Does anyone have religious beliefs viewed as odd by others?

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

Since we do tend to think differently naturally our religious beliefs may be a bit different. I am a christian but i do have other spiritual beliefs as well. I have always believed that all the different gods are the same god, and all religions are different ways he wanted us to live. see in the christian bible it says man isnt perfect, and i believe he made different religions so that his perfection could be on earth, its just seperated into different little chunks. Christians are very loyal to their god, while Native Americans and hindus go more in depth on how to love nature, all these are different parts of how he wanted us to live. I also believe animals and trees are our brothers and sisters therefor i dont hunt, but i dont judge those who do hunt because we need to hunt so animals dont get overpopulated.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

I am LDS or Mormon, everyone thinks we are weird....too bad.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2011, 9:28 pm

chrissyrun wrote:

I think it would be very hard to be a mormon since their rules are very strict, in fact they are based off of the puritans correct? I dont think its a weird religion at all i just think it is a very challenging religion to follow and i think its amazing you and your mom follow it.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

I'm an atheist. Although many believe that atheists are bad people who shouldn't be trusted. People always think that an absence of religion equals an absence of moral judgement. Not true! Morals and altruism are a product of evolutionary psychology. Many social animals, especially mammals, have rules for cohabitation and cooperation. Last I heard, they don't adhere to a religion. I actually find it a bit disturbing when someone thinks they need religion as the sole reason to adhere to a moral code.

If you want to see some REALLY strange religious beliefs, check out this link: Objective Ministries teaching kids to bash other beliefs

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I'm an atheist. Although many believe that atheists are bad people who shouldn't be trusted. People always think that an absence of religion equals an absence of moral judgement. Not true! Morals and altruism are a product of evolutionary psychology. Many social animals, especially mammals, have rules for cohabitation and cooperation. Last I heard, they don't adhere to a religion. I actually find it a bit disturbing when someone thinks they need religion as the sole reason to adhere to a moral code.

If you want to see some REALLY strange religious beliefs, check out this link: Objective Ministries teaching kids to bash other beliefs

Atheism is something that has always baffled me, but i dont believe in judging others for ther spiritual practices so of course i dont judge atheists in any way. i think its kool that you discussed some of the things that go along with Atheism. So how exactly did you begin to believe in Atheism, i mean did something happen in particuliar in your life that made you not believe in religion, or is it just one of those things you always believed in since you were little?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

bradt4evr wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:

Atheism is something that has always baffled me, but i dont believe in judging others for ther spiritual practices so of course i dont judge atheists in any way. i think its kool that you discussed some of the things that go along with Atheism. So how exactly did you begin to believe in Atheism, i mean did something happen in particuliar in your life that made you not believe in religion, or is it just one of those things you always believed in since you were little?
I don't believe in an omnipresent being because it's physically impossible. I can't believe in something that has no support in the physical sciences. So many things can be explained more logically with the scientific theory because there is tangible evidence. Mr. Newton, the granddaddy aspie himself, was said to be a closet atheist. He was too scared to admit it because the Church does cruel things to people who think too much.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

Have you ever heard that saying about not talking about religion or politics? I prefer talking about politics than religion. Me and my husband are agnostic. All our friends (the few we have) are Catholic. I dislike religion in general. But I think everybody has the right to believe in what they want. I do not mess with your believes, so please do not mess with mine. Funny we have some believes in common, like only one "God", and your feelings about nature.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

Ilka wrote:
I do not mess with your believes, so please do not mess with mine. Funny we have some believes in common, like only one "God", and your feelings about nature.
No one is messing with anyone's beliefs. We're all just stating what we believe, but no one is demanding that anyone else think the same way.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 12:04 am

Ilka wrote:
Have you ever heard that saying about not talking about religion or politics? I prefer talking about politics than religion. Me and my husband are agnostic. All our friends (the few we have) are Catholic. I dislike religion in general. But I think everybody has the right to believe in what they want. I do not mess with your believes, so please do not mess with mine. Funny we have some believes in common, like only one "God", and your feelings about nature.

I apologize if i have made you upset, its just that i kinda like talking about different religions, i feel its ok as long as your not tryng to change other peoples beliefs, which im definitely not since im kool with all religions, well, Satan worship kinda creeps me out but nvr mind that lol. I think its pretty kool though that someone else feels the same way i do about one god, i always thought i was the only one.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2011, 12:12 am

quote="rabidmonkey4262"]I
I don't believe in an omnipresent being because it's physically impossible. I can't believe in something that has no support in the physical sciences. So many things can be explained more logically with the scientific theory because there is tangible evidence. Mr. Newton, the granddaddy aspie himself, was said to be a closet atheist. He was too scared to admit it because the Church does cruel things to people who think too much.[/quote]

Thats interesting, I cant say as though i feel the same way but again i respect your beliefs and your opinions and i dont judge you for being an atheist in any way :).

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 12:42 am

bradt4evr wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I
I don't believe in an omnipresent being because it's physically impossible. I can't believe in something that has no support in the physical sciences. So many things can be explained more logically with the scientific theory because there is tangible evidence. Mr. Newton, the granddaddy aspie himself, was said to be a closet atheist. He was too scared to admit it because the Church does cruel things to people who think too much.

Thats interesting, I cant say as though i feel the same way but again i respect your beliefs and your opinions and i dont judge you for being an atheist in any way :).
Well that certainly is good to know!

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 10:38 am

Sorry. Apparently I did not express myself correctly. I was not upset with anybody in anyway. What I meant is that as long as people do not try to "convert" me I am OK with religions. I have Catholic, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses, even Hindu friends. If they respect my beliefs, I respect theirs. I think everybody has the right to believe in what they want. But I really dislike people trying to convert others because they think they have the "only truth". It is a little pretentious to believe yours is the "only truth".

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

08 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

I don't really think about religion or atheism much, since there's no way to prove that a supreme being exists or doesn't exist.

Personally though, I agree with rabidmonkey - it's scientifically impossible. All the things associated with religion, like creationism and transubstantiation, are unsupported by natural laws. There is overwhelming evidence for evolutionism, and things can't magically transform into other things. It just doesn't happen.

In real life, the institutions associated with different religions can take advantage of people, such as the Catholic pope's sexual abuse of children and the terrorism spawned by radical Muslim beliefs. These scandals and atrocities scare me away from religion.

Of course, since there is no way to know the Truths for sure, I welcome all religious beliefs as a mark of diversity and culture. There's no reason to hate a group because of their religious beliefs.

TheInfamousArgyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm

I live in the "bible belt" and I am not christian. I have my own beliefs. Just the act of not being christian gets me some snappy remarks...

mike_the_poet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2011, 2:46 am

chrissyrun wrote:

OMGosh, a fellow member yay!, I'm 18 (a priest) nice to meet you

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

bradt4evr wrote:

I think it would be very hard to be a mormon since their rules are very strict, in fact they are based off of the puritans correct? I dont think its a weird religion at all i just think it is a very challenging religion to follow and i think its amazing you and your mom follow it.

It is challenging, but I know my life is better off with it. Anyways, it's kind part of my culture for some of those things. I don't know if it is based off of the puritans, never heard that one, I'll have to look it up. Thanks.