Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:03 am

MICHAEL PHELPS CAUGHT WITH BONG

This is sad. I think the guy's earned the right to relax and take a bong hit or two... Hopefully this incident and the one with Obama's brother might be enough to convince the world once and for all that smoking a little herb is no crime and shouldn't be treated as such...

Quote:
The competition isn't the only thing he's been smoking!

Olympic hero and 14-time gold medalist Michael Phelps has been caught cradling a glass bong - a scene so potentially damaging to his career that his representatives allegedly tried to buy off the British newspaper News Of The World in an attempt to kill the story, the paper reports.

The winner of a record eight gold medals last summer in Beijing was spotted knocking back shots and chugging beers at a house party at the University of South Carolina in Columbia on Nov. 6, when a partygoer handed him the water pipe etched with red writing.

"He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do," a witness said of the swimming superstar, who was in town visiting a gal pal and South Carolina co-ed, Jordan Matthews.

"He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits."

The report allegedly made Phelps' handlers so paranoid that they offered the paper an eye-popping deal to keep it from seeing the light of day - having Phelps pen a column for the paper for three years.

His camp also allegedly offered to host parties for the tabloid and push his sponsors to advertise with them.

"It's seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World," his spokesman, Clifford Bloxham, told the paper.

The scandal could be a major buzz kill for Phelps, whose agent, Peter Carlisle, has said Phelps could bag up to $100 million in endorsements.

The world record holder's deals with Visa, PowerBar, AT&T Wireless and Speedo may all be in jeopardy.

During the two-day stay, the normally reserved Phelps was spotted partying hard with a flock of females.

"He arrived with a group of girls hanging all over him. Every girl wanted a piece of him and every guy wanted to be his best buddy," the student told the paper.

"He couldn't get enough of all the attention."

This isn't the first scandal for the golden boy, who was arrested in 2004 for driving under the influence near his home in suburban Baltimore, when he was 19. He was sentenced to 18 months probation and fined $250.

Phelps' spokesman did not return repeated requests for comment.

[email protected]

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:13 am

Quote:
"He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do,"

doesn't anyone with half a brain? :wink:

what i can't understand is the sijmple fact some celebrities and those who thin they belong in the same category are shooting lines of coke into both eyeballs and it's classed as 'one of those things' yet when an olympian does something almost everyone else does it's instantly the worst thing in the world.

let him smoke a bit of puff, it's his body and there's nothing too damaging about it. if everyone smoed some weed instead of doing other harder drugs the world would be a much nicer place.

also i think it was kate moss who took a line of something, because nobody new if it was cociane, amphetymines or another drug i can't quite remember she was let go instead of being charged with at least the most minor of the offences yet this guy who so many people look up to could loose his carrer just because he's taken a hit from a bong.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2009, 6:34 am

Last time I checked, a bong isn't used to take steroids, so I don't see why it's such an issue.

So he smokes weed. It's not like he's the only one.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

01 Feb 2009, 7:24 am

He has the medals and they won't be taken away. Hopefully he'll learn to keep his minor indiscretions more discrete. I agree with PhR33kY, pot is certainly not a performance enhancing drug so, hopefully, it won't hurt his endorsements too much. jrknothead your remarks about relaxing are spot on, there are worse things than pot smoking and having a drink.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 8:32 am

People make mistakes anyway. His medals will stay with him because he never tested positive for steroids or any enhancement drugs.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 11:13 am

Quote:
People make mistakes anyway.

His only mistake I see is forgetting that he was in a public place where people would make a big deal out of it. Well, that and if you've been drinking as heavily as they implied, you should probably skip the weed.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 11:25 am

zghost wrote:
Quote:
People make mistakes anyway.

His only mistake I see is forgetting that he was in a public place where people would make a big deal out of it. Well, that and if you've been drinking as heavily as they implied, you should probably skip the weed.

fromwhat i read he wasn't in public, he was at a party with a few people most would rather party without in future.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 11:52 am

it would have been more approproate if he was caught doing a 'depth charge' :lol:

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:40 pm

I have lost all respect for him. Once a druggie, always a druggie. Great role model. I hope he gets kicked from copention and has to give back all his money and nedals for this as an example to others. High profile athletes like that are automacally a role model. behavior like this should not be rewarded.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 6:53 pm

jrknothead wrote:
This is sad. I think the guy's earned the right to relax and take a bong hit or two

Indeed he has.
The press needs to get off his back. This is the kind of stuff people in their early twenties do.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 7:29 pm

Sure is a tragedy, another life destroyed by marijuana. I'm sure glad we got the government spending umpteen million dollars of my tax money and putting hundreds of thousands of people in prison to protect us from this horrible danger.

The guy might have done something with his life, might have accomplished something, but like the government says, marijuana destroys ambition.

He had some real athletic talent too. Might have even made it into the Olympics, but like they tell us, marijuana's so damaging to the lungs, worse than tobacco, that nobody can be a first class athlete if they smoke the stuff.

I'm sure glad the government's looking out for us.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2009, 7:32 pm

Seriously who cares if he is smoking pot, people stereotype it to be something horrible, it doesn't cause as many deaths as those who smoke cigarettes, or drink alchohal. So he made a small mistake, it does not mean he's a bad person.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 7:48 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
Sure is a tragedy, another life destroyed by marijuana. I'm sure glad we got the government spending umpteen million dollars of my tax money and putting hundreds of thousands of people in prison to protect us from this horrible danger.

The guy might have done something with his life, might have accomplished something, but like the government says, marijuana destroys ambition.

He had some real athletic talent too. Might have even made it into the Olympics, but like they tell us, marijuana's so damaging to the lungs, worse than tobacco, that nobody can be a first class athlete if they smoke the stuff.

I'm sure glad the government's looking out for us.

:lol:
Congratulations, You win one internet.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 7:51 pm

Quote:
marijuana's so damaging to the lungs, worse than tobacco, that nobody can be a first class athlete if they smoke the stuff.

Well... yes and no. Sure it is if you smoke a comparative ammount, but very few people do. Tobacco smokers usually smoke around a pack a day or so (20 ciggs). Marijuana smokers, even very heavy ones, are usually only smoking maybe a joint or two daily. And most people only do it on occasion, like less than once a month.
In small ammounts, I see no harm in it.

He's an athlete, so I seriously doubt he's a hardcore pothead.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 8:19 pm

zghost wrote:
Marijuana smokers, even very heavy ones, are usually only smoking maybe a joint or two daily. And most people only do it on occasion, like less than once a month.

All the people I've known that smoked pot had tryed to hide it from me at first. Then they told me they used it now and then. Then all they wanted to to do was smoke all the time all day, nothing else. I have never meet a casual pot user. Its all or nothing with them.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 9:05 pm

zghost wrote:
Quote:
marijuana's so damaging to the lungs, worse than tobacco, that nobody can be a first class athlete if they smoke the stuff.

Well... yes and no. Sure it is if you smoke a comparative ammount, but very few people do. Tobacco smokers usually smoke around a pack a day or so (20 ciggs). Marijuana smokers, even very heavy ones, are usually only smoking maybe a joint or two daily. And most people only do it on occasion, like less than once a month.
In small ammounts, I see no harm in it.

He's an athlete, so I seriously doubt he's a hardcore pothead.

CanyonWind was being satirical in that post. Which is why I awarded him an internet because it was the funniest thing i've read all day.