Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mercado
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2014, 1:01 am

Is there any asian aspies in the nyc area?
reason im asking is because i would like to make friends with the people of asian descent as I'm fascinated by their culture and their level of friendship
i hope nobody takes this thw wrong way

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2014, 1:27 am

A lot of colleges have multi cultural events, karaoke, shows like Bollywood (Indian musicals), anime, Korean horror and thriller movies etc where you can find a lot of Asian folks. Usually you can go to the events even if you don't attend the college. I can't vouch for whether people there will be on the spectrum, though.

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2014, 4:53 am

The Asian attitude towards psychological disorders is completely different. So don't expect someone of Asian descent to know whether they are on the spectrum or not, since it's a bit of a taboo subject over there. You shouldn't limit your friendships to people on the spectrum; you're cutting out a whole bunch of people. My closest friends are neurotypical, but very understanding.

I do know one girl of Japanese heritage who's autistic, though she was diagnosed here in Australia, and her family have adopted the laid-back attitude that's common amongst people who grew up here.