Do your teachers know you have asperger's? Mine don't!

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

do they?
no 37%  37%  [ 67 ]
yes 31%  31%  [ 57 ]
some 29%  29%  [ 53 ]
none of the above(somehow) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 181

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 7:46 pm

I've been in this awkward place in class a few times lately where someone's like "Matt, wat the hell is an aspie?" and I'm thinking "I want to tell you but I don't want to tell the teacher so they don't bother me asking if I need special help with everything.". So I say "I'll tell you later." and they think I'm keeping it a secret. I'm just starting to have autistic pride when I used to wish I never got the stupid diagnosis so I'm not too wise yet on how or when to tell people about it.
P.S. Irada, that last sentence...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't like it, but I still have prideXD

Last edited by protest_the_hero on 19 Dec 2008, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2008, 1:11 pm

Only a couple of the teachers at my school know that I'm an Aspie (Head of English, one other English teacher and the school psych). As for telling people that your an Aspie, I generally don't go round shouting it out, but if someone asks me I will answer truthfully. Depression kills anyone's Autistic Pride.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2008, 8:12 pm

A couple do, but by the time I was diagnosed, I had been mainstreamed so long that I did not feel the need to broadcast it.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm

all of my teachers do... because I cant function if they try to teach me like a NT kid...

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:39 pm

hopefully none...unless they overheard me telling someone I had it. But it'd pretty easy to spot sometimes...especially when you have teachers with kids who have AS 8O

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 2:47 am

I think some teachers have suspected that I have it but I don't really now, which I think is worse than knowing that they know...or not.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2008, 6:09 am

I told my school when i was re-enrolling for next year. The head of the year said that she would pass it on to my teachers so they can go through things with me, so I don't have to ask for help, because I won't and then I'll fall behind.

I think of it as something positive and I hope that it will help me learn more in class.

I also hope that the teachers do it tactfully so I don't stand out like a sore thumb (more than I already feel that I do)

AIWS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2008, 11:06 am

No, they donot know what it is. I don't want to tell all people about it. Know only my family, people from AS club and two of my classfriends.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 5:26 pm

I wasnt diagnosed until I was 18 so none of my teachers all throughout high school knew, only my highschool dean knew like the last semester of senior year. I simply just did all my work and never acted up, in middle school and highschool the teachers stopped bothering my parents that there was something wrong with me simply because i got good grades and behaved thats all they wanted.

When I got to college, I had all sorts of trouble with the school work, and all my learning difficulties spilled out. So some of them know, some dont. I'll tell em if I need to.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 6:36 pm

yeah... because im in pretty much all special education classes (not because im dumb, im pretty intelligent, its just that the general ed teachers dont know how to teach me and dont want to waste time learning

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

Yes, and its a pain in the ass. They give me the notes for the class, because they seem to think I'm incapable of writing notes, this leads to other people to believe the same. I don't like being picked on and react by snapping back. Being diagnosed AS I am automatically blamed for the incident when I overreact and go over the top with my insults. I hate being falsely blamed and punished for things because of a diagnosis.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm

The head teachers, deputy and principal do. I'm not sure about everyone else.

They kind of need to really, because I can only work properly if I'm stuck with the right teacher. I can't stand being yelled at, and so if a teacher yells at me I tend to yell back.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:25 pm

some do, but that's because it's on our personal records on the teachers computers so they know all sorts about you.
I wish they didn't know because they treat me like an idiot and keep letting me get away with stuff which isn't good because it's not fair on everyone else.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:46 pm

Well I am cyber schooled this year but none of my teachers know. My instructional supervisor knows only cause he helped get a iep set up. I just got my diagnosis of PDD this summer so. Although I am sure my teachers will know next year due to a couple accommodations.

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:32 pm

Ya, they all know. If they didn't, I'd fall behind 'cause I never really ask questions. A lot of my friends also know.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:51 pm

MONKEY wrote:
some do, but that's because it's on our personal records on the teachers computers so they know all sorts about you.
I wish they didn't know because they treat me like an idiot and keep letting me get away with stuff which isn't good because it's not fair on everyone else.
r u sure about this cuz if its like that here id rather know
P.S. Today I think my careers teacher overheard my loud conversation with a guy with PPD-NOS about our ASDs and those of others. I'm sure she found out, though in the way that she hasn't really been told so she's not going to do anything about escept maybe treat me differently. Hopefully betterXD