Thai fireman in 'spider-man' rescue of autistic boy

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:48 am

Quote:
BANGKOK (AFP) – A Thai fireman turned superhero when he dressed up as comic-book character Spider-Man to coax a frightened eight-year-old from a balcony, police said Tuesday.

Teachers at a special needs school in Bangkok alerted authorities on Monday when an autistic pupil, scared of attending his first day at school, sat out on the third-floor ledge and refused to come inside, a police sergeant told AFP.

Despite teachers' efforts to beckon the boy inside, he refused to budge until his mother mentioned her son's love of superheroes, prompting fireman Sonchai Yoosabai to take a novel approach to the problem.

The rescuer dashed back to his fire station and made a quick change into a Spider-Man costume before returning to the boy, he said.

"I told him Spider-Man is here to rescue you, no monsters are going to attack you and I told him to walk slowly towards me as running could be dangerous," Somchai told local television.

The young boy immediately stood up and walked into his rescuer's arms, police said.

Somchai said he keeps the Spider-Man costume and an outfit of Japanese television character Ultraman at the station in order to liven up school fire drills.

Good thinking on the fireman's part.

Three years!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:59 pm

Aww, I like that story.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:05 pm

Here's the picture:

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2009, 4:52 pm

Perfect! What a way for an NT to alter their way of thinking and understanding things so that it may be of benefit to an Autistic! :D

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:06 pm

that's spidey sense! :lol:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 9:29 am

Thats so cute. I wish a superhero would come and rescue me from this nut house...

enchantedsleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 5:06 am

Aww, that's so sweet it makes me want to cry. A little. xD We need more people like that around in the world.

Icheb: Your signature - that's a translated quote from Camus, isn't it? "L'enfer, c'est les autres" or whatever the French word for hell is...

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 8:29 am

audioeyes wrote:
Perfect! What a way for an NT to alter their way of thinking and understanding things so that it may be of benefit to an Autistic! :D
I agree. Good call on the part of the fireman. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 8:58 am

That's nice. :) It was good of the fireman to dress up as Spider-Man to help. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!