Trying too hard to get close to NTs= Recipe for Disaster

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 4:42 pm

As an Aspie, sometimes I still make social mistakes. I do enjoy meeting new people. However, sometimes I end up trying too hard to get close to people and end up annoying them. I have a tendency to not give these people enough space. Not trying to be clingy, just want close bonds to people. I really feel bad about it though. I do believe of the girls I have done this to genuinely likes me and just gets aggravated with my "social awkwardness." She has even tried to help me.Any similar experiences or advice?

Zarith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2013, 10:29 am

I've been plagued with that exact same scenario my entire life. Ultimately, around the time I was 16 or so, I gave up and said, "You know what? I've had enough of trying-and failing-to make close bonds with people. I'll let them come to me instead." So now I only talk to people in real life when they initiate the conversation.

I'm not saying that you should do the same, but that's my experience with the whole thing. Also, this might sound a bit odd, but I've been a member of several Internet forums throughout my lifetime and they are a good way of making friends. Maybe not real-life friends but friends nonetheless.