Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2012, 5:07 pm

My mum has always disencouraged my special interests she ignores them and always has, never buying something that I associate or if she does she does it grudgingly. I feel that this has really upset my confidence over the years and no I am going through the strangest thing I ever have and I don't have anyone to sort it out! I am speaking to this lady who is a councillor not a pshycologist (I didn't know they were differnet things) and I'm trying to work on my self confidence and think I'm going to have to be strong wnough to explain this stuff to her. But does this happen a lot or is it just me? I read someplace that its what they are taught to do

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

What are your special interests? You explained it here just fine, so do it in the exact (sort of) same way. Then maybe confront your mother about it to see what her real reason is behind ignoring them.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

My parents discuss my special interests for a while but they do directly tell me that they're bored when they have had enough.

PixieXW wrote:
I read someplace that its what they are taught to do

The "professionals" really don't have a clue as to what they're talking about, do they? People on the spectrum often find manners and social customs difficult to understand, so, in what way is teaching said Autistic people that ignoring those who try to converse with them is acceptable a good idea?