Afghan leader accused of bid to 'legalise rape'

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 3:32 am

Afghanistan's President, Hamid Karzai, has signed a law which "legalises" rape, women's groups and the United Nations warn. Critics claim the president helped rush the bill through parliament in a bid to appease Islamic fundamentalists ahead of elections in August.

In a massive blow for women's rights, the new Shia Family Law negates the need for sexual consent between married couples, tacitly approves child marriage and restricts a woman's right to leave the home, according to UN papers seen by The Independent.

"It is one of the worst bills passed by the parliament this century," fumed Shinkai Karokhail, a woman MP who campaigned against the legislation. "It is totally against women's rights. This law makes women more vulnerable."

source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-1658049.html

^^ This is not April fools

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 6:07 am

Sounds like a total disgrace, this law sounds like a step into the dark ages.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 6:26 am

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 8:53 am

and these people (muslim fundies) have the nerve to call *us* immoral...

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2009, 11:30 am

This is disgraceful. To advance one man's political career, hundreds (or maybe thousands or millions) of women will suffer. I want to cry.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 4:51 pm

With laws like this, the Taliban have already won the civil war in Afghanistan.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 7:11 pm

I can't take hamid karzai seriously... the guy used to sell hot dogs on the corner of broadway and bleeker... I stopped at his stand many times, and he didn't seem very presidential... just another hot dog guy in NY...

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 7:56 pm

anna-banana wrote:

I find this to be offensive as not all Muslims are the same. They too are people and are aware of many things. There are also many who do not agree with some of the laws as written in the Quran. I have a number of Muslim friends and none of them wear a burka. I don't have any male Muslim friends, but my female friends are great to talk with and do not preach their beliefs as much as Christians, and Jehovas Witnesses...

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 8:39 pm

Keith wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

I find this to be offensive as not all Muslims are the same. They too are people and are aware of many things. There are also many who do not agree with some of the laws as written in the Quran. I have a number of Muslim friends and none of them wear a burka. I don't have any male Muslim friends, but my female friends are great to talk with and do not preach their beliefs as much as Christians, and Jehovas Witnesses...

And not all Christians preach their beliefs, so don't roll them all into one category either.

That's a very sad law.

Three years!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 8:54 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
Afghanistan's President, Hamid Karzai, has signed a law which "legalises" rape, women's groups and the United Nations warn. Critics claim the president helped rush the bill through parliament in a bid to appease Islamic fundamentalists ahead of elections in August.

And this is or "ally" against the Taliban. There goes our ally folks -- different God, different Mountain.

ruveyn

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 9:36 am

Keith wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

I specifically wrote *muslim fundies* to avoid replies like this one. if you feel the need to show your righteous indignation to someone who's been politically incorrect, I suggest you visit the PPR forum :P

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 1:14 pm

Spousal rape is not addressed in the law books of all Muslim-majority countries except Mauritania and Turkey. It is also unaddressed in most of the African continent, most of South America, a big chunk of Eastern Europe, and most of Asia (except India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and the Phillipines).

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 1:18 pm

That news story doesn't surprise me at all.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 1:43 pm

I wonder why so many of these one-goded religions abuse women or put them in such a way that they are not people but sheep to be bred... :?

At least in parts of north america, Native women were allowed to kick their spouse out of their teepee if they were acting naughty.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:05 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I wonder why so many of these one-goded religions abuse women or put them in such a way that they are not people but sheep to be bred... :?

At least in parts of north america, Native women were allowed to kick their spouse out of their teepee if they were acting naughty.

Oh? Even today in North America, men behaving badly
may get exiled to the sofa.

(A law enshrining this practise just might be what Afghan women need.)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:10 pm

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Oh? Even today in North America, men behaving badly
may get exiled to the sofa.

(A law enshrining this practise just might be what Afghan women need.)

I seriously hope you're kidding.