Does anyone have religious beliefs viewed as odd by others?

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

bradt4evr wrote:

I think it would be very hard to be a mormon since their rules are very strict, in fact they are based off of the puritans correct? I dont think its a weird religion at all i just think it is a very challenging religion to follow and i think its amazing you and your mom follow it.

It is challenging, but I know my life is better off with it. Anyways, it's kind part of my culture for some of those things. I don't know if it is based off of the puritans, never heard that one, I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

mike_the_poet wrote:
OMGosh, a fellow member yay!, I'm 18 (a priest) nice to meet you

Hello, brother mike....haha, jk. Nice to meet you! Oh, and be careful on here, there are a lot of ex-members and a few cynical towards the church. I only know 1 other person on here that is mormon...cyberfox07.

mike_the_poet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
mike_the_poet wrote:
OMGosh, a fellow member yay!, I'm 18 (a priest) nice to meet you

Hello, brother mike....haha, jk. Nice to meet you! Oh, and be careful on here, there are a lot of ex-members and a few cynical towards the church. I only know 1 other person on here that is mormon...cyberfox07.

ah okay, thanks for the heads up :), yeh... I hate it when ex-members talk bad about the church, anyways you got any IM's?

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:17 am

I don't belong to any religion, but I do have some beliefs. Even though I'm religiously tolerant, there are people in my neighbourhood who consider me strange because of not being Catholic and not going to church. :roll:

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

I'm a Traditional Roman Catholic, meaning the mass I practice is no longer the official mass of the Church (the official mass is the Norvus Ordo. We practice the Missile of 1962). All my Catholic friends think I'm weird for having stricter rules within the church (although in daily life we aren't any more uptight than the average lapsed Christian), such as not being aloud to touch The Host (communion bread) or chalice with our hands, advising women to cover their heads in the chapel and men never to wear short pants (although plenty do anyway, as we get a lot of people who are familiar with the Norvus Ordo's rules), not allowing girls to serve on the altar (you can imagine the flak we get for that :wink: ), and most of all saying the entire mass except for the sermon in Latin, and having twice as many prayers.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
Since we do tend to think differently naturally our religious beliefs may be a bit different. I am a christian but i do have other spiritual beliefs as well. I have always believed that all the different gods are the same god, and all religions are different ways he wanted us to live. see in the christian bible it says man isnt perfect, and i believe he made different religions so that his perfection could be on earth, its just seperated into different little chunks. Christians are very loyal to their god, while Native Americans and hindus go more in depth on how to love nature, all these are different parts of how he wanted us to live. I also believe animals and trees are our brothers and sisters therefor i dont hunt, but i dont judge those who do hunt because we need to hunt so animals dont get overpopulated.

I would highly recommend you looking into Kabbalism. It explores the roots of Christianity in an uncommon light and is (in my opinion) very aspie friendly (lots of use of numbers and colors and lists). It seems like it might mesh with what you've said really well.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

You guys have weird beliefs? I was raised on Catholicism by my grandma and still somehow ended up Buddhist with Wiccan influences gained from my mother. Plus I believe in evolution and whatnot, which was weird when i was 8 I guess, but not so much now. Still, I have to keep my beliefs to myself; once for a school project I was forced into the open and everyone made fun of me for years just because of my beliefs, teachers included. Gah.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

I am a Lutheran (Christian), but I support the legalization of same-sex marriage, and the decriminalization of medical marijuana. So that would be considered odd, especially since Texas is half-Baptist, half-Catholic.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

K-R-X wrote:
bradt4evr wrote:
Since we do tend to think differently naturally our religious beliefs may be a bit different. I am a christian but i do have other spiritual beliefs as well. I have always believed that all the different gods are the same god, and all religions are different ways he wanted us to live. see in the christian bible it says man isnt perfect, and i believe he made different religions so that his perfection could be on earth, its just seperated into different little chunks. Christians are very loyal to their god, while Native Americans and hindus go more in depth on how to love nature, all these are different parts of how he wanted us to live. I also believe animals and trees are our brothers and sisters therefor i dont hunt, but i dont judge those who do hunt because we need to hunt so animals dont get overpopulated.

I would highly recommend you looking into Kabbalism. It explores the roots of Christianity in an uncommon light and is (in my opinion) very aspie friendly (lots of use of numbers and colors and lists). It seems like it might mesh with what you've said really well.

Thank you for the suggestion, ill definitely look into it :)

cyanosity

21 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

Well, I used to worship Shamu....

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

cyanosity wrote:
Well, I used to worship Shamu....

haha, that made me laugh : :D , dont worry when i was little i was obsessed with sonic the hedgehog and would always play his game at the exact same time every day in honor of his glory, and would drink dark blue koolaid out of a cup with sonic on it hahaha

omega26
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 1:46 am

I seem to be the only agnostic around where I live, it get kind of lonely

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 10:31 am

omega26 wrote:
I seem to be the only agnostic around where I live, it get kind of lonely

what is an agnostic

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

an agnostic is basically someone who has chosen not to be either theistic or an atheist.
i'm agnost myself as well; but i'm surrounded by many other agnosts and atheists, so it's easier to be one.

however, even though i dont really believe in a 'higher power' i do believe in several spiritual effects; more from the chi/druid angle; but not in the 'mainstream' way either; i'm just weird :P

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

izzeme wrote:
an agnostic is basically someone who has chosen not to be either theistic or an atheist.
i'm agnost myself as well; but i'm surrounded by many other agnosts and atheists, so it's easier to be one.

however, even though i dont really believe in a 'higher power' i do believe in several spiritual effects; more from the chi/druid angle; but not in the 'mainstream' way either; i'm just weird :P

No spiritual path is weird, never let anyone say it is.

bridgete2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

Im a LaVeyan Satanist. I dont believe in a holy, omnipresent "god."
just the god of myself, and my humanity.