Is it worth telling my friends that I have AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2011, 12:51 am

I can almost pass for an NT but I'm still perceived as the shy weird socially awkward person. I feel as though if I tell my friends they will judge me and treat differently. The 2 friends have have told several years ago both started to treat me differently after I told them. Is it worth telling them even though they will probalbly judge me?

TB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 2:01 am

well it depends on the kind of friend, if they are aware and informed about the spectrum you can gain a lot. BUT if they are like i was before getting diagnosed or 90% of ppl out there, then you do not gain anything by telling them. If you want to stamp yourself with a whole bunch of negative stereotypes then go ahead and say you are autistic. Instead just tell them about character traits that apply to you without mentioning labels that trigger all kinds of bad thoughts. Truth is that autism is a very negative word for the general public and saying you are autistic will drop your social status with a lot of people to child level (so stupid but that is just what happens).

They are really open minded/well informed about the spectrum = yes

They are an average person = NO.

Just my opinion.

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2011, 7:42 am

Do NOT tell them, even if they accept you they may leak it. Most people DO NOT accept people on the spectrum and i don`t know why.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 7:46 am

I would think if they're really good friends, it wouldn't matter. They should just be able to accept you for you. Then again, if they're the type to gossip, you may not want to even if you are close to them.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

It depends on the type of person you're telling. Do you want a blabber mouth going on about your diagnosis?

Anyways, that's for you to decide.