Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:16 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
By the same logic, the stages of schizophrenia:
Stage 1: You're in your own schizo world full of your own magical friends and voices. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2. You try to act normal, but can't help hearing voices.
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, you decide this must be because of the government tampering with the fluoride in your drinking water and you make your own water purification device.
Stage 4: Using your iron as a phone you call Strategic Air Command and issue a nuclear bombardment of the Soviet Union. Communism has penetrated society and only YOU can save the free world.

lol Im in a stage 3.

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2012, 1:19 am

NeueZiel wrote:
By the same logic, the stages of schizophrenia:
Stage 1: You're in your own schizo world full of your own magical friends and voices. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2. You try to act normal, but can't help hearing voices.
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, you decide this must be because of the government tampering with the fluoride in your drinking water and you make your own water purification device.
Stage 4: Using your iron as a phone you call Strategic Air Command and issue a nuclear bombardment of the Soviet Union. Communism has penetrated society and only YOU can save the free world.

NeueZiel, I think you're making a round about joke, and that's really good.

Icecreamgirl, whoever told you, whatever book you read, whatever crack doctor or crack guru told you can outgrow asperger's is selling you snakeoil.

Can someone tell me the stages to outgrow my neurological-typical-ness?

Tin_foil_hat
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2012, 4:21 am

But why would you not want to be neurotypical?

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2012, 12:47 am

I am neurotypical. I'm an NT, I'm in grad school for secondary education history/social sciences and special education. My girlfriend has aspergers, a old friend of mine has aspergers. Some of my best students-not A+ student but students that made me GROW* as a teacher and human being, they had aspergers and autism.

I don't want anyone to suffer in life, and I do want to make other's lives better, including students with autism and aspergers but at some point, I ask myself, what's wrong with the NT's? The NT world, no the whole world has changed and gained much understanding and wisdom about autism and asperger but yet, the world focuses on chnaging the AS world?

Should there not be an equal force to change the NT world to understand and accept?

So I ask, what are the four steps to change the NT?

*teachers NEED to see personal growth

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I don't mean to. You know what, if someone believes they can outgrow aspergers and it helps them deal with it, then god bless them. If it comes in the form of snake oil, so be it. Who am I to judge, I'll go tomorrow to see a priest, he will talk, tell me to make a crufic with some plastic beads after I tell him my sins, he'll throw some "holy" water mixed with olive oil on me. I like MY snake oil, I like to believe it's real and it doesn't make false promises to me. So if anyone can outgrow aspergers, great. If they can't, I hope they can deal with it.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2012, 9:41 pm

2-3. I tend to act different in that I avoid team sports like the plague (except ultimate frisbee) and every few months I break down sobbing and practically hysterical over something stupid (like that my cheeks tend to favor the red side, or that I can't tell if I'm thinking something or if I heard it and it was integrated into me.

BIG NEWS : I have integrated into a new sleep schedule! I go to sleep @ ten or ten thirty at night, wake up @ 3:50ish, sleep from seven to nine thirty.
I do better waking up early and I'm less likely to pick fights with my sister just to aggravate and point out her flawed (cough hopelessly NT) reasoning.

TyeDog
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm

I'm usually #3, but can easily revert to #2 when having a bad day. I have friends who like me perfectly fine the way I am, but... it's been very detrimental to my dating life :(

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

I've always been in stage 3.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

Tin_foil_hat wrote:
But why would you not want to be neurotypical?

I would rather kill myself than become Neurotypical. Because of my AS, I am more mature, intelligent, rational, secure and focused than Neurotypicals of the same age. Many Neurotypicals are so shallow minded that they seem to abuse and exclude anyone who is different. I've seen people reduced to tears by Neurotypicals purely because they aren't "normal". So, I ask, why the hell would I want to be a part of that?

My friends are Aspies and they are the nicest people I've ever met. Many Neurotypical friendships I have observed seem to entail gossip, emotional bullying and deceitfulness. I think I'll stick with the honesty and genuinity of an Aspie friendship thank you very much!

It really baffles me when people ask things like this!

c0bo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

I'm on stage 2

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2012, 5:05 am

Stage 3

Personally I don't think Stage 4 exists. . .

EDIT:

CaliforniaSh33p wrote:
Stage 12: You decide to give up trying and immerse yourself in whatever your special interest happened to be - Whilst accepting who you are! =)

I'm thinking this is where I could be actually.

slapdash

25 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm

Stage 2.8 (2-3)

Stage 4 either does not exist or needs to be clarified. Essentially I think it means you've become an excellent and effortless actor/actress. Perhaps a person may think they are there but give it time.

=-=-=-=-=

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:58 am

I went from stage one to two during some amount of time. Now I'm back to one again. I stopped caring about acting "normal" after a while and no one gives me a hard time for being different (except for my parents, but they'll find something to criticize no matter what :roll:).

From my point of view, it feels so much better to be in stage one.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2014, 5:54 pm

On Katzefrau's scale, I do reach stage 5 at times, but then drift off into stage 1, and am forced to go to stage 2 at times. It's more of a cyclical process than a linear one.

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2014, 3:48 am

Simonono wrote:
What is there to grow out of?? This is a permanent way of life.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I actually thought your profile pic was a bug on my screen, and tried to brush it off. :lol:

Stage 12!

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2014, 8:09 pm

katzefrau wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2: You try to act normal, but you can't help acting a little different.

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

at least, these are the stages of becoming aware of having AS as an adult, as i see it.

I go between stages 4 and 5 on various days. On most days I'm stage 5. I went through stage 3 in my freshman year of high school (the entire year), 1 and 2 in elementary and middle schools, and got to stage 5 last summer, just before sophomore year.