OLDER TEENS:what age do you feel you lost childhood?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 8:18 pm

I mean in mental developmental, not an event that made you create a responsible mentality.
In reality, there is no "growing up fast" unless you've got like a neurological enhancement.

Generally, basic adult thinking capabilities are reached by about age 15.

I notice that around the 8th grade, youth realize they are men and women and they are still developing through beginning of high school.
That is partly why many upperclassmen make fun of freshmen, because they look like even worse ret*d adults than middle-late teenagers.

I feel about 2 years delayed, but I'm 16, so things are getting easier.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Aug 2012, 12:28 am

Well, I never really had a childhood to begin with. It kind of ended as soon as my sister learned how to walk. You grow up fast when you don't get taken care of.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 12:30 am

I read this as: When did you become a man? :lol:

Upperclassmen make fun of freshman because that's what happened to them.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:31 am

I find it difficult to place any sort of age relativity on my mental development. In some ways, I am very mature for my age (seventeen), from what I have been told numerous times. I see no point in the quarrels, grudges, and "games" that so often accompany adolescence. In other ways, however, I am still very much a child: I tend to tire easily of stressful stimuli, I am more insecure than others, and many tend to perceive me as "innocent." There are days when I feel like an adult trapped in the "past"; there are days when I feel like a young child trying to stumble through the "adult world."
I see myself as someone with the heart of a child and the mind of an adult in the body of a teenager.

On a humorous note: I'm a senior in high school and I am sometimes bullied by the freshmen. :lol:

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:55 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Well, I never really had a childhood to begin with. It kind of ended as soon as my sister learned how to walk. You grow up fast when you don't get taken care of.

But you were still mentally a child, as in your maturity level?

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 4:20 pm

I feel like I lost my childhood at about age 14. And by lost my childhood, I mean everything seemed less exciting and I realized how s***ty the world is. It was also at that age that I became a lot more thick-skinned emotionally, and a lot more intellectually mature.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

But you were still mentally a child, as in your maturity level?

Nope. I had the mind of a 16 year old at 6 years old.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm still a child. I've felt the same way about most things my whole life, my thoughts just get more detailed.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2012, 12:47 am

UnLoser wrote:
I feel like I lost my childhood at about age 14. And by lost my childhood, I mean everything seemed less exciting and I realized how s***ty the world is.

This was 100% accurate for me as well.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

31 Aug 2012, 12:55 am

When I started middle school, and especially during high school.

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

I'd say when I was 13 or 14. I began to look at life more disenchantedly than I used to, realized that, as many possibilities as there might be for me, as many limits, things I could never reach... I'm not sure how to describe it. I guess the future was suddenly closer and from turning 14 to turning 19 time seemed to run faster yet things were more difficult than (in comparison) between the ages 9 to 14.
I used to worry about a lot of things before then and how I acted in my life might not have changed that much but my way of perception has definitely changed at that age.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2012, 2:47 pm

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm 14 right now and I feel like I've lost my childhood, even adolescence, in a maturity sense.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

Early teens, 13; even so young I perceived myself to be a normal adult person (mentally, at least, of course) like any other woman, only younger, underage - that's the only difference, and I behaved and thought according to this conviction, I wasn't mentally any less adult than I am now, just younger, just like now I'm an adult and when I'm like, let's say, 40, I'll be an adult too, which doesn't mean I'm not an adult now, though there's still a lot of years to live by me, I'm just younger than a future me at 40. Even before, as a child, I was really very adult like when it comes to my way of thinking and things I knew about and normal kids have no idea about, in many respects I was rather like a little woman rather than a little girl.

cherrycoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2012, 7:24 am

When I was about 14 I considered my self an adult. Now I'm twenteentwo and I refuse to grow up!
Not sure if there is a defining moment, it's just thrust upon you at 18.

When i was 16, I thought wow I was an idiot at 14.

When i was 18, I thought wow I was an idiot at 16.

When i was 20, I thought wow I was an idiot at 18.

Now I'm 22, I can see what an idiot I was at 20. I hope it continues this way throughout life.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

As soon as I became a teenager, so 13.