Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

catatonix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

I've read a bit about quiet and loud aspies, and used to be a quiet one, happy to live in my own little daydream and no problems. Over the past few years (as social pressure increased) I have started to 'act a clown' to avoid the silences that I usually have. It makes me look stupid and I don't want to do it but when there is a pause in the conversation (i.e. the others stop) I feel all the pressure is on me to fill it and I do, like an instinct.

I am perfectly happy and home where I can just stay in my room but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to block out everyone else at school. It makes me feel stupid when I do it and I really hate it.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 9:03 pm

I'm kind of that way too. I act out of character and do stupid things when I'm nervous.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:37 pm

I'm more of a quiet than a loud person. I don't mind loud noise. I actually love loud music. My irritating younger siblings have made me nearly immune to loud noises. I rarely ever break out in song or make similar because that would cause the spontaneous shattering of glass. I don't think anyone would want to hear my tone deafness.

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2012, 4:41 am

You are probably being more talkative because it might be a cry for attention... what do you want to say? What can you offer me?

I am also trying not to be a clown at school, but I've helped it by trying to be "conscious", catch myself when I feel the urge to talk or do something, then I ask myself "why?".
Personally, I have discovered the art of keeping things unsaid by watching the Mentalist & FullMetal Alchemist. :3

Dia
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

I only feel comfortable when it's quiet. Anything else and i get anxious. Struggle to speak louder than a whisper, have to repeat myself several times before people can usually hear what i'm saying

catatonix

05 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

thanks you guys. and I thought it could be to do with attention, but to be honest I don't like the people all that much anyway. I just feel like all the pressure is on me to speak. You guys have been great :)

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

I was the same way too when I was in my freshman year of high school, I had always tried to find something to say whenever I could. It's like what you mentioned about avoiding the silences. I eventually let the thought get off my mind and just be who I am.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Well others hate voids in silence...it's likely a peer pressure issue.

I suggest just going about your business.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

I usually get ignored in conversations... so I'm good. xD