Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

robotrecall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: In a floating candy house with a flying pet unicorn

05 Mar 2021, 8:44 pm

Title says it all. For some reason, people think I look, and sound like a teenager. I get people mistaking me for being a 15-19 year old girl, and got told I sound like a 14 year old girl. That's all. I'm flattered to an extent, but does anyone else get mistaken for being younger than you actually are? I'd thought being somewhat fat would make somebody look older, but I guess not me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:51 pm

I don't get mistaken for a teenager anymore, but people still sometimes peg me as my early 20s. It makes me wonder how much younger I'd look if I didn't take caffeine, ephedrine and similar. :lol:

Being heavier is a double-edged sword. If you're a small, petite person being heavier will make you look bigger and thus less young, but no matter how you're built it tends to make one's completion look younger and will often give you chubbier cheeks which sometimes make one look younger.

robotrecall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2021, 8:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I don't get mistaken for a teenager anymore, but people still sometimes peg me as my early 20s. It makes me wonder how much younger I'd look if I didn't take caffeine, ephedrine and similar. :lol:
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bet it flatters you. It sure does flatter me.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:58 pm

I’m 28 and still get asked what grade I’m in.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:09 pm

robotrecall wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bet it flatters you. It sure does flatter me.

I just think of myself as young with experience. 8)

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:56 pm

People always think I'm younger than I am.

Christ knows how, as I'm overweight, balding, wear glasses, have slightly hunched shoulders, and generally don't move quick.

I can only assume it's more of an attitude thing? I'm very curious about things and my brain tends to pinball around (thanks, ADHD) so I guess my mindset can come across as young? Or "emotionally undeveloped" as a shrink would probably call it.

robotrecall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2021, 10:46 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I’m 28 and still get asked what grade I’m in.
I have no idea how long it's going to be like that for me; I'm in my early 20's btw.

Quote:
robotrecall wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I just think of myself as young with experience. 8)
IMO, you're still young. I think young adults are 20-39 and you get middle aged from 40-59.

Quote:
People always think I'm younger than I am.

Christ knows how, as I'm overweight, balding, wear glasses, have slightly hunched shoulders, and generally don't move quick.

I can only assume it's more of an attitude thing? I'm very curious about things and my brain tends to pinball around (thanks, ADHD) so I guess my mindset can come across as young? Or "emotionally undeveloped" as a shrink would probably call it.
I think my mindset comes off as more of an Adolescent versus a young adult, but I'm on the same boat as you minus the balding lol. I also still wear a lot of things adolescents wear, and still occasionally shop for Junior's clothing so that might also be it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 5:32 pm

I'm 60, and I'm NOT old.

I sort of look 60, though :(

Magicklore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2022, 9:12 pm

I almost always get mistaken for younger than I am. It's probably my round face paired with the fact that I rarely wear makeup. It only bothers me when guys randomly try to flirt with me on the street. They always start with "How old are you?" To make sure I'm over 18. That phrase makes me so uncomfortable! If they think I might be a teenager then why try to flirt with me?

Revok underground
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2022, 5:31 am

The day I turned 50 I went out to buy some beer and much to my surprise and amusement the cashier wanted to see my ID to make sure I was over 18 yo. [Where I live cashiers are supposed to ask for the ID of everyone who looks under 30.] Same thing has actually happened about a dozen times during the last year or so. Flattering for sure, but also somewhat puzzling to say the least.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 9:00 am

robotrecall wrote:
Title says it all. For some reason, people think I look, and sound like a teenager. I get people mistaking me for being a 15-19 year old girl, and got told I sound like a 14 year old girl. That's all. I'm flattered to an extent, but does anyone else get mistaken for being younger than you actually are? I'd thought being somewhat fat would make somebody look older, but I guess not me.

Personally, I look younger than I am. However, I am told that my voice and the way in which I speak makes me sound older. Then there's the factor of height. I am fairly tall for a woman. When I was a teenager, it was amusing since I'd go places with my sister and people would assume that I was the older sibling. I remember I went to the cinema once and my sister was charged a child ticket but I was charged as an adult.

Generally, I tend to look about three years younger than my age. Which wasn't great when I was eighteen since I looked closer to fifteen. However, it's not too bad now as I'm looking closer to nineteen or just about twenty which isn't that far off my actual age. I'll be twenty-three soon. How I dress and wear my hair makes a significant difference. The fringe seems to have helped make me look a little older. When I dress up, especially in retro styles, I am generally perceived as being in my twenties. However, when I'm wearing a hoodie or a simple t-shirt then people tend to assume that I'm a teenager. My dimples make me look young. I know blonde hair tends to be associated with youth but I wouldn't be surprised if my hair fades into being brunette in a couple of years. Each year it seems to be going darker.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 6:19 pm

I wish I could still be charged the kid rate at the movies!