Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2011, 5:51 pm

I would like to know what are you're teen story's that you had where you had to deal with acne? I am 17 with ASD and I have had acne since I was 13. I have been picked on and made fun of because of it I felt like I was the only freshman at the time (was 15 when I was a freshman) and I felt like I was the only one with acne in the whole school out of 1500 kids. Everyone keeped making fun of me and saying I needed to clear up and the whole time I was thinking "Yeah It is not like I have been doing that the whole time" I got so feed up with it that I wore a hood on. Then the teachers kept on telling me to take off my hood and I kept refusing. Anyone else with acne problems?

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2011, 6:10 pm

I am 13 and have had acne ever since I started middle school. I get taunted a lot for many things and acne is one of them. I am envious of the people who don't have it. My face looks disgusting and I wash it all the time. No matter how much I wash my face my skin still has zits. A lot of girls try to hide it by putting on a ton of make up but I don't do that because it will cause you to have wrinkles by age 30. Your not the only one who has/haves acne.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 6:55 pm

i keep getting this recurring thought of a cheese grater to get rid of my acne... Gotta love that!! :lol:

But seriously, Yes i have a small problem. Not that bigger deal.

Fragile
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2011, 7:21 pm

My sister and I had both acne for quite some years after we turned thirteen. The problem was almost completely solved by:

-Changing diet (not too much sugar, alcohol, fat, dietary or processed products); simply eating healthily and in the right amounts (no excessive eating or anorexia)
-Blue-light therapy helped tremdendously (and so does the sun) during the winter where I used it for severe seasonal affective disorder. Kills all bacteria within 3-4 days and keeps infections at bay.
-Scrub creme (was a bit hard on my skin because I suffer from eczema as well, but it's great for acne and works quickly)
-Never touching the face (especially with hands not recently washed). This is more important than people think.
-Swimming.

Eating correctly is definitely extremely important, but more than anything I found that swimming completely saved my skin. I bought an underwater mp3, which helped motivate me, and swam for about two hours every other day. Within the first week of swimming, my acne was completely gone, and my skin was overall very clean and smooth. The water opens your pores, and the chlorine simply kills everything infectious. Swimming freestyle with the standard breathing technique worked best. Also got into shape... 2-3 days without swimming, and pimples start messing me up again. Couldn't live without swimming.

Of course, I don't know, if you can or even want to try swimming, but I just wanted to share this wonderful solution for acne that even gets you into shape, relieves stress and provides more mental energy.

You should also remember too sleep regularly and not become too stressed, anxious or depressed. I know it's difficult for many with asperger's syndrome. At least for me it is, but really try to avoid stress as it causes acne probably more than anything else.

Good luck in the future

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2011, 10:15 pm

Acne is the worst thing ever. I cant tell you how annoying it is to get all dressed up for a dance hoping youll be able to make yourself look good for the girl your going with. your hairs all combed, your teeth are sord of white, and you just sprayed on cologne, you take one last look at yourself and what do you see but three big zits right on your face! and one of them is right between your eyes and looks like a bindi that indian people wear thats been dyed gray!(yes i know their red, and a tilaka is black). It makes me so mad that anytime theres a dance or any school function, especially school photos those zits just start popping out!

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:24 am

RAINCLOUD wrote:
A lot of girls try to hide it by putting on a ton of make up but I don't do that because it will cause you to have wrinkles by age 30.

That's untrue. The worst it will do is clog your pores if you leave it on overnight.

I've had ance for awhile now on my chest, back, shoulders, neck and face. I've used about 10 different perscription products and more non Rx things that I care to count. NOTHING WORKS.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:17 pm

I've had mostly clear skin throughout my youth. I eat very healthily so I don't get any of that stuff often.

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 2:06 am

I used to have some acne and it was pretty annoying. Then I decided to go to the dermatologist and got an antibiotic solution and a prescription cream (nowadays I still use the cream). A few months later it was almost completely gone. I've found it's good to use a skin toner, too.

MissyA123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2011, 3:54 pm

i have been incredibly lucky so far and not had to much trouble with spots :colors:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:01 pm

I echo the diet advice... I think acne is often caused by too much acidity, so eat lots of green veggies, and try to cut back on sugar and carby foods.

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 6:22 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
RAINCLOUD wrote:
A lot of girls try to hide it by putting on a ton of make up but I don't do that because it will cause you to have wrinkles by age 30.

That's untrue. The worst it will do is clog your pores if you leave it on overnight.

I've had ance for awhile now on my chest, back, shoulders, neck and face. I've used about 10 different perscription products and more non Rx things that I care to count. NOTHING WORKS.

Oh my mother probably just told me that so I would not were make up then.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

i got acne in 5th grade and it finally left at the beginning of my 11th grade year because i was on this heavy duty medical pills called Accutane and it did wonders, it cleared up my skin AND the scars

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

I could be wrong, but I really don't think diet is the cause of acne. Pimples are caused by oil getting into the pores in your skin. Wouldn't the best thing to prevent it be to wash your face?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I could be wrong, but I really don't think diet is the cause of acne. Pimples are caused by oil getting into the pores in your skin. Wouldn't the best thing to prevent it be to wash your face?

my dermatologist said dairy milk is one of the biggest acne causing foods

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

SammichEater wrote:

I'll chime in here - diet can be a contributing factor, diet effects every aspect of health.
Hormonal issues are another factor to consider, particularly in girls/women.

Washing actually is bad for skin - washing implies using soap or facial wash.
Oil is GOOD for skin as it protects the skin and cleans-out pores, it's only a problem when it is produced in excessive amounts which can clog pores. Washing strips skin of its natural oils, which in turn effects the skins self-protective properties, and dries-out the skin so oils to clean-out the pores are lacking, the skins response to this to overproduce oil...which clogs pores.

Gentle cleansing is FAR better than washes.
Some acne treatments and toners will also cause more harm than good by drying out the skin, which is unhealthy and again may increase oil production, gentle cleansing is far better to work with the skin rather than against it and are a lot more gentle on delicate skin. I personally recommend Oil Cleansing Method for acne, maybe with a few drops lavender or tea tree oil which are anti-bacterial, and vitamin e to help aid healing - although Oil Cleansing alone will both prevent and heal acne. http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:46 pm

RAINCLOUD wrote:
GammaGeek wrote:
RAINCLOUD wrote:

Oh my mother probably just told me that so I would not were make up then.

Probably - although most make-up contains ingredients that are not healthy for the skin. Also if using make-up you need to be careful to keep it clean or else you're just adding more bacteria to your face time and time again. Mineral make-ups are best for the skin, give better coverage and don't block pores or contain any nasty ingredients.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.