Does anyone have religious beliefs viewed as odd by others?

Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

bridgete2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

Im a LaVeyan Satanist. I dont believe in a holy, omnipresent "god."
just the god of myself, and my humanity.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

I am an agnostic. I look at it this way: If a squirrel can't learn to speak because their minds can't comprehend it, who's to say HUMANS have the ability to understand the reasons of existence? Are we not also animals? :? Not trying to convert anyone, and I am HIGHLY tolerant of religion, so don't get the wrong idea; I do go to an Episcopal church (relaxed denomination of Christianity) and go to "Sunday school" (which is more of open discussion on whatever we feel like, and it's actually better than normal Sunday school as we learn how to survive in life and participate in political debates), though, as it does better me as a person. I also am the only vegetarian in my school so I have to get a chicken salad and pick the chicken out. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. :evil: I don't get Atheism, though, as it's based as much on faith as Theism. Just faith in humanity's ability to learn rather than faith in a supernatural entity. I also don't deny or accept anything, not even if "proven". Sure, something can have enough proof to act upon it, but humans just can't comprehend everything. I'm willing to accept that there's something(s) out there, but I don't think we could understand it. Just my two cents. :)

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2011, 5:36 am

I am Mormon but I have "customized" it if you will, I do not want plural marriage, I got rid of all the restrictions I could, I hate restriction! I base everything off of rationalism and logic (Like House), while still putting faith in God. 1 of my 2 narrow subjects I focus on is Human Behavior, so that helps with a lot. I am tolerant and indifferent towards everything so far, I try to understand something to the best of my abilities before giving my opinion, I think that goes with the rationalism and logic part.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

bridgete2010 wrote:

Im a little confused, u kind of need to believe in the evil god of satan to be a satanist,, and they usually rely on the power of satan and not themselves, not really trying to argue with you just saying im confused by what u said

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
bridgete2010 wrote:

Im a little confused, u kind of need to believe in the evil god of satan to be a satanist,, and they usually rely on the power of satan and not themselves, not really trying to argue with you just saying im confused by what u said

LeVeyan Satanism, from what I've seen and read, is a cross between Ayn Rand and Alister Crowley - objectivism and occultism. They follow a philosophical ideal (of the selfish antagonist) as opposed to an actual diety and are closer to the Eastern type religions than the Western.

I usually just say it is Taoism's angry cousin.

Kind of a strange practice, but I have seen it be a healthy influence on certain people in building confidence and self-esteem. 1000x better than scientology, for example... Even if it definatly isn't for everyone (and isn't for me either).

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

I think it would be foolish to try and make a judgement on whether or not there is such a thing as a god. Humans don't even fully understand nature, especially fysics, so who are we to try and figure out where nature came from? Either way, it's a pretty stunning sequence of events from how we came from a concentrated point of energy smaller than an atom to what the universe is now, regardless of it being "triggered" by a "god" or it just being bound to happen by forces of nature, so I guess I would find both paths weird.

This is my best attempt at writing down how I think about religion, please take in account I'm not a native English speaker.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

I believe in a creator, but I do not subscribe to any religious sect.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm

AnonymousPasserBy wrote:
I think it would be foolish to try and make a judgement on whether or not there is such a thing as a god. Humans don't even fully understand nature, especially fysics, so who are we to try and figure out where nature came from? Either way, it's a pretty stunning sequence of events from how we came from a concentrated point of energy smaller than an atom to what the universe is now, regardless of it being "triggered" by a "god" or it just being bound to happen by forces of nature, so I guess I would find both paths weird.

This is my best attempt at writing down how I think about religion, please take in account I'm not a native English speaker.

wow i wouldve never guessed you werent a native english speaker, your english is perfect! :)

whitchry9
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I'm an atheist. Although many believe that atheists are bad people who shouldn't be trusted. People always think that an absence of religion equals an absence of moral judgement. Not true! Morals and altruism are a product of evolutionary psychology. Many social animals, especially mammals, have rules for cohabitation and cooperation. Last I heard, they don't adhere to a religion. I actually find it a bit disturbing when someone thinks they need religion as the sole reason to adhere to a moral code.

Yes! Thank you. I made this point during a presentation I gave for my sort of philosophy class. I think it's silly that we must rely on a higher power to determine our ethics and morals. There's no one rule that can be followed.
(When it comes to ethics, I'm an act utilitarianist. But that's another topic altogether.)

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2011, 1:44 am

Unlike Christianity, which gained power and political ascendancy several hundred years AD and worked out it's core doctrines; Satanism didn't get to come out into the light until the 1960s. Since then there have been many different individuals and groups who have come to their own understanding of 'Satan'; including (though not limited to) those who believe that Satan is like the biblical image; those who see Satan as an archetype for free will and personal empowerment; those who view Satan as a masculine force of nature; and others beside.

The reason many only view Satan as the opposite of God is that, unlike the actual Satanists themselves, most folk don't give it the time or personal interest required to think beyond the common folk understanding.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2011, 8:14 am

I always tell that I am an atheist openly, but I'm not sure if I'm a satanist or atheist.
But where I am only 6% of the country is atheist. So my non-religion is odd which is why I thought it would fit in here.

Ztrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I'm an atheist. Although many believe that atheists are bad people who shouldn't be trusted. People always think that an absence of religion equals an absence of moral judgement. Not true! Morals and altruism are a product of evolutionary psychology. Many social animals, especially mammals, have rules for cohabitation and cooperation. Last I heard, they don't adhere to a religion. I actually find it a bit disturbing when someone thinks they need religion as the sole reason to adhere to a moral code.

If you want to see some REALLY strange religious beliefs, check out this link: Objective Ministries teaching kids to bash other beliefs

Is that link a parody or is it real? anyway im much happier as an atheist than as a deist!

ptjman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2011, 6:24 pm

I am an atheist, yet my catholic parents think i am joking and i am being a complete idiot about it.

FrankAbagnaleJr
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2011, 5:47 am

I have no spiritual believes at all, but my parents are christian. When I was little I always thought it was just a tradition or a cultural thing, like Santa Claus, I didn't realize that people actually believe that, so when I did, it made me a bit sad. But now I've met too many cool and smart religious people to be judging someone by their religious views. I guess that the part of your brain that makes you has nothing to do with the part of brain that makes you believe irrational stuff.

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 1:00 pm

mike_the_poet wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
I am LDS or Mormon, everyone thinks we are weird....too bad.

OMGosh, a fellow member yay!, I'm 18 (a priest) nice to meet you

I'm one too...

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

EGGREGUYOUS wrote:
I am Mormon but I have "customized" it if you will, I do not want plural marriage

You couldn't anyway because its not allowed :)