Nadya Suleman did was dangerous, but based on her medical history, this is the sixth time she has been implanted with six embryos and the other five times it resulted in singletons or twins. There is no hint that she has ever been arrested for going to the bar while her children slept next to a space heater, beating them, burning them with crack-pipes, or any other kind of neglect or abuse. Rather, she is a good mother who loves her children...only she wants many more of them than most people would. Last I checked, there wasn't an epidemic of higher-order multiples in the US. As for your tax dollars, the epidemic of American consumerism and selfishness has done for more damage to the moral fiber of this country, the environment, and or international relations than anything else. I don't mind doing my part to help others who are less fortunate. So I'll help Nadya Suleman with my tax dollars and you can bomb Iraqi babies with yours to make up the difference. Deal?


Several points: we don't know her medical history for sure, and I don't think we need to. This is for the people involved to deal with. As to whether she really needed in vitro or it was a way to have children without dealing with a relationship I don't know. The fact she used in vitro and got pregnant so easily seems to indicate she had no problems getting pregnant in the first place, but that's my thinking. No proof, and it's not the main issue, except it indicates what frame of mind she was in, and it wasn't rational or caring. To put herself and her future children willfully at risk signals something wrong in her thinking. She wasn't thinking of the health or welfare of her children-just her want.

Also, there is only her word how many embryos she was implanted with. We don't know for sure yet how many specialists were involved. Her parents have given conflicting interviews, so who's telling the truth?

There is such a thing as ethics. Of course, Ms. Suleman can do what she wants, but when she willfully and recklessly affects others, the law will step in to protect others from her excesses. Your comment to Mage about treating children as a commodity is exactly what this young woman did. More, more, more!

The death threats are bs, I'll grant you that. That's just a kneejerk reaction. The first thing to take care of are those babies. And so far, they are still in the hospital, where they should be, and probably will be for some time.

The doctors who have admitted to being part of this implantation are being investigated at both the state and national level. Licenses are going to be lost, and fines levied. Hopefully. I would like to see more, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Fnord, you're right. Where's Brittany going bonkers when we need her. I didn't think I'd miss that mess either.

Metta.