A good reason to live each day as if it were your last...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:18 pm

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -star.html

Makes me think of that 2011 apocolypse rumor.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:11 am

Awesome!
"On the upside we'll never see it coming. The EM-burst travels the speed of light so the only warning we'd have is dying - which most people will accept is a little too late."

Are you thinking of 2012? Gives you an extra year to think about it, I guess.

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2009, 10:10 am

All this stuff about the apocalypse is a little ridiculous. The History Channel has shows on it all the time. Scientist say the chances that earth will be destroyed in the next century are very slim.

Homo Sapien has been on this earth for 200,000 years. Dinosaurs were on the earth for 250 million years before going extinct.

If we've been on the earth for 200,000 years, odds are we're not going to die in the near future.

JadedMantis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2009, 5:30 am

Master_Shake wrote:
All this stuff about the apocalypse is a little ridiculous. The History Channel has shows on it all the time. Scientist say the chances that earth will be destroyed in the next century are very slim.

Homo Sapien has been on this earth for 200,000 years. Dinosaurs were on the earth for 250 million years before going extinct.

If we've been on the earth for 200,000 years, odds are we're not going to die in the near future.

I am sure the Dinosaurs thought the same thing...

How many people are going to die in accidents today? How many days have they been living? For every one of us, odds are that nothing will happen to us today. Still we know that quite a number of people are not going to get home this evening...

One thing about when the end finally comes (which it eventually will), is that you can be sure that there will be a whole lot of reasons to believe that the whole idea is rediculous and extremely unlikely.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:03 am

Master_Shake wrote:

There is no rule that says that humans have to be around for as long as the dinosaurs were, and there is no rule that says that if a species has been around for x number of years, they cannot be wiped out in the near future.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2009, 3:41 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
there is no rule that says that if a species has been around for x number of years, they cannot be wiped out in the near future.

Agreed. My point was the longer we have been here, we can assume the smaller the probability that we will be destroyed in the near future. Now I am not saying being here longer actually decreases the probability, I mean it is a symptom of low probability.

Scientists think that life on earth has been almost totally wiped out about 5 times in our planets history.

So the actual probability that nature will destroy us is very low, but it is harder to estimate the probability that mankind will destroy itself.