But Enough About You … What is narcissistic perso... (Slate)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 8:08 pm

But Enough About You …
What is narcissistic personality disorder, and why does everyone seem to have it?
By Emily Yoffe

The narcissists did it. Some commentators are fingering them as the culprits of the financial meltdown. A Bloomberg columnist blamed the conceited for our financial troubles in a piece titled "Harvard Narcissists With MBAs Killed Wall Street." A Wall Street Journal op-ed on California's economy suggested that Gov. Schwarzenegger's desire for voter's love ("It's classic narcissism") helped cause the state's budget debacle. A forthcoming book, The Narcissism Epidemic, says we went on a national binge of I-deserve-it consumption that's now resulting in our economic purging.

http://www.slate.com/id/2213740/

- Emerson

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 8:56 pm

They left out the part about the government overlords bailing out their Harvard Class.

If background and education don't work, it back to being pirate looters, just like their ancestors.

It sounds like an excuse for being a Sociopath.

This is not Psychology, it is the old class warfare of the Robber Barons.

Their class should have all the money, because they are the monied class.

I would call it Felon Syndrome.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 9:04 pm

I've heard of studies linking personality disorders to executives. Wiki gives

Quote:
n 2005, psychologists Belinda Board and Katarina Fritzon at the University of Surrey, UK, interviewed and gave personality tests to high-level British executives and compared their profiles with those of criminal psychiatric patients at Broadmoor Hospital in the UK. They found that three out of eleven personality disorders were actually more common in managers than in the disturbed criminals...They described the business people as successful psychopaths and the criminals as unsuccessful psychopaths.

Where histrionic, narcissistic, and obsessive compulsive were the ones they found as common. Cited as
Board, Belinda Jane (2005), "Disordered personalities at work", Psychology Crime and Law 11: 17,
Although I can't find the actual article in google scholar, so I'm not too sure to comment on its validity.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

MrMark wrote:

Quote:
Schwarzenegger's desire for voter's love

I’m nothing even close to being an expert on this subject but I always thought the last thing a narcissist needs or wants is the love of others. Schwarzenegger seems to me like has an inferiority complex that is causing him to seek out approval.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 12:12 am

Coadunate wrote:
I’m nothing even close to being an expert on this subject but I always thought the last thing a narcissist needs or wants is the love of others.

from the DSM criteria for diagnosis of NPD:
4. requires excessive admiration

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 12:32 am

twoshots wrote:

Quote:
from the DSM criteria for diagnosis of NPD:
4. requires excessive admiration

I’m not sure if admiration and love are the same thing in this case. I have always admired Dick Cheney’s huevos but have always hated him and I’m sure he wouldn’t care if I or anyone else loved him or not as long as he was admired.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2009, 7:36 pm

There's a big difference between being narcissistic and having narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). It's roughly the same as the difference between being uncomfortable in social situations and having AS. People with NPD believe themselves to be superior, regardless of any supporting or contradicting evidence. The condition constitutes a distorted perception of reality.